Bills not Browns breakout team of the year

DJB

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Donuts, these are some heady days/rarified air we get to partake of, and at long last the national narrative can catch up to the reality on the ground that we’ve been so emotionally invested in since this past offseason—I will be dragging an old topic out of the archives when our season at last draws to a close, discussing what our expectations were coming into this season—FWIW, I pegged a 10-6 mark with a WC exit—and I am happy to report that I fully expect this team to blow past these marks. What’s funny though is how many folks here stated that 9-7 or even 8-8 would be enough of a “success” over last year provided we saw good improvements/development of our franchise QB. What a difference a year makes—from a balsa wood laughingstock to Teddy Roosevelt’s big stick! :) 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd6QrU_d3nTpKx4xbrc8G

My high was 10-6, but would have been fine with 9-7.  9-7, but with no playoffs...I would have been sort of ok with as it still showed progress.

...these are good times.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The 2019 Browns are as as big a disappointment as the 2011 Eagles.  Maybe more since the Browns had more hype because of the personalities on the team.

I've been all over this NFL season (LAMP self-pat on the back). Before week one, I told a good friend that the Browns had too many "characters" within all that talent, and that they would eventually be compared to that Eagles "dream team". And here we are...

I also said the Bills floor was 9 wins this year, among other correct predictions this season. I should be rich right now, but I'm not sneaky enough to slide several Bovada bets past the Mrs. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

The difference between the two teams is the Head Coach...One is over his head and the other has COMPLETE control of his football team.  That is the difference between  the 6-8 and 10-4 teams.

The coach & GM are the difference. They have put together a strategy and are implementing it methodically. The guys that the moved out, the guys they brought in, their cultural fit and then building that culture. Something is being built here that is being built to last. The process is real and showing results. We are very fortunate to have owners with the patience and the wisdom to get the right guys and get out of their way.

18 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Browns are clearly the breakdown team of the year. Can't wait to read about their off-season.

I anticipate complete carnage. Hell, their players were begging the Cardinals to come get them! The Cardinals!!

?BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Haha (+1) 1

I was a Browns doubter, and it has gone even worse than I thought it would for them. Of course, they did beat the Bills. But the dysfunction in their locker room is going to read that team apart.

This article has me thinking about our comprehensive offensive rebuild and all the value guys we brought in on defense, especially the line.

Aren't there failed high round picks let go every year?

Could it just be that Buffalo is the place they start to look for to rehab their careers? This model could be ongoing, because we have a wining, growth mindset culture (feels so good), for guys who buy all in, it is their best chance  to blossom and do their best.

These guys have a process and plan for our team to be good for the long haul.

The Browns are a dumpster fire.

The Bills are slowly establishing themselves as a premier team under Pegula. 

They have a high end Head Coach and a high end GM, and boat loads of cap space.

We seem to be set up for long term success, unlike the Browns. 

21 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@elroy16 @section122 @NoHuddleKelly12  - See EDIT below, too.

"Oh well. That’s how these pre-season predictions go, and let’s face it, it’s been a cynical reflex for a while now to suggest both the Browns and Bills are teams that will always disappoint."

Just FYI, author of the article, the Bills have a winning record the last six years (48-46, including the playoff loss), are 46-37 over that span against teams not named Patriots.  In six years have had only 2 losing seasons and are now going to the playoffs for the second time in 3 years.

yeah, yeah...I know this year helps and I know we are not one of the teams of the decade, but for about the last half decade this has been a middling team at the very worst (33-32 including the playoff loss after McD's rookie year as coach, and 39-42 after the "take the lumps for the future" year of 2018), but generally they are thought of as one of the laughing stocks of the nfl, with no less than 3 prognosidiots having this team going 0-16 in anyone of the years 2016 and 2017.

...again...just gets tiresome.

EDIT:

Oh, and author, I know you like groupings, but before the ball snapped for the first time this September:

Bills since 2014 (incl. playoffs):  39-42

Browns since 2014 : 18-61-1

...yeah...they're like the same team, aren't they?!   :doh:  We only had...wait for it...wait for it...116% more victories than Cleveland over that span.

Someone please try and tell me there isn't an astigmatism about this team?

That’s also colloquially known as lazy reporting, and regurgitating an easy narrative bereft of even a Wikipedia search which would undercut said narrative. Good follow up gumshoe work on your part however, Donuts. Kudos!

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@elroy16 @section122 @NoHuddleKelly12  - See EDIT below, too.

"Oh well. That’s how these pre-season predictions go, and let’s face it, it’s been a cynical reflex for a while now to suggest both the Browns and Bills are teams that will always disappoint."

