How bad is Levi Wallace making tackles?

Stallions

It's pretty obvious other teams know Levi is weak in coverage & tackling.  They try to isolate him on one side of the field so a good RB can bust around or through him. 

The NFL Scouting report on Levi prior to the draft:

Levi Wallace has had a very productive college career. He has played in high pressures situations and performed well. However, his lack of size will cause him to fall when the 2018 NFL Draft rolls around in April.

Wallace not only lacks ideal height, but also has a tiny frame. The lack of bulk will cause some durability concerns as well as issues dealing with more physical wide receivers and RB's..

3 hours ago, Stallions said:

I don't think he's bad on tackles - I know he is bad.  Watch the tapes.  He's very bad on one-on-one tackles.

One of your three to four weekly bad takes, and all of them supported by the logically null "Watch the tapes," which ignores that people who are trolls see different things when they watch the tapes from the rest of us. And that all of us see things differently to some degree from confirmation bias among many other things.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

He is the weakest link on defense by far.....

weakest-link.gif

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Levi, like 99% of DBs nowadays, has an issue with technique more than anything else. It’s maddening to see these guys, time after time, think all they have to do to get a guy down is throw a shoulder into him. Wrong! Tackling requires WRAPPING UP the ball carrier. Especially when you don’t have a size advantage. You’d think coaches would be driving this point home 24/7.

they dont wear pads or even hit in practice, no way for these guys to improve their tackling.

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

Levi, like 99% of DBs nowadays, has an issue with technique more than anything else. It’s maddening to see these guys, time after time, think all they have to do to get a guy down is throw a shoulder into him. Wrong! Tackling requires WRAPPING UP the ball carrier. Especially when you don’t have a size advantage. You’d think coaches would be driving this point home 24/7.

This! On that play if he uses his arms and actually tries to tackle him, he would at least slow him down until help came. Levi is not big enough to just throw himself into someone. It is maddening to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Stallions said:

I know he was a walk-on at Alabama and got a scholarship based on his play.  He came to the Bills as an undrafted free-agent. 

He just can't make tackles!  The only Steelers score came when he whiffed on a tackle.  It's happened all year.  He weighs only 179 lbs. vs Tre White at 194.  Is that why he appears to be gun shy on tackles??

I don't think it is about tackling technique so much as the issue that made Levi an UDFA remains - he lacks the high end physical skills. He lacks a bit in size and a lot (relative to the position) in speed. The reason he missed the tackle on Connor was largely speed. He just didn't get there quickly enough.

• Like (+1) 1

Levi is an average CB and that’s OK. He’s a very smart player who lacks physical characteristics. Since he’s very Coachable he has the talent to learn and improve. But he also has a low ceiling. Now for that play:

1. Levi clearly didn’t expect to be all alone with Connor in space. 
  2. At first, Levi look like he wanted to contain Connor and wait for help taking him down. 
  3. However, Pittsburgh ran a barely legal, multiple pick play and thus Milano and Poyer were no where close to help. 
  4. Once Levi realized he was all alone it was too late to make the tackle and besides, Connor is a handful for an LB and only a God like Tre White have a chance to make the play. 

Theres a lot to criticize and it would be nice to have a pro bowler opposite Tre White but in the end Levi has been solid since his mid season downturn. 

• Like (+1) 2

The tackling by Wallace isn't the problem normally. Its the laying off the receiver by 5 yards and not knowing where the ball is that is the issue. By the time he figures it out, the receiver has caught it and Wallace has to adjust quickly.  But the damage has been done. He often looks a bit frazzled back there (like he never saw the play coming at all).

The kids a work in progress as a walk on at Alabama to a starter then as a UDFA to a starter the kids already defied huge odds.

Less than 2 years as a starter and I have seen huge strides forward.

Most teams don't have a Tre White to compare their average corners to and if this kid turns out 1/2 as good as Tre he will be a solid contributor for years.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Stallions said:

I know he was a walk-on at Alabama and got a scholarship based on his play.  He came to the Bills as an undrafted free-agent. 

He just can't make tackles!  The only Steelers score came when he whiffed on a tackle.  It's happened all year.  He weighs only 179 lbs. vs Tre White at 194.  Is that why he appears to be gun shy on tackles??

Disagree.

He may be a weak link on one of top defenses in the NFL, but tackling is not his major

issue. At his size - he is a much better tackler than Johnson - his 1st round drafted partner.  Where Levi has issues is with his overall athletic ability.  

The play is question was not a whiffed tackle because he can’t tackle - it was his lack of acceleration and a poor angle that got him to a point where Conners had already beat him and he couldn’t make a play.  He has failed to wrap up running backs a few times, but Johnson also has whiffed on several tackles.

In coverage - he has to back off a bit more because he does not have the top end speed or the size and therefore can not make the plays of a Tre White, but he works well in this defense working to keep guys in front and making the tackle - preventing big plays.

He rarely misses his tackles on his WR and generally wraps up and gets them to the ground. Where his issue really show up is in space especially against RBs because he is a step slow to the meeting point and RBs in general are hard for DBs to bring down 1 on 1.  We have seen it with White also - missing and not being in the right spot.  We see it against it also with Singletary making LBs and DBs miss in the open field.

• Like (+1) 1

A few years ago we had a CB who couldn't tackle.  Good cover guy, but never wrapped up.  We let him walk in FA.  Stephon Gilmore is doing OK now. 

Geez Louise, imagine having Gilmore still here and adding White on the other side.  Whoo.

Could he do some things better, yes, but there was an article how he was the unsung hero against Lamar Jackson, keeping him from rolling out by setting the edge.  It’s the reason Lamar kept going back into the pocket so he’s not doing everything wrong.  I don’t know many teams that have two Treh White’s on a team.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He missed a big one down the sideline.  In all fairness Micah Hyde did the same thing.

Micah was in the middle of the field. All Wallace had to do was square up and push him out. I know, easier said than done but he looked like a guy trying to tackle Bettis in that GEICO flag football commercial. I like Levi but he's a depth player in a cover scheme, not a physical caliber starter.

Edited by billsbackto81

He looks OK to me. But I'm not expecting all pros at every position. We have a top 5 defense and he's a big part of it. Wallace is 3rd on the team in total tackles and he's tied for 1st in solo tackles. Maybe, just maybe you're looking for this week's whupping boy and don't appreciate when he makes a play. He's made plenty of good plays this year. For every "bad" play he's made, I'm sure if you tried, you could find 3 or 4 good plays. I found 2 with limited video. When Conner shook Hyde out of his shoes, guess who helped bring Conner down? Wallace. Pittsburgh's final drive, 1:31 left to play and Conner gets a dump off pass. Wallace comes up and makes the tackle, even though the WR blocking him is holding. And the cherry on top?!? Wallace gets the game ending INT.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2