How bad is Levi Wallace making tackles?

Stallions

I know he was a walk-on at Alabama and got a scholarship based on his play.  He came to the Bills as an undrafted free-agent. 

He just can't make tackles!  The only Steelers score came when he whiffed on a tackle.  It's happened all year.  He weighs only 179 lbs. vs Tre White at 194.  Is that why he appears to be gun shy on tackles??

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Usually he is pretty good in run support and contain. Bills are #3 defense in the NFL and in many years would be the #1 defense based on their averages.  He obviously cannot be as bad as you think.

I don't think he's bad on tackles - I know he is bad.  Watch the tapes.  He's very bad on one-on-one tackles.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Usually he is pretty good in run support and contain. Bills are #3 defense in the NFL and in many years would be the #1 defense based on their averages.  He obviously cannot be as bad as you think.

He made several nice tackles Sunday night. Probably the weakest link but you're right he isn't awful.

• Like (+1) 1

Levi, like 99% of DBs nowadays, has an issue with technique more than anything else. It’s maddening to see these guys, time after time, think all they have to do to get a guy down is throw a shoulder into him. Wrong! Tackling requires WRAPPING UP the ball carrier. Especially when you don’t have a size advantage. You’d think coaches would be driving this point home 24/7.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Some people need to complain because they need attention, apparently. You make a valid point. Lamar made Milano look silly a week ago. That’s fine, stuff happens. I like our guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Levi, like 99% of DBs nowadays, has an issue with technique more than anything else. It’s maddening to see these guys, time after time, think all they have to do to get a guy down is throw a shoulder into him. Wrong! Tackling requires WRAPPING UP the ball carrier. Especially when you don’t have a size advantage. You’d think coaches would be driving this point home 24/7.

See this way too often in the NFL. Guys go for a highlight reel hit to dislodge the ball. It rarely works. You have to wrap a guy up. This is really training camp fundamental stuff. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I suspect a good part of this is the CBA where practicing with actual contact is verboten. Levi isn’t exactly stout, but I don’t know if his technique is worse that the average guy. (The average isn’t great!)  Funny time to bring this topic up, it seems. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

I really haven't noticed a tackling issue with Levi this year (or last) overall. But on the TD yesterday, yes, he made a poor decision. It wasn't necessarily poor tackling (technique-wise at least), the problem was he took a too-aggressive angle toward Conner, either wanting to make a big play, or because he didn't realize how fast Conner is. The way he tried to tackle him seems to me just a by-product of being a bit too aggressive.

As the ball is snapped Levi is at the 6-yard line, he then backpedals to the 5-yard line. As the ball is thrown, Levi makes his break. Conner catches the ball at the 11-yard line and turns upfield. Levi takes an aggressive angle toward the ball carrier, angling from the 6-yard line toward maybe the 8.5- 9-yard line, where he expects to meet Conner. But at the 8-yard line, he realizes Conner is moving faster than he thought. So, he levels off along the 8-yard line, where they make contact. But the problem was, Levi was at the 8 and Conner was already at the 7.5-yard line, so Levi was in a poor position to make the tackle and all he could do was throw his body at him. Had he instead sprinted toward the sideline, along the 6.5- to 7-yard line, taking a wider angle, he would have at least been able to get in front of Conner (to have a chance at a better tackle) or at least slow him down so help could get there (Milano was not far behind).

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

Get Wallace off the field!! Johnson is much better. 

Wallace is terrible. 

Neither can tackle, I thought Kevin Johnson was pretty bad too actually. I saw him take terrible angles a few times, including one play where he seriously looked afraid to take on Connor. Thank god Tre is okay.

• Like (+1) 1