Victory Monday Interviews

9 hours ago, london_bills said:

Yeah when watching the game I actually thought to take the 3 points there. It just felt like a big 3 points - mcdermott does talk about every moment being different and I felt better at 10-10. Because our defence had their number I think.

I highlight this really as Daboll gets criticism for run plays there but he has to go with what mcd wants in those situations.

I think when playing a better team/QB there's an argument to going for a TD. The new england one is I interesting as I would of wanted a TD there but I take your point.

I didn't notice talk of players executing as such.

There was a question and I wasn't sure if daboll was saying one of the runs called was actually a pass (that Allen changed it) , I think the reporter mentioned tre white though. I dont think Daboll would mention this however.

McDermott's still learning as a coach IMO.  To me, this season, he's seemed much more willing to take chances on fourth downs during games to try and grab momentum.  I will never be a fan of sitting on 1 score leads to allow an opponent opportunity to capture momentum but can live with it knowing that McDermott's willing to press his luck in the right situation.

Dick Jauron never would.

FG was the right call at PGH.  Build a small momentum instead of squandering it. That's critical in tight slugfest games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gambit said:

I love how soft spoken he is. Dude is a grizzly bear on the field but then sounds like quite a well spoken and quiet man off field. Great listen!

Agreed. If they hadn't said his name, and I only heard his voice, he is the absolute LAST guy that I would have thought of!

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

McDermott's still learning as a coach IMO.  To me, this season, he's seemed much more willing to take chances on fourth downs during games to try and grab momentum.  I will never be a fan of sitting on 1 score leads to allow an opponent opportunity to capture momentum but can live with it knowing that McDermott's willing to press his luck in the right situation.

Dick Jauron never would.

FG was the right call at PGH.  Build a small momentum instead of squandering it. That's critical in tight slugfest games.

Could you imagine Dick Jauron going for it on that 4th and 6 at around the 35 yard line on our first TD drive?

McDermott is, if you step back and look at it, a LOT more aggressive than people give him credit for.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Dick Jauron never would.

Especially given there were two earlier losses where having an extra 3 points on the board would have arguably eased end-game strategy. 

In one we missed a FG in another we went for it and didn't make it (but for goodness sakes should have)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Especially given there were two earlier losses where having an extra 3 points on the board would have arguably eased end-game strategy. 

In one we missed a FG in another we went for it and didn't make it (but for goodness sakes should have)

And let's not forget Josh Allen.  He's very much a work in progress anticipating open receivers and manipulating the defense but we've run no huddle this year and they've allowed him to audible.  I do believe as Allen and the offense develop McDermott will be less conservative and trust them more to make plays.

One of McDermott's most under-appreciated facets is that despite his process and control he very much has an appreciation that emotions play a big role in the game and allows, even encourages the players to express them intelligently.  Just another reason why I think McDermott will eventually be even less conservative. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Agreed. If they hadn't said his name, and I only heard his voice, he is the absolute LAST guy that I would have thought of!

Could you imagine Dick Jauron going for it on that 4th and 6 at around the 35 yard line on our first TD drive?

McDermott is, if you step back and look at it, a LOT more aggressive than people give him credit for.

Hes aggressive in the right situations. Taking the 3 was the right call there(even though i was yelling at the tv to go for the endzone! haha). Tie it up and go play D. Then can get more aggressive on next drive to take the lead. Another turn over there would have been brutal. We have to play the same this week against NE. Don't give them the ball and put them in good situations. Make Brady work a long field against our top Defense. Go Bills!

Edited by badassgixxer05

5 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Can you imagine Jauron - the guy who moved practice indoors whenever the weather was bad - playing "Renegade" in practice all week to prepare the team for game-time conditions?

Anyone who thinks McD is ANYTHING like Jauron is simply not paying attention.

27 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Can you imagine Jauron - the guy who moved practice indoors whenever the weather was bad - playing "Renegade" in practice all week to prepare the team for game-time conditions?

Nothing like Jauron. Regards mcdermotts 'conservatism', in all honesty belichek kicks alot of field goals. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Search the archives of TSW from this season alone and you'll find a lot of folks who don't pay attention.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1