Joe B/Athletic on the Stillers Game

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have not yet heard Joe B acknowledge or accept some "crow" for predicting we lose to Pitts.

Anyone?

All y’all with Twitter accounts should tweet him just to politely remind him that crow is just yummy this time of year, 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's the yardage of Gore's carries prior to that series (unless named, ball carrier is Gore)

3 yd

5 yd

no gain

Gained at least 3 yds on 2 of 3 carries

Previously on that series:

9 yd

-1 yd

(Josh Allen keeper 2 yd, 1st down)

Here's the series where we got stuffed

-2 yd

-5 yd (aborted gadget play)

(Devin Singletary -3 yds, 4th down, FG)

It seems to me that Daboll, looking at overall results, is not without basis for expecting a bit more from Gore, and there was a breakdown in blocking or execution which led to the stuffs of both Gore and Singletary. 

That said, the breakdown may be that Daboll's play calling in those situations is far too predictable, and a good defense is keying off.  We certainly aren't winning the "man whupping man" battles up front.

It seems to me that it’s important to mention that one Gore’s “runs” on that 4th quarter red zone series wasn’t a conservative run but in fact a go-for-the-throat halfback option pass. It just wasn’t there.

5 hours ago, arcane said:

Gore has fallen off the table and is a wasted down at this point. You can't waste downs against New England, or they will eat Allen alive.

gore.PNG.72b4694424be856d3e04d227c4f5f152.PNG

Since Philly he's been awful, and even in the Denver game, aside from a random 27 yarder he went 14 for 38 yards, or ~2.7 yards per carry. His legs are just shot.

Basic rule of sports stats: don’t X out the good plays to make an average-based argument. The good plays count too. That said, I agree about Gore.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It seems to me that it’s important to mention that one Gore’s “runs” on that 4th quarter red zone series wasn’t a conservative run but in fact a go-for-the-throat halfback option pass. It just wasn’t there.

Ah, Yes?  What part of "aborted gadget play" in my post to which you responded was insufficiently clear?

That would be the -5 yd loss:

Here's the series where we got stuffed

-2 yd

-5 yd (aborted gadget play)

(Devin Singletary -3 yds, 4th down, FG)

The halfback run where they tried to swing Gore wide out to the right got stuffed for -2 yds, and the gadget play followed it.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except I don't think that's what he does.  It's contrary to what Daboll says: said in Ravens game after Knox drop, he told Boras (TE coach) "get to him right away because we're gonna go right back to him".  Likewise after Singletary fumble, we passed to him on first play of next offensive series.  It was nullified by penalty on Dawkins, but he caught it.

I don't think he does that either and I view that as a positive. When you start admonishing young players for "honest" mistakes, it often leads to failure. I don't want these guys playing to avoid mistakes. Psych 101 tells you that's not the way to go. Unless you believe Knox or Singletary are liabilities, you trot them back out there and let them do their thing. 

Much more likely that the Bills went to Kroft more against Pitt for his blocking than some kind of punishment.