Jags lose NFLPA Grievance. 25% of NFL grievances filed against Jags.

MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess what I'm confused about is it talks about treatment.  So rehab consists of both treatment and workouts.  So what would be the point of requiring someone to get treatment, where they can't workout? 

Or is it that the Jags kept the facility open and was requiring both treatment  and workout to take place?

Or am I wrong that the facility can't be open for working out, in which case the way to do it would be as the Bills have done - build a world class facility and training staff and have guys saying "why would I travel when the best is available right here?"

I think for rehab and treatments you can open your facility as long as not mandatory. 

jags made it mandatory and why they lost the grievance. 

seems based on Donte Fowler’s tweets this was his grievance 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You should retitle this because the news reports are saying that this is all Coughlin, not Marrone. Coughlin is trending on twitter right now actually.

This ain’t Marrone. Fake news. It’s Coughlin, which is hardly surprising given his history.

Neither name is mentioned so how are you gleaning this, particularly given Marrone’s clear penchant for control?

EDIT: read further down and now get it. Belay my last ? 

I do, however, suspect Marrone was totally on board with this. It’s who he has always appeared to be. 

Edited by TroutDog

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I’m no fan of Marrone, but this does look like a Coughlin issue.  Thank god the Pegulas didn’t hire him when so many people thought he should become their “football czar”.

10 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I am.

He preached the team was a family and then bailed on that team when he knew he could get a year of free money out of the Bills as well as become the HC of the Jests.

One of the two worked out for him and, years later, he is about to get canned.

Couldn't happen to a nicer human being.

I'm no huge fan of Marrone, although I do think he's a decent coach, but everybody says the team is a family. And nearly everyone would bail if they thought they were being undermined at the team level.

Marrone didn't get along with Whaley and it looked like the Pegulas were going to start siding with Whaley.

That wasn't a moral issue and nearly all coaches would do the same thing if they felt it was to their best advantage.

The whole "you must never leave, but we'll fire you any time we want," thing that fans tend to want to hold players and coaches to doesn't make sense as a moral issue. People make decisions by what's in their best interest. Holding that against them doesn't make any sense.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Coughing is definitely the ring leader here.

Jags beat reporter ^

Ahhhhhhhhh. Interesting.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm no huge fan of Marrone, although I do think he's a decent coach, but everybody says the team is a family. And nearly everyone would bail if they thought they were being undermined at the team level.

Marrone didn't get along with Whaley and it looked like the Pegulas were going to start siding with Whaley.

That wasn't a moral issue and nearly all coaches would do the same thing if they felt it was to their best advantage.

The whole "you must never leave, but we'll fire you any time we want," thing that fans tend to want to hold players and coaches to doesn't make sense as a moral issue. People make decisions by what's in their best interest. Holding that against them doesn't make any sense.

I guess good for you that you’re a Marrone apologist. Players were also pissed at him for the reasons I stated.

Marrone left for two reasons. agreed and he over-estimated himself on the head coaching market and thought the Jets job would be his.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Personally I think our priorities need to be:

Weapons on Offense

Pass Rush

Offensive line.

Right now, my priorities are:

1.  Enjoying the success of the Bills.

2.  Watching the NFL dumpster fires elsewhere.

Schadenfreud?  Maybe.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Star has an out after next year that would only cost $5 in dead cap. Murphy only has one more year left and his dead cap would only be $1.75 million if cut next year. 

I'd much rather have J Phillips over Star, I'd be surprised if they don't use that out after next year. Keep him around next year while H Phillips gets to 100% and then you've got Jordan, Harry, and Ed as your top 3, that's a damn good looking group. 

You're right, it would be a lot of cash tied up. It depends how much Jordan (and Shaq) are looking for.

Star and J Phillips play different positions. I think it is much harder to replace Star than you think. Those body types are hard to find. I think Star is overpaid but at this point who cares. It won’t affect ability to sign guys in 2020. They have enough cap room to add a big FA like Amari Cooper and sign Phillips or Lawson. I would tag Lawson and cut Murphy. Then try and sign Phillips

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You should retitle this because the news reports are saying that this is all Coughlin, not Marrone. Coughlin is trending on twitter right now actually.

This ain’t Marrone. Fake news. It’s Coughlin, which is hardly surprising given his history.

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Coughlin is a nightmare.  He's destroying that team.

Yep, you could tell the Ramsey thing was 100% about Coughlin, even after the fight with Marrone on the sidelines. Coughlin is still a "football" guy, does not believe the players have any rights, and the CBA is just a "suggestion" not actually rules. 

Started in the spring during voluntary workouts..they aint voluntary if ya Jaguar!

BTW, i still think Marrone is a bad person, but a mediocre coach

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yep, you could tell the Ramsey thing was 100% about Coughlin, even after the fight with Marrone on the sidelines. Coughlin is still a "football" guy, does not believe the players have any rights, and the CBA is just a "suggestion" not actually rules. 

Started in the spring during voluntary workouts..they aint voluntary if ya Jaguar!

BTW, i still think Marrone is a bad person, but a mediocre coach

Yeah, I'm not sold on Marrone being a decent NFL coach by any stretch.  Your description of Coughlin is spot on.  His style is antiquated and he no longer belongs in the league.

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Star and J Phillips play different positions. I think it is much harder to replace Star than you think. Those body types are hard to find. I think Star is overpaid but at this point who cares. It won’t affect ability to sign guys in 2020. They have enough cap room to add a big FA like Amari Cooper and sign Phillips or Lawson. I would tag Lawson and cut Murphy. Then try and sign Phillips

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Murphy. He's certainly going to be a popular vet cut option from fans as he'd save around $7 million on the cap, but he's been playing better, so unless you have an obvious upgrade (Yannick?), I think you keep him for his final year of his contract.

Harrison and Star play mostly the position though, right? Keep Star next year while Harrison gets to 100% and then cut him and save $10 million on the cap the next two years. His dead cap hit isn't bad either of the next two years, so he could be around for two more, but I don't expect him to be around for the length of his contract.

I don't disagree that Star is harder to replace than I'm making it out to be. I'm certainly not in the "cut Star now, he sucks" group. I'm just thinking about in 2 years, I'd much rather have a potential slight downgrade with Harrison over Star (even that's debatable, Harrison was playing very well to start the year) and have that extra $5 million in cap space in 2021 and then $10 in 2022. At that point Star is going to be 31, I don't know if $10 million for a mostly run stuffing 31-32 year old makes a ton of sense.

Jordan has had a big impact against the pass, he had Shaq lead the team in sacks. They're both going to get paid, hopefully here. If they keep Star around, that'd be a ton of money allocated to the D-line. That said, the D-line is one place I'm totally OK spending a lot on. 

I edited this a few times and am a little bit all over the place with the contract numbers. Whatever happens, I really hope they re-sign Jordan and Shaq. 

Assuming it was 100% Coughlin, that still looks poorly on Marrone, IMO. Does he not have any communication with Coughlin, the players, or the training staff? Does he not know the rules or have any idea of what's going on within the organization? 

Edited by elroy16