Moving forward: We need to do something about Gore

Clinching a playoff spot with 2 games remaining is truly uncharted territory for most Bills fans. This season has been amazing, it probably came a little earlier then people expected and it almost feels like we are playing with house money now. That being said, the AFC is wide open. I honestly feel like the Bills have a fighting chance against anyone and now the real fun begins. We now have  a chance to win some franchise changing games and advance in the playoffs.

This Defense is excellent. There is very little room for improvement and it would be selfish to ask for any more from them. They are the backbone of the team and have been single handily beating teams. Defense travels in the playoffs and our guys will give us a fighting chance against anyone in January. 

The offense is a work in progress. They are streaky but seems to have a knack for pulling off big plays, at opportune times. We have a fearless, young, super athletic QB that the team rally’s behind, a few nice pieces at WR and a rising star in Singletary. The play calling can be frustrating at times but overall there are some nice things going on. The 1 major weakness right now, is the #2 RB. 

Frank Gore is going to the hall of fame. He has been an excellent compiler of statistics and has been a top 10ish back for the majority of his career. It’s been very nice having Gore here to show Singletary the ropes and teach him how to be a professional. Gore doesn’t fumble so the Bills want to trust him in spots deep in their own end. The guy seems like an incredible teammate and a very good guy. There are a lot of wonderful things to say about Gore....The guy is completely done. It’s been obvious for weeks and it’s only getting worse. He has been in the league for so long, nobody could ever blame him for looking this way. Gore got passed Barry Sanders. He’s on the team, you don’t have to cut him, just stop playing him. The guy is killing our offensive rhythm and he’s destroying drives. It’s going to cost us a game. I’m not sure how anyone watching this team can disagree. The only guy that doesn’t see it, is Dabol. Every week I hope that Yeldon is active. I don’t even care if Yeldon gets the ball, you just need to find a way to keep Gore off the field. I don’t want to be so hard on the guy but he’s not even averaging 2 yards a carry in some of these games. The Bills have 2 weeks before the playoffs to try and find a capable complement to Singletary. Maybe that guy is on the roster, maybe he’s on a the street. The one thing the Bills seem to always find, are good running backs. Gores recent performance are unacceptable and in the playoffs you need to be at your absolute best. Identify the issue early when you have a chance to correct it and get firing on all cylinders when it counts the most. Don’t let the wins cover up the warts. Let’s take advantage of this great season and win playoff games. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He's not going anywhere until after the season.  And frankly once in the playoffs I feel better with him on the squad. Next season, time to retire.

He doesn't have to go anywhere!!!   Just get someone else on the field when Singletary needs a break!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Green Lightning said:

He's not going anywhere until after the season.  And frankly once in the playoffs I feel better with him on the squad. Next season, time to retire.

I don’t care if he’s on the roster. Just make him the 3 or better yet, inactive. Give Perry a few carries. He’s active every week and you never even think about him. He will not be worse then Gore. Let’s see that 32 carrying the ball a little and see if we can’t recapture some of its (on the field) glory. I’m down for anyone but Gore at this point. It’s over. Don’t wait until we lose a playoff game to do something about it

You’re not wrong about Gore being done.

I think for Daboll it comes down to who he trusts more in terms of ball security.

Yeldon has been known to fumble and Daboll is probably thinking that the backup RB will only get 5 touches a game, so might as well go with the guy who won’t fumble.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t care if he’s on the roster. Just make him the 3 or better yet, inactive. Give Perry a few carries. He’s active every week and you never even think about him. He will not be worse then Gore. Let’s see that 32 carrying the ball a little and see if we can’t recapture some of its (on the field) glory. I’m down for anyone but Gore at this point. It’s over. Don’t wait until we lose a playoff game to do something about it

I don't disagree but I just don't see the coaches doing it. The situation's been the same the last several games. At this point I think they don't want to upset the apple cart by bringing up Yeldon or Perry.

Green Lightning is right.  I don't disagree that he is generally a liability.  His one use is as a short yardage back if the opposing team's interior defensive line isn't too stout.  Baltimore and Pittsburgh have very stout defensive lines, so many times it looked like he was running into a brick wall.  when he's running in heavy traffic, he takes good care of the ball.  That said, I think he was a one year band aid for the Bills.  I think Buffalo will draft at least one new running back.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Yeldon gone and another free agent acquired.  SIngletary is a good back, but he needs more help to share the load.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Clinching a playoff spot with 2 games remaining is truly uncharted territory for most Bills fans. This season has been amazing, it probably came a little earlier then people expected and it almost feels like we are playing with house money now. That being said, the AFC is wide open. I honestly feel like the Bills have a fighting chance against anyone and now the real fun begins. We now have  a chance to win some franchise changing games and advance in the playoffs.

