2020 NFL Free Agents

billsfan_34

2 hours ago, suorangefan4 said:

Brandon Scherff if he's still as good after that injury. Anthony Castonzo too even though he's 32. 

A strong offensive line is really important. It improves the running game and passing game. It would also make Josh Allen feel more comfortable in the pocket. Far more important than getting a WR. I think our WRs are good. Beasley and Brown do get open. Imagine Allen getting even more time to find them.

LT - Anthony Castonzo

LG - Spain / Ford / Feliciano / Dawkins

C - Mitch Morse

RG - Brandon Scherff

RT - Dion Dawkins

/ Drools

Bring in Scherff and Conklin (he’s having a decent year) let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, feliciano can be the back up and keep Dawkins at LT.

Dawkins

Ford

Morse

Scherff

Conklin

also sign Carlos Hyde

re-sign Phillips, Johnson and Lawson

Sign Ngakoue. 
Draft WR,  offensive Tackle, LB, a corner and a punter!

While I’m not a fan of investing too much in a RB, Singletary and Henry would be a fearsome twosome.  Henry + a 1st rd WR+ a RT could be enough for this offense to be feared.

then resign everyone and keep the cap for the next group that will need to be resigned

Edited by NewEra

I don't expect us to target any of the big fish in free agency. We are going to take a similar approach as we did this season... spread it around. I have a feeling that there will be an emphasis on hammering out contract extensions for OUR core players this offseason - that is where the big money will go. It will primarily be future money.

I'm going to take some numbers off Spotrac here to give an idea... it won't be anything exact, instead more of a rough outline of what I expect.

Tre White 

5 yrs, $70,579,070

Avg. Salary: $14,115,814

Matt Milano

4 yrs, $53,325,792

Avg. Salary: $13,331,448

Dion Dawkins

5 yrs, $38,500,000 

Avg. Salary: $7,700,000

Jordan Poyer

4 yrs, $27,000,000 

Avg. Salary:  $6,750,000

I also expect the following Buffalo Bills free agents to be retained:

Jordan Phillips

3 year, $30,000,000

Avg. Salary: $10,000,000

Shaq Lawson

3 yrs, $22,500,000

Avg. Salary: $7,500,000

Senorise Perry (UFA) ~ $800,000

Dean Marlowe (RFA) ~ $1,900,000

Isaiah McKenzie (RFA) ~ $1,900,000

Jason Croom (ERFA) ~ $585,000

Levi Wallace (ERFA) ~ $660,000

Robert Foster (ERFA) ~ $660,000

After resigning the eight free agents listed above, our offseason roster would sit at 50/90 players. I have reason to believe we would sign the eleven players on our practice squad to futures deals, meaning our roster would sit at 61/90 players. Factor in our nine draft picks (although I believe we will only make 5-6 picks) our roster BEFORE signing any free agents outside of our own organization is set to include 70/90 players allowed in the preseason.

The deals I listed out above would cost us roughly $24 million and then about $10M for draft picks that would leave us with $55 million available to spend in 2020. Phillips and Lawson would be the only MAJOR deals that would impact our 2020 cap situation. The rest would take effect in 2021 seeing that White, Milano, Dawkins and Poyer are all controlled through 2020. 

Here are some players I reasonably believe that we could target this offseason;

Matt Breida, RB (RFA)

Geronimo Allison, WR (UFA)

Demarcus Robinson, WR (UFA)

Kendrick Bourne, WR (RFA)

Vic Beasley, DE (UFA)

Jadeveon Clowney, DE (UFA)

Deone Bucannon, LB (UFA)

De'Vondre Campbell, LB (UFA)

James Bradberry, CB (UFA)

Trae Waynes, CB (UFA)

• Thank you (+1) 2

You win in the trenches. Re-sign Lawson & Philips, then get more OL help. If Josh has time to throw a rookie WR would be fine along with Smoke and Cole. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What makes you think Foster is close to being really good?

Yes. They need to add a real good option via FA at WR. I really doubt Cooper, but I could see AJ Green and a high draft pick at the position. 

Their depth is atrocious at the position at the moment.  

Hands have improved and his routes have gotten better as well. Match that with his incredible speed tells me he is close to being really good. I am all for grabbing Amari and drafting a WR and showing McKenzie the door.

9 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think Cooper adds a new dimension to the offense. I also don't want to pay a receiver more than $15 mil/year when we throw the ball so little. 

I want someone with size who can add a dimension to our vertical passing game and in the red zone. 

