BS Pittsburgh Gazette

gobills1212

Yes very good defenses but the Bills' offense isn't very good.  They desperately need a big effective back, a big receiver and for JA to continue to improve.  All this is quite obvious and most certainly will be addressed for 2020.  Until then it's been a good ride this year and a win this Saturday would be special. 

• Like (+1) 1

I dont disagree its not great, BUT there is a lot of completley inept O around the NFL this season. The Bills arent in the top 5, but not in the bottom 5 either as this article would have you believe. To admit both teams have excellent Ds and then use that game as an example to talk crap about the O completely ignoring the point of a D showdown and how by nature they are low scoring regardless of firepower.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You can't argue that the Bills offense isn't very good, as stated in the article, because it's not.  JA's play wasn't spectacular against the Steelers, but it was better than what they gave him credit for.  I'll take Josh over Duck or Mason Rudolph any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  The Stillers and their Crying Towels should worry about their QB position and HC, and not any one else's.

It is a 2-way street.

JA needs the ball in his hand to be in a rhythm,  He plays really well when you don't ask him to throw 1 out of every 3 downs.  However, the Bills coaching staff is focused on eliminating mistakes and play the grind it football.  JA is a good team player to play both models, but he is out of sync in the latter.  It is what it is...May be they will let it loose next yaer...may bee the coaching staff doeen't believe JA is ready yet.

18 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I dont disagree its not great, BUT there is a lot of completley inept O around the NFL this season. The Bills arent in the top 5, but not in the bottom 5 either as this article would have you believe. To admit both teams have excellent Ds and then use that game as an example to talk crap about the O completely ignoring the point of a D showdown and how by nature they are low scoring regardless of firepower.

Our passing offense is 28th in the league...indeed in the bottom 5..However that is not JA fault.

55 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You can't argue that the Bills offense isn't very good, as stated in the article, because it's not.  JA's play wasn't spectacular against the Steelers, but it was better than what they gave him credit for.  I'll take Josh over Duck or Mason Rudolph any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  The Stillers and their Crying Towels should worry about their QB position and HC, and not any one else's.

For everybody who says things like this really has no clue! The offence is doing exactly what it is being asked to do! Don't make to many mistakes, score some point it does not have to be a lot just enough for the Defense that only give ups about 14 pts a game! Almost ever game is the same when they need a score they move down and get it! if they are ahead the play calling changes to conservative play calling! We all know Frank gore is going to run the ball when he is in the game if the offence gets a first down great if not no big deal the Defense will stop them, this is the coaching decisions! This is the plan nothing flashy just grind it out! This is the "Process" Plan! They are winning stop complaining you dont like the way they win or get a different team!

1 minute ago, Jonesyyy said:

For everybody who says things like this really has no clue! The offence is doing exactly what it is being asked to do! Don't make to many mistakes, score some point it does not have to be a lot just enough for the Defense that only give ups about 14 pts a game! Almost ever game is the same when they need a score they move down and get it! if they are ahead the play calling changes to conservative play calling! We all know Frank gore is going to run the ball when he is in the game if the offence gets a first down great if not no big deal the Defense will stop them, this is the coaching decisions! This is the plan nothing flashy just grind it out! This is the "Process" Plan! They are winning stop complaining you dont like the way they win or get a different team!

You seem to know very little.  I'll leave it at that.

C'MON MAN! We give Tomlin Credit for getting the most out of a depleted roster with a 3rd string QB. Give the Bills That much respect for winning the dayum game. Your team lost. Suck it up and get over it. You'll feel better Sunday when they win again.

2 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Commentary: Sunday put AFC's poor playoff picture on display | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/columns/2019/12/16/afc-playoff-race-bills-steelers-titans-texans/stories/201912150229

Oddly written piece.  At first I thought it was just sour grapes and dude was just acting like so many 'Bills fans' in the gameday thread and his team lost BUT its not a straight shot at the Bills or Allen. Maybe its they have a standard that is not being lived up to. Whats weird to me however is how quick he is to discount both teams O, while not taking into account the point of a really good D.... which is to shut down the other teams O. Common sense dictates that if 2 excellent Ds square off - its not going to be a shootout, but rather a down and dirty grind out type of game. The Pats have been in games like that over the years as have the Steelers. Anyway, its a weird way to trash your team (and ours?) and just makes me think hes scraping the bottom of the barrel. Tough read and tough to justify.  In the end I just think he is bummed and thats his way of dealing w it. Bummed these aren't the Steelers of old who would have taken a hammer to the Bills of old and the only way to make himself feel better is to dump on BOTH team.

