PTI- Tony admits he was wrong about Coach McDermott

foreboding

34 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Saturday is as good a day as any. Even if it ends up making no difference in the seedings. I hate those mother f'ers. Stomping them, in their house, on national TV would be a statement.

Is it correct that it’s only on NFL Network? That’s more like “secret TV”.  Yes, I’m still pissed that AT&T dropped it without notice or reducing my bill. This is why I have DTV too, and my wife hates our monthly bill......grrrrrrr

Just now, Augie said:

Is it correct that it’s only on NFL Network? That’s more like “secret TV”.  Yes, I’m still pissed that AT&T dropped it without notice or reducing my bill. This is why I have DTV too, and my wife hates our monthly bill......grrrrrrr

whats this?

only NFL network? are you sure? before i flip my lid

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

whats this?

only NFL network? are you sure? before i flip my lid

I’ll be out of town, so it makes it even trickier to track down. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

17 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Couldn’t give two craps what those clowns think.  Once of the worst shows on TV

But they have been running this show on Radio and then TV for now over 25 years !!  (First local Station in Washington, then National Radio on ESPN and the TV show)

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’ll be out of town, so it makes it even trickier to track down. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

gosh darn it.

first i had to stay up waaay past my bedtime for last nights game that got flexed. and call in to work proactively. and now this.

not sure about all this winning and popularity the Bills are getting.
what happens when we win the super bowl?
i will have to cheer for the Browns or something worse. the jests

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

yep.  or WKBW if you’re in the Buffalo area

: (

Rochester

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

gosh darn it.

first i had to stay up waaay past my bedtime for last nights game that got flexed. and call in to work proactively. and now this.

not sure about all this winning and popularity the Bills are getting.
what happens when we win the super bowl?
i will have to cheer for the Browns or something worse. the jests

: (

Rochester

If we win the Super Bowl, I’ll have Bocces send you a pizza. Plus you are entitled to an extra nap. Will that help? 

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

This is why I never understood why fans got mad when the media never gave the Bills respect over the last 20 years or so.

It is pretty simple. If you are good and beat good teams, you are going to get praise and you are going to get primetime games.

If you are bad-average which they have been before this year the past 20 years, you aren't going to get respect, and rightfully so

I totally don't get it................People mad about power rankings, preseason rankings, etc..........It's not like college.  You don't rely on polls.

I listen to Tony every day, and he's over the top for effect most of the times...........He did keep saying McDermott needs to be fired immediately when he started Peterman over Tyrod...........But, I don't take him seriously.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

McDermott preached culture from day one and most of us rolled our eyes.

I've seen a lot of commentary recently on here and in the media reflecting this opinion. I don't agree with it at all

I think most long term fans who've been with the team through the thick and thin recognized that the culture of losing was the number one thing that had to be changed first before this ship could be turned around. This entire $hitshow of a franchise needed to be fumigated from the stench of losing that Ralph (God bless his soul and thank you for keeping the team in Buffalo) allowed to permeate his team. It was refreshing to hear McBeane not only voice this but put it into practice year one.

The one major thing I saw early on was a team that played hard for their coach and didn't fold when there was a turnover or a tough stretch. That's when I knew we had a good coach and if he could grow and get some talent we'd have a competitive team.

So many people have a hard time seeing the forrest for the trees. Good football teams are more than the sum of its parts and more than just a collection of talent (aka Browns) although talent is important. 

I think these guys have earned a lot of patience from the fan base to continue to put their plan in action. Fans need to take a deep breath next time there is a bump in the road or set back, and there will be. I could care less what the national media, amatuer Twitter film analyst hacks, or local media thinks.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 hours ago, foreboding said:

...and they like JA. I recorded this for you all. Enjoy.

(Jump 8:40)

Thanks! (and ?on the timestamp)

The thing is, when McDermott announced Peterman-threw-5-picks as his starting QB the first time, *I* thought he was an idiot. 

Then when he shot Dennison out of town and there were rumors it was Dennison who had insisted, I was like, "OK, he fixes his mistakes".

Then when we announced Peterman as the starting QB x2, I was like "Yep, he's an idiot for reals". 

It can't be denied that there have been some mind-baffling personnel decisions on offense.  If Peterman was genuinely the best choice to start over McCarron and Allen (and he might have been), that just highlights the low quality of the personnel decisions at QB at that time.

I do think trying to function behind that OL last year did set Allen back in his ability to stand in and make reads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I've seen a lot of commentary recently on here and in the media reflecting this opinion. I don't agree with it at all

I think most long term fans who've been with the team through the thick and thin recognized that the culture of losing was the number one thing that had to be changed first before this ship could be turned around. This entire $hitshow of a franchise needed to be fumigated from the stench of losing that Ralph (God bless his soul and thank you for keeping the team in Buffalo) allowed to permeate his team. It was refreshing to hear McBeane not only voice this but put it into practice year one.

