Houston would be a juicy matchup for us in 1st round...

bills6969

Of all the potential 1st round opponents, Houston would be our most favorable matchup. They have a weak pass rush (assuming Watt doesn’t comeback). They have a high octane offense, but do most of their damage in the air.  This would be a good matchup for us as we have one of best passing defenses in the league.  I’m hoping we get Houston in the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Buffalo wins that game easily. Houston ain't that good. 

Agreed. Houston will be favored, but mostly because they've got home field. It will just be a fun matchup: Houston is explosive, but they can also implode in epic fashion. The Bills are the opposite - steady, stable, seemingly always in the game.  Overall I'd be more scared of the Titans or of any other AFC playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1

Yea Houston is inconsistent. They have a couple of quality wins vs KC and New England but they were trampled by the Ravens and laid an egg against the Broncos. Their offense weaponry is good, their Quarterback is very good but their offensive line is still up and down (Tunsil has played well but man the penalties). Defensively they are struggling in the trenches and their secondary is inconsistent. Zach Cunningham in their linebacking unit is for real though. One of my favourite guys in the league to watch play.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Houston is inconsistent. They have a couple of quality wins vs KC and New England but they were trampled by the Ravens and laid an egg against the Broncos. Their offense weaponry is good, their Quarterback is very good but their offensive line is still up and down (Tunsil has played well but man the penalties). Defensively they are struggling in the trenches and their secondary is inconsistent. Zach Cunningham in their linebacking unit is for real though. One of my favourite guys in the league to watch play.

Pretty much agree with this. If you keep the game in front of you, you beat them. They live and die by the big plays.

They also lost 10-6 to the Panthers (or a similar score) and our defense is far superior to the Panthers defense.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

it’s about the best you can hope for in a wild card round.

When everyone shows up it’s a tough game (as playoffs should be) but we match up well and I think they have more downside than us. 

not a gimme. Should be a good game.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think any win is going to be easy in the playoffs.

im also a little concerned about our secondary play outside of Tre’. Houston has 3-4 wide receivers who are very talented, with Hopkins being elite. 
They don’t have a scary running back but Watson can make plays with his legs if he needs to. 
their defense is not great but let’s be honest the Bills offense isn’t a touchdown machine consistently.

I think the Bills can win but I’m by no means thinking it’s a cake walk. 

Houston is definitely the matchup I want.  Honestly though, KC would be okay too.  Both of those teams have average (KC) to bad (HOU) defenses.

The one team I don't want to play is TEN.  Not because they're great, but because I don't want a rematch and I don't feel like seeing replays of Homerun Throwback over and over again for a week.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Pretty much agree with this. If you keep the game in front of you, you beat them. They live and die by the big plays.

They also lost 10-6 to the Panthers (or a similar score) and our defense is far superior to the Panthers defense.

16-10. Carolina did a really good bend and not break job exactly as you suggested. Houston moved the ball but they did not hit the big play. Was all dink and dunk and when the tried the deep shot Carolina smothered it. I think the Bills are capable of a similar gameplan - the key is to stay patient even when it feels like they are having success against you because they are moving it.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s about the best you can hope for in a wild card round.

When everyone shows up it’s a tough game (as playoffs should be) but we match up well and I think they have more downside than us. 

not a gimme. Should be a good game.

I think we could well win that game.

5 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Houston is definitely the matchup I want.  Honestly though, KC would be okay too.  Both of those teams have average (KC) to bad (HOU) defenses.

The one team I don't want to play is TEN.  Not because they're great, but because I don't want a rematch and I don't feel like seeing replays of Homerun Throwback over and over again for a week.

I don't want to play KC. I think that is the one game that likely could turn into a track meet and I am not yet convinced by our capacity to keep up in those sorts of games.

• Like (+1) 1

It's the playoffs, nothing will be "easy". Houston is probably the best match-up for the Bills, but they beat the Pats at home, KC at Arrowhead, played GB and Saints tough (both losses by 2 pts).  They are streaky win good wins and bad losses, but Watson and Hopkins can take a game over enough to not make this game easy.

Agreed. 

Our Offense has looked decent against mediocre/average, even slightly above average defenses.... see the stretch we had of Miami/Denver/Dallas.  Houston is along the lines of Miami/Dallas.

Their Offense is legit, albeit streaky, however they are a pass heavy attack without a good OL.

Put White on Hopkins and get after Watson.

Bills are an excellent matchup with the Texans.

The Texans live and die by the big play in the air.  They have an impressive dual threat in Hopkins and Fuller WHEN Fuller is healthy. One of the reasons the Texans appear so streaky is Fuller has missed a lot of games and the Texans Offense suffers mightily, not the Broncos debacle.

The Texans D line is shaky, even with Watt coming back they dont improve much, Watt is a shadow of the player he was.  DJ Reader at N is actually emerging as a good player.  Whitney merciless is far  above average LBer and McKinney and Cunningham are average.  and D J Reader at N,  We shouldn't have to fear their pass rush although Romeo Cremell is a great DC and after watching J Allen recently wil blitz the hell out of us.   Their weakness is the secondary.  You have Jonathon Joseph he was over the hill 5 years ago still starting. They just picked up Heargraves for nothing and listed as their 3rd CB dont be shocked if you see a lot of him. J Allen has the potential to have a very good game.

Texans special teams is improving and actually made some plays last week including a good kick return and a blocked field goal.

Defensively the key to the game may be our secondary, esp safeties stopping the big plays.  Watson is so elusive pass rush doesnt mean much, think of Lamar Jackson not as good or consistent a runner with a much better and stronger arm.

43 minutes ago, nucci said:

easily? doubtful

Yeah it would be a tough game. Their offense is explosive but suspect D. I don't understand the fear from a Tannehill lead Titans team. Tannehill? Really? Just because he's an upgrade to Mariota it doesn't make him a world beater.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Would probably get Ravens in round 2 right?

It would depend on the outcome of the other WC game.  We go to BAL if the 3rd seed wins.  We go to NE* if the 6th seed wins.

*This assumes that NE remains the #2 seed, which probably won't happen after we beat them on Saturday.