2020 NFL Free Agents

billsfan_34

12 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-nfl-free-agent-list/

Who would you like on this list? Of course re-signing J Phillips is a must and I would love to see Derrick Henry in a Bills uni.

The problem with Derrick henry is the cost to sign him (which means money is not being spent elesewhere) and the cliff that RBs almost always hit in their second contract. I can not think of a single high priced RB signing that has worked out for the team (La'veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Doug Martin). Then look at the teams consistently competing for the Super Bowl. They get lower priced guys on prove it deals. Please no Derrick Henry

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The problem with Derrick henry is the cost to sign him (which means money is not being spent elesewhere) and the cliff that RBs almost always hit in their second contract. I can not think of a single high priced RB signing that has worked out for the team (La'veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Doug Martin). Then look at the teams consistently competing for the Super Bowl. They get lower priced guys on prove it deals. Please no Derrick Henry

Totally understand your take- thats why I would just do a 3 year with the first 2 guaranteed and an easy out for us in the 3rd year. He is in his prime but I am sure we can also pluck one out of the draft also.

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why not a Punter?

Letting Spain is foolish, he's done well here. Don't make a hole when don't need. 

Spain is a wrecking ball- sign the man!

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Extend:

Tre White

Matt Milano

Shaq Lawson

Allow to walk:

Quinton Spain

Sign as a priority UFA:

Jadaveon Clowney (if he shakes free - though I think Seattle sign him) so I might settle for Ngakoue.

The question mark for me is Jordan Phillips. I'd like him back. But it is very price dependant.

Maybe Jordan stays at a little discount? He seems to really love it here. Love all your other priorities minus Spain- he is a mauler but there is also only so much cash to go around. We do have 2 more years of not paying a huge QB contract so we can seriously make a run for the Lombardi right now!!!

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Maybe Jordan stays at a little discount? He seems to really love it here. Love all your other priorities minus Spain- he is a mauler but there is also only so much cash to go around. We do have 2 more years of not paying a huge QB contract so we can seriously make a run for the Lombardi right now!!!

Spain decision entirely depends on what they think of Ford at RT for me. If they like him enough there to commit to him I think they take a run at Spain. If they don't they let Spain walk and I think Ford is your starting LG next year, and they go with Ty and a mid round pick or a low end FA at RT.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don't expect us to target any of the big fish in free agency. We are going to take a similar approach as we did this season... spread it around. I have a feeling that there will be an emphasis on hammering out contract extensions for OUR core players this offseason - that is where the big money will go. It will primarily be future money.

That approach would be a waste and a terrible idea.  A passable QB on a rookie deal is the most valuable asset in the league.  Especially given our success this year we need to do what Philly and the Rams did and load up on impact FAs with deals that will clear by the time we are really into extending our young core.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That approach would be a waste and a terrible idea.  A passable QB on a rookie deal is the most valuable asset in the league.  Especially given our success this year we need to do what Philly and the Rams did and load up on impact FAs with deals that will clear by the time we are really into extending our young core.

Then you’re going to be sorely disappointed. We can’t go out and throw around big money AND extend our core. It won’t work. 

If you want Clowney and players of that caliber in FA you better be prepared to shell out 5-6 years.... which means big money in future seasons... which means less flexibility to extend the young core. 

You legitimately cannot do both, the evidence is that both teams are in salary cap hell because of it. We just got out of salary cap hell and I promise you Beane’s plan is not to set himself up for that again.

Guys like Hyde, Poyer, White, Milano, Edmunds, Wallace, Brown, McKenzie, Singletary, Phillips were all value picks ups or draft picks and they’re playing key roles on a contending team. None of them were very highly regarded before coming here... our approach isn’t blowing out for a big name “impact player” it rarely ever works. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't get the Derick Henry drooling.

The guy is pedestrian even with a good line. 

Also he would take snaps away from Singletary who IS an every down back. What would Henry offer that Singletary doesn't-- 'He is a bruiser for the end of the game'-- Okay old man simmer down it's not 1960 anymore.

