What Steelers QB Duck Hodges actually said that motivated the Bills

Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Shaq Lawson used a perceived slight from Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Devlin “Duck” Hodges for motivation during his team’s 17-10 win at Heinz Field Sunday night.

He claims Hodges referred to the Bills defense as “normal.”

Devlin Duck Hodges apparently called the #Bills "just another defense" this week. I didn't hear it. But the Bills did.

Shaq: "I was quiet all week. I had to say some words to him.
I said 'Duck, Duck, Goose.
You can't just talk junk like that."#Billsmafia pic.twitter.com/AytmnoyUpp

— Thad Brown (@thadbrown7) December 16, 2019

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-what-duck-hodges-actually-said-that-motivated-the-bills/

Edited by HOUSE

22 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Hmmm, wonder if the Ravens used similar for motivation when Josh Allen said it was "just another game" !?!?

I was just going to post the same thing.   I know what he meant... That they/he had to approach it as just another game.  But, I could easily see the Raven defense taking it as throwing some shade.    Hopefully, he and the rest of the team stay quiet and focused this week..and into the playoffs.   You never know what may serve as motivation for some one.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Shaq Lawson used a perceived slight from Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Devlin “Duck” Hodges for motivation during his team’s 17-10 win at Heinz Field Sunday night.

Devlin Duck Hodges apparently called the #Bills "just another defense" this week. I didn't hear it. But the Bills did.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-what-duck-hodges-actually-said-that-motivated-the-bills/

Ok i read the article, I don't know who Tim Benz is but if I'm reading his article right he is the one that passed on the original "comment" by Duck and now this article is is a b*tch slap on "you guys are totally overreacting, but whatever".

here's what i'll say - outside of the Duck comments the Bills were being slighted at almost every turn, GMFB, pre-game shows, etc were all picking the Steelers and it was akin to "Buffalo doesnt have a chance" without really saying it, just unanimous "the Steelers win this one".  Now with Duck's comments, his words, "I'm not sure there's anything they do just special" when referring to the straight up 3rd ranked D in the league (probably 2nd or even 1st in some categories) i can see why they felt dissed.

anytime someone/something is top 5 in professional sports - you know they are doing something special.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Yeah this was discussed in another thread but here is the exact quote from Duck:

“They are just a solid group. They’ve got really good players all around. I don’t know if there is anything they do just special. But they just are a solid, solid defense that comes each and every week. Ready to play.”

Key sentence was "I don’t know if there is anything they do just special." If you aren't special than you are normal. That coupled with calling a top 3 defense "solid" should have been taken as disrespect from a 3 game starting undrafted rookie QB. Glad they handled him accordingly, and on a national stage at that.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was just going to post the same thing.   I know what he meant... That they/he had to approach it as just another game.  But, I could easily see the Raven defense taking it as throwing some shade.    Hopefully, he and the rest of the team stay quiet and focused this week..and into the playoffs.   You never know what may serve as motivation for some one.

Hope he learns from that.  The way to handle every opponent is to set them up like bowling pins - say how great they are and how difficult it will be (not "just another game).  And on game day, knock them DOWN!!

• Like (+1) 1

Even Ernie Adams got into the fray.  He said it was difficult to watch the covert video of Bills sideline hand signals because he found "such an ugly bunch of players too much of a distraction" to his photographic memory.  While Adams & Belechick raised a glass of fine scotch to celebrate their 12th win in advance on a Tuesday morning, Belichick added "McDerrmott looks like a shaved monkey".

Edited by ChasBB
  • Haha (+1) 1