Do we use this Pats game to work on JA vs complex defense/blitz?

Ramza86

We all know about JA's issues against good defenses/pressure

We clinched a spot....do we throw Josh in the lions den this week and focus solely on his decision making against this complex defense? Maybe let him call the plays or only work on making the right throw instead of saying...getting a first down in that particular situation. 

I would give up this game if it would help JA get better against complicated defenses and pressure.

At the end of the day, he needs to be better against strong defenses.

What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but do we have a choice? We can’t make them play a certain style of defense. I’d guess New England will play him like they did last time (with a few new wrinkles) until he proves he can beat it. 

You could try to "protect" him. Kind of like we did against Pitt. 

Try and establish run...minimize mistakes...blah blah blah. 

To me...he needs to go out there and make the right read and hopefully not turn it over in the process.

Hes gotta be willing to make the mistakes this game...At least i think so.

No

You treat this game exactly the way you treat every game which is to devise a game plan that you believe can defeat the opponent and work on becoming more efficient.

If Josh Allen was a little more accurate on about 3-4 of his passes and the receivers hadn’t have dropped 4 passes and Motor hadn’t have fumbled the Steelers game wouldn’t have been close.

lots of IF’S there which is exactly the point.   Focus on the execution and efficiency, that’s the difference of us being a one and done or one win playoff team to being a championship caliber one.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If Josh didn't go all gunslinger against the pats* the first time, there's a good chance we'd be leading the division right now. We still have a chance to retake it, so no, don't sacrifice this game for his development. Instead, use the game to show him how to win with a balanced approach, just like we did in the Steelers game.

Just now, Magox said:

No

You treat this game exactly the way you treat every game which is to devise a game plan that you believe can defeat the opponent and work on becoming more efficient.

If Josh Allen was a little more accurate on about 3-4 of his passes and the receivers hadn’t have dropped 4 passes and Motor hadn’t have fumbled the Steelers game wouldn’t have been close.

lots of IF’S there which is exactly the point.   Focus on the execution and efficiency, that’s the difference of us being a one and done or one win playoff team to being a championship caliber one.

Right...but you can do that next week against the Jets and in the playoffs.

I think there is a real look here at gaining some experience and becoming a better QB. If you just play to your strengths then you are just conceding that this is JAs limit as a passer.

I think with any QB youd ideally want them to be as cerebral as Brees/Manning/Brady. This is a chance to gain some mental experience and not just do what works and try to win.

I'm still not understanding the question - the Bills don't get to decide what defense the Pats play.  That's what practice in the offseason is for.  They are 10-4 with a legitimate shot at beating the Pats.  At this point you shouldn't be switching the formula too much.  If you want to put a little more on his plate you can do that, but I'm reading your statement as just throwing him to the wolves and take the L.  What if Belichek decides just not to blitz?  They need to gameplan how they have been gameplanning and put the team in the best position to win.

We should, and will, treat this game like every other game. We will prepare a game plan to win, and go out and do that. 

Josh will get better, as you are implying we try and do through your way, as a result of preparing for the weeks game plan and going into the game and executing it. Simple as that. 

33 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

To me...he needs to go out there and make the right read and hopefully not turn it over in the process.

Oh ok. Gotcha. I misunderstood the question. I’m definitely in the “prepare exactly the same as you normally would” crowd. We still have a chance at the division, albeit remote, so you go try to win this thing and extend that for another week. 

Also, it’s important to note the impact of the Steelers win on this game. We’re already in as the 5 seed no matter what. This should be the loosest, most relaxed we’ve ever been playing these guys. Regardless of whether we win the division, a win would be huge for this team’s confidence going into the playoffs. This is the hump we’ve not been able to get over divisionally. 

42 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I don't think they are protecting Josh. I think they are protecting the team. You can't win games where you don't move the sticks and turn the ball over. The last few games from Josh have been based around him no effing it all up like the first pats game. 

Josh has a difficult time seeing it then throwing it on time so he either throws the ball late/behind or holds onto it too long. He'll also go for the home run ball over the first down throw 8/10. These are things that need to be worked on every single week regardless of opponent or point in the season. 

Just now, Mango said:

I don't think they are protecting Josh. I think they are protecting the team. You can't win games where you don't move the sticks and turn the ball over. The last few games from Josh have been based around him no effing it all up like the first pats game. 

Josh has a difficult time seeing it then throwing it on time so he either throws the ball late/behind or holds onto it too long. He'll also go for the home run ball over the first down throw 8/10. These are things that need to be worked on every single week regardless of opponent or point in the season. 

Correct....but I would make sure that we focus on these weaknesses in reading coverages...i just want to make sure JA knows where the ball should go and can he put it there. 

Like if he doesnt have time in the pocket, id rather him work on moving around in the pocket instead of panicking and just taking any one on one he sees. Ya know? I dont care if he takes the sack...make sure the right decision is made in terms of where the ball has to go. Ya know?

How about for once we reverse the script and plan in depth for the Patriots like they always plan for us. That we break down their weaknesses and focus on them. That we analyze in depth what got Josh off his game last time and avoid those plays. That we mix up what we normally do to get THEIR defense on their heels. I'm so sick of the lack of intelligent game planning by Bills coaches over the years against the Pats. 20 years almost of being scared and intimidated by Belichick and Brady. They are so vulnerable right now. Even the useless Bengals had them a little off balance last week in their game (until the Bengals gave the game away with horrendous avoidable errors). This is our biggest game against them in 2 decades, its time to pull out all the stops!

• Like (+1) 1

I think the bigger question is do we sit the majority of our starters week 17 if we lose to the Pats this week?  I say YES.  No need to risk injury in a game that wouldn't matter seed wise.  Unless they really want that 11th win.  

4 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

We all know about JA's issues against good defenses/pressure

We clinched a spot....do we throw Josh in the lions den this week and focus solely on his decision making against this complex defense? Maybe let him call the plays or only work on making the right throw instead of saying...getting a first down in that particular situation. 

I would give up this game if it would help JA get better against complicated defenses and pressure.

At the end of the day, he needs to be better against strong defenses.

What do you think?

Isnt like saying if the bills play the Ravens again it’s a great chance to work on getting blitzed a ton? 

Pats will bring 5, 6 or 7 on every passing down.  Better Be ready for it. 

Allen is still very much in development despite all of his improvements. He's learning from every game. BTW I loved the way he let Cody Ford spike the ball after the first TD v Pittsburgh. 

The Bills need to just keep doing what they have been doing all season. Don't try to get fancy just because it's NE. All normal laws of physics seem to get tossed aside every time this matchup rolls around anyway. Why convolute it now? Trust the process. 

Edited by SloanBillsFan