And finally, also most importantly, RB is the least valuable position in the game currently and spending 10 mil -12 mil on a RB that shares time is just stupid.

When was the last time a top FA running back made an impact?

?

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Sign an aging WR who can't cut or plant off his left foot? Why?

Are you sure about that?? Maybe he's not playing because he's "disgruntled" about his contract and doesn't want to put out for organization because they're not putting out for him. He'll be 32 in July.. He's one of the best route runners in the NFL. He'll immediately fix the "separation" problem this team has. Josh needs a proven commodity at receiver right now. Draft a young receiver to learn from AJ/Smoke/Beasley

9 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

No good team will be signing Henry. Throwing Big money at a free agent RB is the worst possible move in free agency. 

Whew!! At first I thought you were talking about Hunter.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Are you sure about that?? Maybe he's not playing because he's "disgruntled" about his contract and doesn't want to put out for organization because they're not putting out for him. He'll be 32 in July.. He's one of the best route runners in the NFL. He'll immediately fix the "separation" problem this team has. Josh needs a proven commodity at receiver right now. Draft a young receiver to learn from AJ/Smoke/Beasley

Yep, right with the bold text. I'm a big believer in that.

?

2 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

The entire point of getting a true #1 WR is so we can throw the ball more...that is why they need one.

And Amari Cooper is 6-1, 205, so he definitely adds a dimension to the offense we desperately lack...that said, I'd rather draft a WR to grow and develop with Allen.

I don't think throwing the ball more is what we should be trying to do.

I think the Bills will re-sign Phillips.

I think Shaq gets a monster deal from someone else.

I think they let Spain walk and slide Ford over to LG.

I think Dawkins and Milano are in line for new contracts this offseason.

OBVIOUSLY Tre gets his 5th year option picked up and will get the monster contract from McBeane as he was McDermott’s first hand-picked player from day one and will NEVER let him get to FA.

Now that basically leaves.........

RT 

RB

WR

Edge DE

LB to replace a retiring LA..........

as the biggest needs.

They have 9 draft choices and money to play with.

I think they will sign one big ticket FA (no idea which position), a few bargain-type FA’s to fill out the roster.........

and concentrate on manipulating the draft like they always do.

In the end for 2020, it means the Bills will have fewer weaknesses going for the brass ring if they don’t win it in 2019.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm just thankful I have complete faith (finally) in McBeane to bring in the right people to keep this team a contender for years to come and that these decisions are out of my hands.

I enjoy the off season almost as much as the regular season now.:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Also he would take snaps away from Singletary who IS an every down back. What would Henry offer that Singletary doesn't-- 'He is a bruiser for the end of the game'-- Okay old man simmer down it's not 1960 anymore.

And finally, also most importantly, RB is the least valuable position in the game currently and spending 10 mil -12 mil on a RB that shares time is just stupid.

?

nor me

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

?

Mark Ingram?

I still agree with you; just answering the question is all

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Then you’re going to be sorely disappointed. We can’t go out and throw around big money AND extend our core. It won’t work. 

If you want Clowney and players of that caliber in FA you better be prepared to shell out 5-6 years.... which means big money in future seasons... which means less flexibility to extend the young core. 

You legitimately cannot do both, the evidence is that both teams are in salary cap hell because of it. We just got out of salary cap hell and I promise you Beane’s plan is not to set himself up for that again.

Guys like Hyde, Poyer, White, Milano, Edmunds, Wallace, Brown, McKenzie, Singletary, Phillips were all value picks ups or draft picks and they’re playing key roles on a contending team. None of them were very highly regarded before coming here... our approach isn’t blowing out for a big name “impact player” it rarely ever works. 

It rarely ever works?  The last 2 NFC Champs followed the model, adding an influx of FA talent to a team with a young QB and the Patriots are one of the most active teams in FA.  Eschewing FA puts you in a purgatory like the Packers existed in the last several years.