The one major thing I saw early on was a team that played hard for their coach and didn't fold when there was a turnover or a tough stretch. That's when I knew we had a good coach and if he could grow and get some talent we'd have a competitive team.

So many people have a hard time seeing the forest for the trees. Good football teams are more than the sum of its parts and more than just a collection of talent (aka Browns) although talent is important. 

I think these guys have earned a lot of patience from the fan base to continue to put their plan in action. Fans need to take a deep breath next time there is a bump in the road or set back, and there will be. I could care less what the national media, amatuer Twitter film analyst hacks, or local media thinks.

Good post.

What I saw early on puzzled me.  We saw great D at times and then we also saw blowouts at a higher rate.  Now I understand.  McD's defense doesn't depend upon stars; it's "Do Your 1/11" and if anyone starts to try for more and get out of place or misses his assignment, it's susceptible to the big play.  But that weakness is also its resiliance because if they give up the big play, it isn't "he whupped me, nothing I can do about it" when the guys come back to the sideline, it's "you were cheating up on that gap, follow your keys, lower your pads, wrap up when you tackle" and the guys can nod and believe if they do what coach says we'll get them next play.

That said, while you're absolutely right that the culture of losing needed to be changed, I think a lot of us were skeptical because we've heard it all before.  I believe it was Micah Hyde who pointed out that across the league a lot of coaches preach "culture" and "process". 

He then added "it's different here".

That's the piece.  Many of us who recognized that the culture needed to change were skeptical hearing McDermott talk culture and process because that talk is common and often doesn't mean very much.  But now it is starting to be seen that for McDermott, it's real and he lives it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, DQW87 said:

Thanks for sharing. Funny to see the national media waking up out of it's Bills funk slowly but surely.  Seems like a lot of them are now not only giving Buffalo respect, but a lot of them are jumping on the bandwagon.

There is often a feeling here at TBD that the national media has some sort of agenda that they deliver in a coordinated manner, and this only helps fuel it in my opinion. I don't know if someone comes from on high and tells them what to say or if it is just group think where they all start copying each other so as not to be left out.  I am seeing that play out now with the sudden Bills love, as well as the very common thread in the way the Patriots* "accidental" filming is being covered.

Almost to a man right now I am hearing ESPN spin the Pats* thing as an unfortunate mistake. They are all pointing out the separation between media relations and football operations. It is like no on is even speculating that the media angle could be a convenient cover up for a blatant attempt at cheating. It is clear when ESPN wants a story to go away or get more attention, which makes me believe the NFL has a hand in the messaging.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good post.

What I saw early on puzzled me.  We saw great D at times and then we also saw blowouts at a higher rate.  Now I understand.  McD's defense doesn't depend upon stars; it's "Do Your 1/11" and if anyone starts to try for more and get out of place or misses his assignment, it's susceptible to the big play.  But that weakness is also its resiliance because if they give up the big play, it isn't "he whupped me, nothing I can do about it" when the guys come back to the sideline, it's "you were cheating up on that gap, follow your keys, lower your pads, wrap up when you tackle" and the guys can nod and believe if they do what coach says we'll get them next play.

That said, while you're absolutely right that the culture of losing needed to be changed, I think a lot of us were skeptical because we've heard it all before.  I believe it was Micah Hyde who pointed out that across the league a lot of coaches preach "culture" and "process". 

He then added "it's different here".

That's the piece.  Many of us who recognized that the culture needed to change were skeptical hearing McDermott talk culture and process because that talk is common and often doesn't mean very much.  But now it is starting to be seen that for McDermott, it's real and he lives it.

I like your post about the D and giving up the big plays And players learninf to do their 1/11, I think you are spot on. 

I understand why people would be skeptical about "culture change" but for some reason Mcdermott was the first guy I actually believed (Rex? Hahaha, Maroon? Hahaha). McDermott practiced what he preaches with the Peterman decision. 

People still moan to this day about starting Peterman but if you look at it from a culture perspective it was the right call to start him, and the right call to yank him. If you remember we were not very active in the FA QB market and ended up with Mccaron because McBeane knew they were getting their future QB in the draft and wanted someone to handle the position for the year. Unfortunately AJ was a complete misfire for us which left Peterman and Allen. Peterman clearly outplayed Allen in the preseason. If McD had started Allen right out of the gate it would have undermined his culture message to the lockerroom that how you perform in practice/games determined how much playing time you get. When Peterman crapped the bed again he was yanked quickly and Allen started. I don't have a problem with how that was handled if you look at the big picture. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Couldn’t give two craps what those clowns think.  Once of the worst shows on TV

Wow. This is a hot take.  Imo, it is the best sports show on tv.

and our team has finished with a negative point differential the first 2 seasons under McDermott. I wonder if he was a special type of coach or just a Good DC.  We do have some flaws and play a bit too conservative for my tastes.  But McD also has this team playing hard and they don’t beat themselves.  But it’s ok for someone to change their mind with more evidence. Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do?

• Like (+1) 2