Jerry Hughes performance of late

Curious what the board thinks. He has not gotten the sacks or even many negative plays. But when I watch him, he is still very disruptive, wins many of his one on one situations, maintains containment reasonably well, and is holding his own against the run. Overall I think he is still playing at a high level and with Lawson playing opposite him more as of late, the D-line has been more dominant. 

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 3

I think Hughes is tailing off a bit, but would look a whole lot better if he was playing opposite a premiere pass rusher. I've always viewed him as a very good player, but not quite good enough to be the "number 1." Kind of like a John Brown is a 1B/2 type receiver. 

Bills have a ton of resources and adding a stud DE would change the complexion of an already VERY good D by adding a certain havoc wreaking element. 

Murphy's a goner. I wouldn't pay Shaq what I think he may very well get in the open market. Wanna see a big move here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I think he very possibly could be one of the individuals replaced in the offseason.  Could probably replace his production for a lot less

We just extended him, though, and not for very much (relative to other DEs that can consistently generate pressure in today's market)

I expect him to have more of a 'ride off into the sunset' style of leaving with us a la Kyle

• Like (+1) 1

The disruption is huge. Same goes for Edmunds. He only has 1.5 sacks but imagine that dude getting anywhere near you. I know there was a play last week (that I can't find) where Edmunds crashed in on Duck untouched, and Hodges just tossed it away like "nope". Those plays don't really hit a lot of stat sheets. This defense can be chaos for QBs right now.

And Jerry still has 4.5 sacks so he's contributing. His 10 sack years were on bad teams where he was pretty much the guy, and now he's a piece of the puzzle. You've got Ed Oliver now, Tremaine Edmunds, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, and then Jerry Hughes still picking up 5-6 sacks a season? That's scary.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think Hughes is tailing off a bit, but would look a whole lot better if he was playing opposite a premiere pass rusher. I've always viewed him as a very good player, but not quite good enough to be the "number 1." Kind of like a John Brown is a 1B/2 type receiver. 

Bills have a ton of resources and adding a stud DE would change the complexion of an already VERY good D by adding a certain havoc wreaking element. 

Murphy's a goner. I wouldn't pay Shaq what I think he may pay Shaq what I think he may very well get in the open market. Wanna see a big move here.

34 minutes ago, MyDogLuvsPB said:

I don't know what financial incentives we have to keep/release Hughes in the offseason, but I hope we re-sign Phillips and try to get a premiere pass rusher in free agency.  I don't think Shaq deserves a huge contract from us.  I don't think Murphy returns either.

Shaq definitely deserves a new contract from the Bills. Whether it's considered satisfactory compensation to him and his agent will be the issue. Hopefully the Bills are fair with their offer.

• Like (+1) 1

not a fan of hughes....

he is going nowhere for 2020 with his dead cap at $10.85 mil

likely out for 2021 when his dead cap is $2.1 mil

trent murphy is likely gone for 2020 with a dead cap of $1.75 mil

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hughes is the most underrated and misdiagnosed and misunderstood player on this defense and has been for years. 

I think he's wildly overrated by some, and wildly underrated by others. The truth seems to be somewhere in the middle, to me.

I've always said that Hughes is the kind that needs a dominant pass rusher opposite from him to really be effective on his side. He just doesn't make the impact plays anymore like he used to when we had Mario getting double digits sacks.

To me he's a guy that can absolutely be replaced, but that's kind of how this defense is outside of Tre White. Solid players all of them, but you can keep rolling if some of them get injured or you lose on in free agency. It's a committee defense, and especially so on the defensive line.

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

The disruption is huge. Same goes for Edmunds. He only has 1.5 sacks but imagine that dude getting anywhere near you. I know there was a play last week (that I can't find) where Edmunds crashed in on Duck untouched, and Hodges just tossed it away like "nope". Those plays don't really hit a lot of stat sheets. This defense can be chaos for QBs right now.

And Jerry still has 4.5 sacks so he's contributing. His 10 sack years were on bad teams where he was pretty much the guy, and now he's a piece of the puzzle. You've got Ed Oliver now, Tremaine Edmunds, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, and then Jerry Hughes still picking up 5-6 sacks a season? That's scary.

And you don't see much of that out of Hughes. He'll get pressure sometimes, sure, but no huge impact plays. That was a huge, impact play from Edmunds and yeah, it's not on the stat sheet, but we can go an entire game without hearing "Jerry Hughes". He is not as effective at making those impact plays as he used to be. Still a solid player, though, and someone who most teams would want on their line at a reasonable price tag.

• Like (+1) 1

Considering the cap space available, there's no upside to moving on from Hughes, even if his play does decline slightly (I'm not sure it has), you just use him more rotationally. 

It's valuable for the Bills to have guys like Hughes who've been in Buffalo for awhile, who has a lot of passion, who saw the difference McDermott has brought, and the progression he's made also with improving his cool-headedness from his early seasons here.

Hughes is already a leader on the team, but his presence next season and perhaps beyond is more valuable than whatever savings would be earned from releasing.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Every week I see him at least one time coming around the tackle with an arm hooked around his neck and he hasn't drawn a holding call in forever.  Keep hustling Jerry.

Yeap hard to get sacked being tackled by the neck n held on most plays.