Just FYI, author of the article, the Bills have a winning record the last six years (48-46, including the playoff loss), are 46-37 over that span against teams not named Patriots.  In six years have had only 2 losing seasons and are now going to the playoffs for the second time in 3 years.

yeah, yeah...I know this year helps and I know we are not one of the teams of the decade, but for about the last half decade this has been a middling team at the very worst (33-32 including the playoff loss after McD's rookie year as coach, and 39-42 after the "take the lumps for the future" year of 2018), but generally they are thought of as one of the laughing stocks of the nfl, with no less than 3 prognosidiots having this team going 0-16 in anyone of the years 2016 and 2017.

...again...just gets tiresome.

EDIT:

Oh, and author, I know you like groupings, but before the ball snapped for the first time this September:

Bills since 2014 (incl. playoffs):  39-42

Browns since 2014 : 18-61-1

...yeah...they're like the same team, aren't they?!   :doh:  We only had...wait for it...wait for it...116% more victories than Cleveland over that span.

Someone please try and tell me there isn't an astigmatism about this team?

I love it.  I originally wanted to springboard this post into a thread about the Bills and where they actually fall in the NFL grand scheme of things but you started the work here.  I do want to point out that the Bills have exceeded expectations each of McDermott's 3 years here.  His first year when they jettisoned Watkins and Darby in the preseason I and a lot of fans thought the tank was on.  Nope 9-7 and playoffs.  Then last year there were posts about how Alabama could beat the Bills and they were the worst team in the NFL talent wise.  Nope 6-10 and 9th overall pick.  This year people thought maybe just maybe if everything broke right they could be 9-7 or 10-6.  Well they did that with 2 games to go.  Anywho....

Here is the list of teams that have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years:

Patriots, Chiefs, Seahawks, Saints, Rams, and Bills.  Texans and Steelers could join this club as well. 

Look at that list and think of the reputations of all of those teams.  Pats Goat coach and qb, Chiefs with Reid, Mahomes, and their weapons, Saints with Brees and Sean Payton, Wonderboy McVay, and the amazing history of the black and yellow.  Then you have the Texans who get knocked for their HC and lack of gm and the Bills who people are just now coming around on.

It occured to me during the Ravens game that respect won't be given to the Bills it will have to be taken.  When they lost to the hottest team in football and the favorites for the SB it was covered as the Bills can't beat anyone good.  Nevermind the Cowboys.  Since they lost to the Bills they must be bad.  The Steelers game really started to change people's minds.  It was the second time a lot of people got to see the Bills in 3 weeks after not seeing them for a long time (1 MNF last year with Derek Anderson) and they beat 2 darling franchises of the NFL.  I guarantee when they win on Saturday they will get even more publicity and respect.

tl;dr respect is coming but it will have to be earned from media that will do so begrudgingly when forced to.  The Bills can do that with this team.  I'm a Billiever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, section122 said:

I love it.  I originally wanted to springboard this post into a thread about the Bills and where they actually fall in the NFL grand scheme of things but you started the work here.  I do want to point out that the Bills have exceeded expectations each of McDermott's 3 years here.  His first year when they jettisoned Watkins and Darby in the preseason I and a lot of fans thought the tank was on.  Nope 9-7 and playoffs.  Then last year there were posts about how Alabama could beat the Bills and they were the worst team in the NFL talent wise.  Nope 6-10 and 9th overall pick.  This year people thought maybe just maybe if everything broke right they could be 9-7 or 10-6.  Well they did that with 2 games to go.  Anywho....

Here is the list of teams that have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years:

Patriots, Chiefs, Seahawks, Saints, Rams, and Bills.  Texans and Steelers could join this club as well. 

Look at that list and think of the reputations of all of those teams.  Pats Goat coach and qb, Chiefs with Reid, Mahomes, and their weapons, Saints with Brees and Sean Payton, Wonderboy McVay, and the amazing history of the black and yellow.  Then you have the Texans who get knocked for their HC and lack of gm and the Bills who people are just now coming around on.

It occured to me during the Ravens game that respect won't be given to the Bills it will have to be taken.  When they lost to the hottest team in football and the favorites for the SB it was covered as the Bills can't beat anyone good.  Nevermind the Cowboys.  Since they lost to the Bills they must be bad.  The Steelers game really started to change people's minds.  It was the second time a lot of people got to see the Bills in 3 weeks after not seeing them for a long time (1 MNF last year with Derek Anderson) and they beat 2 darling franchises of the NFL.  I guarantee when they win on Saturday they will get even more publicity and respect.

tl;dr respect is coming but it will have to be earned from media that will do so begrudgingly when forced to.  The Bills can do that with this team.  I'm a Billiever.

Outstanding, section122...and you should still start that post.  The above is only the beginning.

Just great.