McDermott is establishing himself as an elite HC

Flip Johnson

One thing that has become clear over the last three years - Sean McDermott is a top end NFL coach.

To me, the most important question of the coach is - what is his contribution? What is it that he does that affects the game? Maybe eight or ten do something substantial - Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, Payton, Carroll, McVay - McDermott is stepping into that tier.

I don't know if any team in the league uses defensive timeouts as often as the Bills, but last night McDermott set up in base personnel, saw the Steelers offensive look, called TO, and brought pressure resulting in the Poyer INT. That is changing the game.

People can complain as much as they want about challenge flags or use of time outs. With McDermott the Bills have a defensive mind that changes the game for the opponent every week. He is an A+ in terms of scheme and preparation and he has the ability to be the CEO of the organization and keep everyone focused.

He won't win CoY this year and he doesn't need to. I hope he stays fifteen years.

• Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sure is a good coach, I feel like he will do the same for the offense over the next couple of years, Beane will find the players for him. If we win the division or run deep into the playoffs he will certainly be a COY top candidate, and should win it imo. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 4

That job he did in 2017 established him as a solid coach, even in 2018 winning 6 games was slightly above their talent level. Then in 2019 with a talent roster full of players who were fully built into his system he has flourished. And the team unlike the 2018 Bears is set up to add and retain talent in the following off-season building off of success as opposed to overachieving for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

He’s a good coach. He’s an elite leader. 
What he’s done the past two seasons with an inferior roster and getting the most out of his guys is nothing short of amazing. 
However as coach there’s still some things that don’t stand out as elite like some of the guys you mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s a good coach. He’s an elite leader. 
What he’s done the past two seasons with an inferior roster and getting the most out of his guys is nothing short of amazing. 
However as coach there’s still some things that don’t stand out as elite like some of the guys you mentioned.

I agree, but like Josh Allen, I think he'll get there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree, but like Josh Allen, I think he'll get there.

Yeah I don’t blame him at all for a lot of the criticism he gets on here. I see why he does some of the head scratching things he does. 
Good news is they’re winning and building a winning culture. 

4 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

DSbY_9wVAAAT_Ht.jpg

That’s gold right there 

• Like (+1) 1

Everything is tied with the growth of Josh Allen.  If Allen succeeds McDermott will too and both will remain here for a long time.

Every sign points to that success.  Both of them work hard and committed to the process.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

One thing that has become clear over the last three years - Sean McDermott is a top end NFL coach.

To me, the most important question of the coach is - what is his contribution? What is it that he does that affects the game? Maybe eight or ten do something substantial - Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, Payton, Carroll, McVay - McDermott is stepping into that tier.

I don't know if any team in the league uses defensive timeouts as often as the Bills, but last night McDermott set up in base personnel, saw the Steelers offensive look, called TO, and brought pressure resulting in the Poyer INT. That is changing the game.

People can complain as much as they want about challenge flags or use of time outs. With McDermott the Bills have a defensive mind that changes the game for the opponent every week. He is an A+ in terms of scheme and preparation and he has the ability to be the CEO of the organization and keep everyone focused.

He won't win CoY this year and he doesn't need to. I hope he stays fifteen years.

Great Post. I think with Mcd is that if he sticks with is mantra he will be continuously evaluating himself and his weaknesses. He should always be looking to evolve as a coach. Timeouts is a great example. 

The challenge issue doesn’t bother me really.  I don’t expect the refs to make the right call even when the video evidence shows otherwise. To me it’s become a crapshoot. He’s made good challenges and still lost.

He is going no where for a long time. I guess to yardbarker or some low rate writer  he now off the hot seat.

8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Everything is tied with the growth of Josh Allen.  If Allen succeeds McDermott will too and both will remain here for a long time.

Every sign points to that success.  Both of them work hard and committed to the process.

I don't think Allen will flop at all. However, if he did for any reason, I'd be 100% content with this coaching staff and FO getting another crack at the QB position in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think his timeout to spot the offensive set is used up.

It is extremely predictable now.

I'm guessing it won't be long that opposing offenses will predict it and come out in some set and after the timeout, change the play, or he doesn't take the timeout, audible out of the original set into something they want to do.

Last night it was extremely predictable.

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm guessing it won't be long that opposing offenses will predict it and come out in some set and after the timeout, change the play, or he doesn't take the timeout, audible out of the original set into something they want to do.

Yet, it worked. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, sherpa said:

maybe he is fine with that too. Maybe he does it so they do change their set because he doesn’t like it. 

• Like (+1) 1