Pro Bowl Appearances vs Win Percentage by Team - Guess Who's the Outlier?

mramefa

In case any of you thought we were now being respected by the media, or that we should celebrate Tre's (well deserved) appearance as being enough, here you go.

I throw together a quick graphic of win percentage vs pro bowl appearances by team. Guess who's the clear outlier in terms of under representation...

Pro-Bowl.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The team that has been poor to average for a long time and is having a breakout season this year? The team that is really young and has a lot of guys on their way up?

I see what you're saying, but that's not because of some unfairness. This is an extremely young team and the voters are just getting to know most of our players and teams with records like ours over the past four or five years don't tend to put a lot of guys in the Pro Bowl.

This'll even out quickly now that we're winning and our guys are maturing.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Haha nice graph, always great to get a good visual  !

Well, I suppose you can spin it by saying that Buffalo is the ultimate "sum being greater than its parts" team.  Coach would probably like this, team first !

Anyway, this whole pro bowl thing is a bit of a joke really, the selections are as much on reputation and star power than on performance IMO...

Edited by Belgium_Bill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So the Steelers have 5 and there's all this talk about Tomlin earning coach of the year.  Hmmm.  Look at what McDermott has done, with hardly anyone the league considers a star.  The Bills are tight, cohesive, disciplined (except for all those penalties...).  They reflect their coach.  The only competition for McDermott I can see are the coaches of SF and GB.

• Like (+1) 3

Honestly this seems about right to me.  The Bills are a good team, but they don't have a lot of high-end star power.  They're mostly above-average across the board with no real weak links.  You'd kind of expect this team to have a disproportionate number of wins vs. Pro Bowl selections.

• Like (+1) 3

Pro Bowl is a joke.  The reason the Bills have 90m in cap space is they are a team, not a handful of  $100m pro bowl shiny toys surrounded by low end talent.   I'll take the super bowl over the pro bowl every day.   and WNY will never be hailed, respected or even acknowledged by the TV ratings focused national media in our lifetiimes, so forget that.  Just enjoy it.  This is a special year free from injuries, team playing well enough win 2 out of every three games, seems like a great tight locker room.  This doesn't come along very often for most teams.  Sit back and enjoy. 

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest for the most part. All Pro is where the true answer lies. There are varying opinions about who should have been on the AFC Pro Bowl team, but we can all agree the Bills should have had more than one guy. Either way, congrats to Tre for making his first. The main goal still lies ahead for this team.

image.jpeg.8925d804b5eeed145cd0454fd7de788d.jpeg

5 hours ago, nrenegar said:

In case any of you thought we were now being respected by the media, or that we should celebrate Tre's (well deserved) appearance as being enough, here you go.

I throw together a quick graphic of win percentage vs pro bowl appearances by team. Guess who's the clear outlier in terms of under representation...

Pro-Bowl.jpg

You mention Tre in the OP. 

Why not state this there?   Every comment here has already been stated there (and more) 

the chief among them 

(many) Pro Bowl (selections) is a joke. 

Just now, The Red King said:

Who else should have gone?  I love the Bills, but they are a collection of very good players with very little star power.  What other Bills player earned a spot that wasn't outplayed by 2-3 other AFC guys at their position?

Phillips.  He has 9.5 sacks as a DT.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Who else should have gone?  I love the Bills, but they are a collection of very good players with very little star power.  What other Bills player earned a spot that wasn't outplayed by 2-3 other AFC guys at their position?

That’s what I was thinking. Smoke might be deserving but he’s not a fantasy football stud so not a lot of people pay attention. Jordan Phillips probably as well. Outside of that I can’t really make a case for anyone else 

I saw on instagram that the Ravens got 12 guys selected to the pro bowl. 

good for them, they are the hottest team in the AFC. 

but come on, we have double digit wins and are playoff bound, and only get 1 guy? That doesn’t seem right. I would say we deserve 3 or 4 guys selected. 

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good let them get disrespected.  Provides more motivation.

Someone told me on here that the players don't pay attention to the media and it is stupid to think that this stuff could serve as any kind of motivation....cough, cough, ehe-Weo-ehem. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, nrenegar said:

Pro-Bowl.jpg

This is fine.