This Defense is excellent. There is very little room for improvement and it would be selfish to ask for any more from them. They are the backbone of the team and have been single handily beating teams. Defense travels in the playoffs and our guys will give us a fighting chance against anyone in January. 

The offense is a work in progress. They are streaky but seems to have a knack for pulling off big plays, at opportune times. We have a fearless, young, super athletic QB that the team rally’s behind, a few nice pieces at WR and a rising star in Singletary. The play calling can be frustrating at times but overall there are some nice things going on. The 1 major weakness right now, is the #2 RB. 

Frank Gore is going to the hall of fame. He has been an excellent compiler of statistics and has been a top 10ish back for the majority of his career. It’s been very nice having Gore here to show Singletary the ropes and teach him how to be a professional. Gore doesn’t fumble so the Bills want to trust him in spots deep in their own end. The guy seems like an incredible teammate and a very good guy. There are a lot of wonderful things to say about Gore....The guy is completely done. It’s been obvious for weeks and it’s only getting worse. He has been in the league for so long, nobody could ever blame him for looking this way. Gore got passed Barry Sanders. He’s on the team, you don’t have to cut him, just stop playing him. The guy is killing our offensive rhythm and he’s destroying drives. It’s going to cost us a game. I’m not sure how anyone watching this team can disagree. The only guy that doesn’t see it, is Dabol. Every week I hope that Yeldon is active. I don’t even care if Yeldon gets the ball, you just need to find a way to keep Gore off the field. I don’t want to be so hard on the guy but he’s not even averaging 2 yards a carry in some of these games. The Bills have 2 weeks before the playoffs to try and find a capable complement to Singletary. Maybe that guy is on the roster, maybe he’s on a the street. The one thing the Bills seem to always find, are good running backs. Gores recent performance are unacceptable and in the playoffs you need to be at your absolute best. Identify the issue early when you have a chance to correct it and get firing on all cylinders when it counts the most. Don’t let the wins cover up the warts. Let’s take advantage of this great season and win playoff games. Go Bills!

I don't think that "Daboll doesn't see it", like you said OP.  Trust me, he watches the same games as us and I would wager that his football knowledge is greater than ours.  Frank Gore is playing ineffective football and Daboll 100% is aware of it.  There's a reason he's being kept in there.  Whether it is in deference to his legacy or Daboll just wants to have someone that can reliably not fumble the ball while eating clock.. I don't know.  But trust me, Daboll is absolutely aware of how ineffective he is and there's a reason he's on the game day roster/getting playing time.  I would assume in the playoffs, they will probably scale back his role

If Singleterry goes down, who do you want to replace him as the number one running back? I know who I want, Gore. It would not be a great situation but he would be the best option. Consequently he needs to be active and, yes, he needs touches. He is still getting some tough yards on a lot of his carries. The OP overstates the case.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

I would agree. If they run him up the middle he’s generally good for his 3-4 yards. 
They get a little too cute sometimes when he’s out there. Kinda hard to blame him when he’s hit 2-3 yards behind the line. 
Obviously he has zero business trying to get to the edge.
But come playoff time, 2nd and goal from the 3, down by 3 in the 4th. They’re gonna run play action and everyone will bite hard because they’ve ran him with zero success in goal situations all year and every team has seen it on film. Daboll likes to play the long game. 

Seriously though, I trust Gore can pick it up a notch come playoff time. He is done, but like mcdermott said nobody knows the size of these guys hearts. It’s his farewell tour he will put it all on the line to help this team advance in the playoffs. 

I do not disagree that they need a third back just to show defenses something different though. Perry can’t be that bad that he can’t line up as running back 10-12 plays a game right? 

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Obviously they don't trust Yeldon or else he would have active the last couple games

I don’t think so either.  I noticed a few weeks ago, when Singletary fumbles, he goes right to the bench.  There were times when Gore plying actually hurt the team with Singletary on the bench - but McDermott wanted to prove a point - you can’t fumble.

I don’t think he trusts TJ, and would rather have a dependable Gore running the ball

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Perry’s active every game already

You don’t want Perry running the football

26 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s a liability right now.  Too many negative runs when he’s in there.  

The problem also is that Gore is in the game when every play is  a running play and he doesn;'t have thee prior speed to overrun these guys.  When we played him heavily in thee NE  game, he was effective running the ball