How bad is Levi Wallace making tackles?

Stallions

6 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Lol. So no newcomers welcome?

Funny I guess everyone else here never had 94 posts at some point. I'm curious what your point is suppose to be with that comment?

?

Credibility and commitment. 

Fist, you are coming in hot with a spicy take, without any citation or evidence.  You haven't really been around long enough for your hot takes to mean anything without citation. Heck, I haven't even been around long enough to do that. 

Second, you signed up to the board deep into our first 10 win season. How credible is the person that only wants to chat about the team once its winning? Maybe that's not you, but who is to know--you have 94 posts.   

STOCK UP

CB Levi Wallace

White had two picks and took the headlines, but let’s give a little shout to Levi Wallace. Jordan Poyer also had an interception in this one, but it’s been a tough year for Wallace. After locking down the No. 2 spot across from White, he’s gradually lost playing time as Wallace now rotates with Kevin Johnson there. Having said that. Wallace’s pick iced and ended the game for the Bills, as Hodges tossed up a duck that Wallace found in the end zone. Also: It was the first interception of the undrafted rookie free agent’s career.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/17/stock-up-down-bills-win-steelers-josh-allen-john-brown-frank-gore/2/

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Credibility and commitment. 

Fist, you are coming in hot with a spicy take, without any citation or evidence.  You haven't really been around long enough for your hot takes to mean anything without citation. Heck, I haven't even been around long enough to do that. 

Second, you signed up to the board deep into our first 10 win season. How credible is the person that only wants to chat about the team once its winning? Maybe that's not you, but who is to know--you have 94 posts.   

Commitment lol, this is a message board about a team not a marriage.

Credibility lol, I'm a fan not an analyst... like everyone else on here. What I say is opinion just like every other poster.

94 post doesn't mean jack on credibility. 

As you have probably seen. Many users with thousands of posts have/can/will have bad 'hot takes' 

Oh and for the record I am a bandwagon fan... since 1990 

?

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Micah was in the middle of the field. All Wallace had to do was square up and push him out. I know, easier said than done but he like a guy trying to tackle Bettis in that GEICO flag football commercial. I like Levi but he's a depth player in a cover scheme, not a physical caliber starter.

That was the biggest concern coming out of college.  I think he’s done so far as a starting CB, but because of tackling I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Bills try to upgrade 

Just what, exactly, are the expectations for the players on this team? Perfection every single game? Every single play? I'm not sure if everyone knows this, BUT... the opponent is also made up of professionals... and they are going to make plays as well. That doesn't mean the player who lost the rep is suddenly "the worstest evurrr!!!"

Did everyone miss Dionte Johnson getting a big catch on Tre' and then stiff-arming him straight onto his rear-end? I don't see people calling him out for that.

It's just the nature of the game, the other team will make plays. Sure, Wallace has had some struggles this season but if he was as awful as some want to believe, would they still be third in the league in passing yards allowed? Third in passing TD's allowed... 8th in interceptions... or third in the league in net yards gained per pass attempt (5.1)...? That stat right there would indicate that the secondary is actually pretty good at tackling. McDermott puts a lot of emphasis on his secondary being able to contain and tackle since they play a lot of zone and ask their secondary to prevent the big play, keep things in front of them and fly to the ball. 

And, it's kind of common knowledge that most DBs aren't the greatest tacklers. Deion Sanders is viewed as one of the greatest DBs of all time, dude actively avoided tackling for most of his career. 

I think Wallace is, and will be fine. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Lol. So no newcomers welcome?

Funny I guess everyone else here never had 94 posts at some point. I'm curious what your point is suppose to be with that comment?

?

It was sarcasm Mr Sarcasm..... try to live up to your screen name, just sayin,

Go Bills!!!

I don't think he's a bad tackler.  Maybe not the most physical CB, but they all can't be Richard Sherman.  Those referencing the James Conner missed tackle are nuts.  That would have been a tremendously difficult tackle for most CB's to make.  I think Levi has played well the past few games.  Much better than Kevin Johnson, IMO.

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Statistically, Murphy is in the bottom 1% of pressures/ sacks per snap.

Where'd you find that stat? I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just curious. 

I know he has not been a great pass rusher, but I don't really care that much--I'd rather have a good all around defender than a guy that is terrible in all other aspects but tallies 10 sacks a year.  Murphy is long and can really extend the line of scrimmage. He has forced two fumbles this year, which I am really happy about, and as a rotational guy has been reliable setting the line of scrimmage. 

