Moving forward: We need to do something about Gore

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'd be okay giving Gore a couple "veteran rest days" to close out the regular season and see what Yeldon looks like in this offense over the next 2 weeks. We literally have nothing to lose.

Except the ball. One thing I feel good about with Gore is he will not fumble. He will NOT win you the game, but he won’t lose it in crunch time. I get being excited by another guy who has more receiving capabilities, but I prefer Gore to close a game. 

I’ll trust our guys to decide. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Except the ball. One thing I feel good about with Gore is he will not fumble. He will NOT win you the game, but he won’t lose it in crunch time. I get being excited by another guy who has more receiving capabilities, but I prefer Gore to close a game. 

I’ll trust our guys to decide. 

I don't know why people think Yeldon has some kind of fumbling problem. He fumbled once this year and once last year. Admittedly that is on relatively few touches. But at least I know with the ball in his hands he can gain positive yardage. Gore has 2.32 YPC over the last 7 weeks. 1.39 YPC over the last 3 weeks. He's done. The only reason I can think to keep him on the field is for pass protection. When we run the ball with him we are wasting a down.

I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing what Yeldon brings to the table. Why not? I want to see us experiment the last 2 weeks. Let's see how Duke Williams looks in this offense. Let's run a bunch of deep throws to Foster just for fun.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know why people think Yeldon has some kind of fumbling problem. He fumbled once this year and once last year. Admittedly that is on relatively few touches. But at least I know with the ball in his hands he can gain positive yardage. Gore has 2.32 YPC over the last 7 weeks. 1.39 YPC over the last 3 weeks. He's done. The only reason I can think to keep him on the field is for pass protection. When we run the ball with him we are wasting a down.

I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing what Yeldon brings to the table. Why not? I want to see us experiment the last 2 weeks. Let's see how Duke Williams looks in this offense. Let's run a bunch of deep throws to Foster just for fun.

I get it, I want to see what we have. I also want to keep doing what’s working. I’ll trust the guys “we” pay to make these decisions. They know more about football than I ever will, and they are in the locker room and know the people involved. I’m good with whatever they decide. 

14 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Obviously they don't trust Yeldon or else he would have active the last couple games

If that is the case, why keep Yeldon on the team. I would prefer to just play Yeldon over Gore but if the team does not trust Yeldon they should grab another rb off the street like Alex Collins. Gore is completely shot and he kills drives when he is in the game because the defense does not respect his ability as a receiver and he can only run in between the tackles. He is averaging about 2 yards per carry over the past 7 games and just about any rb on the street will be an upgrade. I like Gore and also believe he should remain on the team but this offense is already challenged at wr and we cannot afford to have such a limited option at the number 2 rb spot. Most good teams can roll quality rbs but at this point we cannot afford to take Singletary off the field even when he is fumbling because there is a massive dropoff between he and Gore. 

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

He had 10 carries for 15 yards. He was atrocious all night and is an automatic 3 and out when he carries the ball early in a drive. I don’t know what some people are seeing. 10 carries....15 yards.

In the last 3 games gore has 23 carries for 32 yards. That’s not a joke. That’s what he’s actually doing. It’s over. Do something now while we have 2 free weeks to experiment 

Again, he had some nice carries, but those get overshadowed by all the negative carries. If I remember correctly, he was usually effective on his first carry, but if he was given back to back carries, he would be stuffed on the second one. Just give him the one carry to give Motor a quick breather and then bring Motor back in. There is a way for Gore to be successful, he just has to be used properly. 

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Again, he had some nice carries, but those get overshadowed by all the negative carries. If I remember correctly, he was usually effective on his first carry, but if he was given back to back carries, he would be stuffed on the second one. Just give him the one carry to give Motor a quick breather and then bring Motor back in. There is a way for Gore to be successful, he just has to be used properly. 

This tells me everything I need to know. If my backup rb can’t come in and run the ball effectively on consecutive plays then what would happen if Singletary went down with injury? We would be in serious trouble with Gore running the show and everyone knows it. The only reason he has not been replaced is for leadership and that he falls down after gaining a yard or two without fumbling and for some reason he gets praised for that. 

Nothing needs to happen with Gore for the remainder of this season.  The guy will be 37 next May.  He's done exactly what he was brought here to do - be a veteran presence to mentor our young backs and chip in some tough yards here & there.  If he has taught Singletary how to take care of his body and play in the league for many seasons, it will pay dividends in future seasons to the Buffalo organization.  Also, his contract hasn't broken the bank, either.  Gore was a good add!  Does he have another season in him?  Probably not.  I'd like to see Bills rest him next couple of weeks so he's fresh for the Super Bowl run when the playoffs start.  It'll be good to have a veteran on-hand for the playoff run.

Instead of complaining "he's not the back he was", look at the positives he has brought to the team and show this man some respect in what will likely the final (hopefully 6) remaining games of his great career.  He's earned that.

• Like (+1) 1

If they subtract negative yardage from his totals, Gore might move back down to 4th on the All-Time list....

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I still think he’s valuable this year. It’s ridiculous to run him off tackle. Or if you need a bunch of yards. But 3rd or 4th needing a couple yards he's very good. Plus he still hurts defenders. I wouldn't use him as much as we do, but he's a valuable cog. 

No, he isn't. There are RB's that are on the street that could do what he is doing, and better.

He is NOT a "valuable cog"...not at all.

He is a liability because they can't give Singletary a breather without sending Gore out to waste a down or two.

There are guys on practice squads that are much better.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:17 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Singletary gets hurt I want Yeldon to be the RB. I don’t want to see Gore get another carry unless it’s a 1 yd TD in garbage time of a super bowl win. The guy is done

If Singletary gets hurt we are the most one dimensional team in football. I’ve said it before, you could release Gore and Yeldon right now and they would go through waivers unsigned.

Wade should definitely be the backup RB right now. One of very few mistakes made by this staff but it could end up biting us in the Ass.

Other teams know Gore doesn’t have the speed or burst to get to the outside. We will run it up the middle and the other team will stack the middle.