McDermott is establishing himself as an elite HC

Flip Johnson

6 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

One thing that has become clear over the last three years - Sean McDermott is a top end NFL coach.

To me, the most important question of the coach is - what is his contribution? What is it that he does that affects the game? Maybe eight or ten do something substantial - Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, Payton, Carroll, McVay - McDermott is stepping into that tier.

I don't know if any team in the league uses defensive timeouts as often as the Bills, but last night McDermott set up in base personnel, saw the Steelers offensive look, called TO, and brought pressure resulting in the Poyer INT. That is changing the game.

People can complain as much as they want about challenge flags or use of time outs. With McDermott the Bills have a defensive mind that changes the game for the opponent every week. He is an A+ in terms of scheme and preparation and he has the ability to be the CEO of the organization and keep everyone focused.

He won't win CoY this year and he doesn't need to. I hope he stays fifteen years.

agree completely. What the doubters don’t understand is that to be an elite head coach it’s about being an elite CEO, which he has proven to be.

The game day management (TOs, Clock, challenges, etc.) are all secondary. I don’t understand why head coaches don’t just delegate all that stuff to a “game day” coach anyway. Most of the great head coaches are not good at the game day stuff. 

People were hard on him early. Let me ask you this: were you as good in year one of your job as you were in year ten? 

I’m guessing no. Lighten up and appreciate the growth of the team.......AND the staff. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

One thing that has become clear over the last three years - Sean McDermott is a top end NFL coach.

To me, the most important question of the coach is - what is his contribution? What is it that he does that affects the game? Maybe eight or ten do something substantial - Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, Payton, Carroll, McVay - McDermott is stepping into that tier.

I don't know if any team in the league uses defensive timeouts as often as the Bills, but last night McDermott set up in base personnel, saw the Steelers offensive look, called TO, and brought pressure resulting in the Poyer INT. That is changing the game.

People can complain as much as they want about challenge flags or use of time outs. With McDermott the Bills have a defensive mind that changes the game for the opponent every week. He is an A+ in terms of scheme and preparation and he has the ability to be the CEO of the organization and keep everyone focused.

He won't win CoY this year and he doesn't need to. I hope he stays fifteen years.

Hes young! Why only 15 lol

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I really like him, so far BUT......

We need at least one playoff win this year and a good second game where we lose because they are the better team talent wise.

Then you can start talking about being in the top third of the league.

you want to lose a playoff game?

14 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I really like him, so far BUT......

We need at least one playoff win this year and a good second game where we lose because they are the better team talent wise.

Then you can start talking about being in the top third of the league.

Too late. We ready started talking about it.

On 12/16/2019 at 5:09 PM, Flip Johnson said:

how ON EARTH can he be COY when he just refuses to play Duke Williams? I mean, come on, yo.

• Haha (+1) 2

I was not excited about this hire at all, because honestly why would I have been?  This franchise has had a revolving door of mediocre-to-bad coaches since Levy or maybe Wade Phillips.  But McDermott has been great.  It's easy to quibble with some of his gameday decisions, but the bottom line is that in all three seasons it feels like our team finishes with a record that's about two wins better than what the roster would indicate.  We had no business making the playoffs in 2017 and I still don't fully understand how last year's team scraped together six wins.  This year, we methodically beat everybody we were supposed to beat with no slip ups, won our share of tough games, and have a playoff berth clinched with two weeks left to go.  He and Beane very clearly have this team turned around are doing it right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

No!!!!

But, I realistically don’t expect to beat KC or Baltimore. 
Could we?

Yes

Would I wager it?

Nope

got it, but with this defense we are in every game and I expect this D to play great in the  playoffs

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

No question about it. He is as good a leader as this team has had ranking right up there with Marv Levy and Lou Saban. He may have a couple soft spots that he could improve like challenges, but his ability to command respect and pull a team together is unlike anything we've seen in a long time. As a defensive leader, in particular, he has been brilliant getting the most out of his players. He doesn't care what you're getting paid or what your past accomplishments are. You put your teammates ahead of yourself or you don't play for his team. The results have exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we win a playoff game this year and we'll still have a bunch of cap space for 2020. All we need now is for Josh Allen to take his game up a couple levels so he doesn't hold us back and things could get even more interesting.

On 12/16/2019 at 5:59 PM, sherpa said:

I think his timeout to spot the offensive set is used up.

It is extremely predictable now.

I'm guessing it won't be long that opposing offenses will predict it and come out in some set and after the timeout, change the play, or he doesn't take the timeout, audible out of the original set into something they want to do.

Last night it was extremely predictable.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, Scott7975 said:

maybe he is fine with that too. Maybe he does it so they do change their set because he doesn’t like it. 

He actually addressed this when he was asked about it his first year here. His response was basically that they want to be in the best defense for what the offense is showing, and that if the offense changes up too at least he forced them into taking their second best option instead of their best option. I still remember that because it stuck out to me how it simultaneously made so much sense, yet was mind blowing that we actually had a coach who thought that way compared to what we were used to with the previous few coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, nucci said:

got it, but with this defense we are in every game and I expect this D to play great in the  playoffs

Agreed!

But unless we are playing Dallas , Beasely is good for one drive killing drop,Same for Knox . 
This offense needs one more year and an infusion of receiver and o line upgrades and a bruising back to compliment Singletary.

I truly believe Beane will get most of that done?