Fwiw, the deff dont seem like a team who gives credit where credit is due but rather blame yourself and writing the other team off as the worse team had they not have beaten themselves 

Pats have been in a lot of those games this year, including against us...Brady looks like a shell of his former self, they are winning due to great D and ST.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

This was not really a very close game. The Bills defense just toyed with the Steelers  being patient then waiting for the turnovers.

To me the game was never in doubt. . One thing for sure, all this talk about the return of the STEEL CURTAIN was greatly exaggerated.

Not close? The bills were losing 10-7 in the fourth quarter.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

all this article is about is a writer who is sore after his beloved Steelers lost a big nationally televised game.  Allen was fine yesterday & anybody that can not see his tremendous upside really does have an agenda.  The steeler fanbase is the very definition of a spoiled rotten fanbase.  It is going to be fun watching that organization try to find another franchise QB after Big ben retires, which should be very soon.  

Don't be so sure ... the Patriots replaced Drew Bledsoe with Tom Brady,  Packers replaced Brett Favre with Aaron Rodgers, the Cowboys replaced Tony Romo with Dak Prescott, the Chiefs replaced Alex Smith with Patrick Mahomes, and the Ravens replaced Joe Flacco with Lamar Jackson.

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is a 2-way street.

JA needs the ball in his hand to be in a rhythm,  He plays really well when you don't ask him to throw 1 out of every 3 downs.  However, the Bills coaching staff is focused on eliminating mistakes and play the grind it football.  JA is a good team player to play both models, but he is out of sync in the latter.  It is what it is...May be they will let it loose next yaer...may bee the coaching staff doeen't believe JA is ready yet.

Our passing offense is 28th in the league...indeed in the bottom 5..However that is not JA fault.

Respectfully (and its opinion based to a degree as im sure we could both find stats to frame our narrative but i dont really think we disagree per se) with out even blinking I can think of 5 worse teams on O than us. Passing is only part of the attack and even then i still feel he took a cheap shot at Allen for no other reason he is pissed the Steelers lost and it makes him feel better to talk crap. Much in the same vein ill never understand why people try so hard to make up nicknames for teams as an insult (cowGURLS  and Patsies come etc comes naturallyI guess but some of the stuff is like fitting a square peg in a round hole and is just embarassing) why is it so hard for people to just give props? I actually came to really like Tomlin after listening to his post game presser. It wasnt riddled with 'have to watch the tape' answers and straight up said they take responsibility and its not an excuse but that was an excellent D/Team we just lost to. Refreshing, respectful, and most of all (like when we lost to Philly) they got outplayed and tipped the hat.

Edited by gobills1212

18 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You seem to know very little.  I'll leave it at that.

Whats funny is you actually think you know something, but by your first post i can only see you know nothing about the game and the way Buffalo coaches are running the team! Actually take the time and watch the play calling as compared to the score. What is really sad is you most likely are a band wagoner! The most important thing, Just because you have been on this site for awhile does not mean you know anything about football! 

• Sad 1

I'm not bothering to read the linked article, but I did listen to a Steelers podcast the other day to see what they had to say.  Predictably, it focused on Steelers' shortcomings and not how good the Bills were. 

All media is just about the clicks and appealing to their respective audiences, not about telling the truth.  

On 12/16/2019 at 2:25 PM, H2o said:

Speaking of which, did anyone else seem to notice last night Ben looks like he may be pushing 290lbs right now? 

He may be pushing 290 lbs in a shopping cart when he buys groceries recently, but that's the only time.

I think he's well up over 300 lb.  Since the "Camera adds 10 lbs" maybe 325?

Perspective:

Josh Allen, who looks relatively fit-n-trim, is 238 lbs and 6'5".  That's a solid weight for a muscular 6'5" guy who is fit but not cut or lean.

When Ben came out in the draft, he was listed as 245.  On the Steelers site, he's listed as 240.  This has struck me as "wishful thinking" for years.  I think he's been playing at more like 260, maybe at times 270. 

He's packed on a good 40-50 lbs from what I saw.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He may be pushing 290 lbs in a shopping cart when he buys groceries recently, but that's the only time.