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I don't know if Gilmore couldn't tackle, he just did not want to tackle.....avoided contact.   were I preparing a game plan against the Pats......I would study film to see if Gilmore still has those tendencies.  If so, I would run his way and try to isolate the ball carrier on him.  Unfortunately we don't have a stud runner  to run over somebody except for our QB, so that will be avoided, at least by design.  Maybe we could get Knox the ball where Gilmore has to tackle him...let Knox take a crack at running gilmore over.....

I agree, it didn't seem like he wanted to do a lot of things. He also used to give big cushions instead of being the press guy he was in college. It probably helps that he is on a team that doesn't get called for DPI now. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Where'd you find that stat? I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just curious. 

I know he has not been a great pass rusher, but I don't really care that much--I'd rather have a good all around defender than a guy that is terrible in all other aspects but tallies 10 sacks a year.  Murphy is long and can really extend the line of scrimmage. He has forced two fumbles this year, which I am really happy about, and as a rotational guy has been reliable setting the line of scrimmage. 

It was posted on twitter or something a week or two ago. I can't for the life of me remember where. There were like 80 qualifying DE's and he was last or second last. 

Sometimes he seems to be handled so regularly that he finds himself in good position. 

I watch him all the time and just think to myself... "wtf are you doing?" 

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

It was posted on twitter or something a week or two ago. I can't for the life of me remember where. There were like 80 qualifying DE's and he was last or second last. 

Sometimes he seems to be handled so regularly that he finds himself in good position. 

I watch him all the time and just think to myself... "wtf are you doing?" 

He has good games and bad games. Even his bad games are never really that bad.  He isn't a play maker or a game changer, but he is solid. That is a bit of recurring theme on this defense. 

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

Levi, like 99% of DBs nowadays, has an issue with technique more than anything else. It’s maddening to see these guys, time after time, think all they have to do to get a guy down is throw a shoulder into him. Wrong! Tackling requires WRAPPING UP the ball carrier. Especially when you don’t have a size advantage. You’d think coaches would be driving this point home 24/7.

I know it is a very inaccurate term, K-9, but when I was a kid during my high school games my father used to refer to that as "arm tackling".  Again, not a great definition or term for it because it likely means the opposite, but he thought of it just as you've stated...taking your shoulder (or arm) throwing it at a guy and thinking it is going to work.

Used to drive him crazy and i have come to realize what a true football sin it is.

I'll stand by what I have said before, if you remove the sort of projectile tackles or head shots from every level of the game those who were trained that way would be out of the way in just a few short years and the game of football can most certainly survive and you'd be surprised how much it is NOT a wussificaton of the game...rather, a safety concern decision that just makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

STOCK UP

CB Levi Wallace

White had two picks and took the headlines, but let’s give a little shout to Levi Wallace. Jordan Poyer also had an interception in this one, but it’s been a tough year for Wallace. After locking down the No. 2 spot across from White, he’s gradually lost playing time as Wallace now rotates with Kevin Johnson there. Having said that. Wallace’s pick iced and ended the game for the Bills, as Hodges tossed up a duck that Wallace found in the end zone. Also: It was the first interception of the undrafted rookie free agent’s career.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/17/stock-up-down-bills-win-steelers-josh-allen-john-brown-frank-gore/2/

Sometimes it starts with one. 

Hopefully this can help him turn the corner and get many more the rest of the season and playoffs

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Our tackling and as K-9 pointed out, fundamental tackling has been our biggest defensive problem all year, along with gap issues. Levi has missed some glaring ones but Micah and Poyer have missed just as many and we all love both of those guys. 

To be fair, while Poyer might have missed as many, he also seems much more likely to make a one on one tackle, especially in run support.

11 hours ago, LB48 said:

It's pretty obvious other teams know Levi is weak in coverage & tackling.  They try to isolate him on one side of the field so a good RB can bust around or through him. 

The NFL Scouting report on Levi prior to the draft:

Levi Wallace has had a very productive college career. He has played in high pressures situations and performed well. However, his lack of size will cause him to fall when the 2018 NFL Draft rolls around in April.

Wallace not only lacks ideal height, but also has a tiny frame. The lack of bulk will cause some durability concerns as well as issues dealing with more physical wide receivers and RB's..

Its pretty obvious with a secondary that features arguably the best cover CB (consensus top 5) in the game today in Tre White that opponents will go anywhere else with the ball.  Kind of like back in the day when Gilmore was here and Leodis got targeted 10+ times a game.  Levi has had a few tough outings but our secondary is the strength of this defense nonetheless.  

Conner on any CB in the league in the open field is a matchup Pittsburgh will take 10/10.

6 minutes ago, Reader said:

To be fair, while Poyer might have missed as many, he also seems much more likely to make a one on one tackle, especially in run support.

A safety should be more likely to take down an RB in the open field than a CB.  

• Like (+1) 1