A rookie 1st rounder and another rookie from like the 5th round would be nice.

There are 20 receivers currently in CBS's top 100 players. I've read other scouts on Twitter day they have as many as 25 receivers in their top 100.

With so much talent, 3rd round guys are going to be available in the 5th round as teams prioritize positions with less talent.

The entire point of getting a true #1 WR is so we can throw the ball more...that is why they need one.

And Amari Cooper is 6-1, 205, so he definitely adds a dimension to the offense we desperately lack...that said, I'd rather draft a WR to grow and develop with Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Re sign Phillips and Lawson. 

I'd consider throwing a bunch of money at a top corner to pair with White. 

Then I'd begin considering extensions for guys like Milano and even Tre White. 

That's what I would do. We have to keep this defense in tact. Draft heavy offense and fa a de /cb....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

While I love Jordan Phillips and he has played great I wouldn't pay him a ton.  You have Ed, Star, and Harry when he's back from surgery.  I sign Shaq and cut Trent Murphy.  Also would sign Spain again because he's been solid.  As for the other free agents I'd think Melvin Gordon can be signed for reasonable money and want Ngakoue because Jerry's getting old and showing signs 

Besides our guys, AJ Klein be an interesting add to replace LorAx at LB yet we'd need to add more pass rush somewhere maybe Emmanuel Ogbah or a Cassius Marsh. I also be intrigued by WR Geronimo Allison who's been a depth WR in Green Bay but at 6'3" has the size we lack in the position Devin Funchess coming off an injury might be a guy can get on the cheap at good production. Hunter Henry at TE be awesome but think be out of our price range. 

9 hours ago, the skycap said:

I'd sign AJ Green, Hunter Henry. Re-sign Shaq and Jordan. Draft Jonathan Taylor and a WR in rd 2 to learn under Green/Smoke. Josh need playmakers. Adding Green, Henry with Smoke, Beasley, Taylor and Motor will put a jolt into the offense. Will probably need to release Kroft/Lee Smith.

Sign an aging WR who can't cut or plant off his left foot? Why?

My basic plan for free agency by position:

• QB: No significant outside signings
  • RB: Probably looking for a cheap compliment to Singletary; some examples would be Peyton Barber, Dwayne Washington, or Buck Allen
  • WR: Probably pass unless Amari would come here
  • TE: No significant outside signings
  • OLine: Not going to pretend I can properly evaluate the free agent options here
  • Edge: If they want to bring back Shaq, that's fine, but I'd probably rather pursue outside options like Ngakoue, Armstead, or Clowney.
  • DT: Fine with bringing Phillips back; Javon Hargrave would interest me as well.
  • LB: No significant outside signings
  • CB: No significant outside signings
  • Safety: No significant outside signings

Extend:

Tre White

Matt Milano

Shaq Lawson

Allow to walk:

Quinton Spain

Sign as a priority UFA:

Jadaveon Clowney (if he shakes free - though I think Seattle sign him) so I might settle for Ngakoue.

The question mark for me is Jordan Phillips. I'd like him back. But it is very price dependant.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

My basic plan for free agency by position:

• QB: No significant outside signings
  • RB: Probably looking for a cheap compliment to Singletary; some examples would be Peyton Barber, Dwayne Washington, or Buck Allen
  • WR: Probably pass unless Amari would come here
  • TE: No significant outside signings
  • OLine: Not going to pretend I can properly evaluate the free agent options here
  • Edge: If they want to bring back Shaq, that's fine, but I'd probably rather pursue outside options like Ngakoue, Armstead, or Clowney.
  • DT: Fine with bringing Phillips back; Javon Hargrave would interest me as well.
  • LB: No significant outside signings
  • CB: No significant outside signings
  • Safety: No significant outside signings

Why not a Punter?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Extend:

Tre White

Matt Milano

Shaq Lawson

Allow to walk:

Quinton Spain

Sign as a priority UFA:

Jadaveon Clowney (if he shakes free - though I think Seattle sign him) so I might settle for Ngakoue.

The question mark for me is Jordan Phillips. I'd like him back. But it is very price dependant.

Letting Spain is foolish, he's done well here. Don't make a hole when don't need. 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why not a Punter?

Letting Spain is foolish, he's done well here. Don't make a hole when don't need. 

I am a big Spain fan but I think he will get a bigger contract next year than he got this year. When you add to that they might well want to move Ford inside.... then I think it allows them to do that and focus on a RT in FA / draft.

• Like (+1) 1