Watt punch on Allen run - He hung on to the ball!

This may have been tucked into one of the post game threads - apologies if I missed it.

YPP put up a clip of the run play where Allen DIDN'T fumble when Watt punched at the ball.

I thought it was worth a look.  I think Allen has been working hard at ball security, and while it's still a work in progress, I'm impressed that he hung on to the ball here.   "High and tight, Bills Claw!"

Is it just me, or did Watt get him in the parts too?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Kudos for holding on but if watt doesn’t whiff on it, that thing easily pops out. 

oh well. Missed opportunities like that on either side of the ball for any team any given week. 

Just now, RiotAct said:

was this the one fairly late in the game?  I thought for sure he whiffed completely but I guess not

Not completely but if he had connected like he intended Allen had no chance. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Kudos for holding on but if watt doesn’t whiff on it, that thing easily pops out. 

oh well. Missed opportunities like that on either side of the ball for any team any given week. 

I agree it would have been tough to hold onto if he made good contact on the way down (he didn’t completely whiff). I’m hoping Allen saw him at the last second and helped prevent the clean hit. Either way the rip back was strong and Allen held onto that. We need all the ball security we can get with this defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I agree it would have been tough to hold onto if he made good contact on the way down (he didn’t completely whiff). I’m hoping Allen saw him at the last second and helped prevent the clean hit. Either way the rip back was strong and Allen held onto that. We need all the ball security we can get with this defense. 

Right. More worried about it through the air with the pats. Their int numbers are staggering. I’d have to look at the numbers but I bet PITT leads the nfl in forced fumbles. It’s sorta their “thing” this year. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

That play should be a penalty. You can't freaking punch someone with the  hopes of jarring the ball loose. If that is the case then  just start punching the hell out of everyone that has possession. Start drafting MMA fighters to force fumbles. LOL...What a freaking joke. SHould be a unsportsmanlike  and a automatic ejection and fine.  I know it is not a rule now but going forward they need to change that immediately

• Like (+1) 16
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This may have been tucked into one of the post game threads - apologies if I missed it.

YPP put up a clip of the run play where Allen DIDN'T fumble when Watt punched at the ball.

I thought it was worth a look.  I think Allen has been working hard at ball security, and while it's still a work in progress, I'm impressed that he hung on to the ball here.   "High and tight, Bills Claw!"

Is it just me, or did Watt get him in the parts too?

It certainly looks like he got him in the junk.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WildBills said:

The more I watch it the more I don't think he whiffed completely. Josh saw him coming and held onto it somehow.

I think Allen turned the ball as they've been coaching "high and tight" so Watt's punch hit his chest protector instead of the ball. 

I also think he was determined to hang on to the ball.  Remember this is the guy that had such a ferocious grip on the ball with two hands that a Dallas defender literally pulled him out of the pile and downfield - by the ball - and he hung on.

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Watt missed the ball and Allen still almost fumbled it away

INteresting. 

No.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, WildBills said:

The more I watch it the more I don't think he whiffed completely. Josh saw him coming and held onto it somehow.

Oh he definitely did see him coming. The angle up there is different then what was on TV. He also got punched on his leg not his balls.