I think he's well up over 300 lb.  Since the "Camera adds 10 lbs" maybe 325?

Perspective:

Josh Allen, who looks relatively fit-n-trim, is 238 lbs and 6'5".  That's a solid weight for a muscular 6'5" guy who is fit but not cut or lean.

When Ben came out in the draft, he was listed as 245.  On the Steelers site, he's listed as 240.  This has struck me as "wishful thinking" for years.  I think he's been playing at more like 260, maybe at times 270. 

He's packed on a good 40-50 lbs from what I saw.

Yeah, he looked more like a OL'man wearing that headset than he did a QB. I figured he always played at about 260-265 once he got about 5 years or so into it. If he has put on that much weight it is going to take some hard work and dedication to get it off, especially the older you get. 

On 12/16/2019 at 3:17 PM, HOUSE said:

This was not really a very close game. The Bills defense just toyed with the Steelers  being patient then waiting for the turnovers.

To me the game was never in doubt. . One thing for sure, all this talk about the return of the STEEL CURTAIN was greatly exaggerated.

We might’ve seen different games. In the one I watched the Bills were losing 10-7 in the 4th quarter before winning 17-10 and finished with 261 yards of total offense.  Kinda seemed to me like the game was in question for quite some time and that the Steelers defense did pretty darn well.  The Steelers finished with 229 yards of total offense with the Duck at QB holding them back.  I don’t see how you can rave about the Bills D going up against a team with a 3rd string QB but not give the Steelers D their due.  They had a tougher job and did very well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:56 PM, gobills1212 said:

Most of what pertains to the Bills...

The Bills and Steelers offenses, however, are really bad. The Steelers at least have an excuse because they are playing with a quarterback from the bottom of their depth chart. The Bills have a first-round draft pick, Josh Allen, at quarterback, and while he clearly is a strong player with a huge arm, he isn’t very good at actually playing the position of quarterback.

The Steelers — with an undrafted rookie at quarterback — might be Buffalo’s signature win of the season thus far. The Steelers are still searching for theirs, as they haven’t beaten a team that is likely to even sniff the playoffs.

That’s amazing when you think about it considering how deep we are into the season. These two teams have basically ridden great defenses and feasted on bad schedules to slop together enough wins to get into playoff position.

But are they actually good teams? There was plenty of evidence Sunday at Heinz Field Sunday to suggest neither rises to that level. Sunday had the feel of two mediocre football teams trying to figure out how to win a game despite their quarterback and despite their offense’s shortcomings.

Just seemed pretty skeezy for an actual real newspaper imo

Cue the "waah waah waah" noise on the take "while he clearly is a strong player with a huge arm, he isn’t very good at actually playing the position of quarterback"

I could see that POV after the Patriots game Week 4 when Josh threw 3 picks, fumbled, and got knocked unconscious.  We saw that worrisome pick in preseason, a worrisome pick in the Jets game, then the Pats game was atrocious.  To Allen's credit, he picked himself up, dusted himself off, and got to work, and it seems to be paying off.

Pittsburgh is the #1 D for sacks and for QB hurries.  Josh was sacked once.  You could tell he was feeling some heat, and I saw a couple of misfires, but only one pass that was not good enough to be caught.  The INT wasn't a dumb mistake, it was a ball that was thrown too high for Beasley but Cris Collinsworth or James Washington makes that catch 6 times out of 7.  Allen is clearly a work in progress and to his credit, he knows it, and he's working his butt off.

Listen up, Pittsburgh Pencil Pusher.  Our team is 10-4 and has their playoff spot locked in.  Your team has the same record as the Tennessee Titans.  Mind your own store. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, gobills1212 said:

Whats weird to me however is how quick he is to discount both teams O, while not taking into account the point of a really good D.... which is to shut down the other teams O. Common sense dictates that if 2 excellent Ds square off - its not going to be a shootout,

Maybe because it wouldn't take a really good D to beat an Offense that has averaged 15 ppg over its last 5 and is on its 3rd string QB throwing to James Washington and Diontae Johnson?  A lame offense that twice late in the 4th Q was deep in Bills territory on game tying drives (where the 3rd string QB tossed 2 ints).  And the fully healthy Bills Offense that could only muster 17 first downs to go with 17 points, 6-14 on 3rd down, 52% completions with drops here and there and 6 punts.

Maybe that's what the guy might have been lamenting?