Any other Long Suffering Bills fans just feel great about sticking with the team?

billsfan89

2 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

fell in love with them when I would use Kelly/Thurman/Bruce Smith in Tecmo Bowl... love them now - this team is going places and Josh Allen will continue to get better

I didn't think the Bills were in Techmo Bowl?  I had to use Madden. 

But yeah, it feels good, but what will feel great is finally winning a SB!

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You started in 2001?  Not sure that qualifies as long suffering! 

My fandom goes back to the 1970s, but no, I don't feel great about sticking with the team! 

That suggests switching teams or abandoning the Bills was some type of option, and I have never thought of it that way, nor could I.

I'm a Bills fan until I'm dead, in good times and bad.

That qualifies as the worst suffering ;)

The poor guy has never known a winning Bills team...….until now

Let the good times roll :)

My Bills history as follows.  I'm in my 50's and have the vaguest recollection of the AFL playoff teams.  Really did not follow sports during the late 1960's, 1970's and early 1980's for various reasons.  Got interested in the Bills during the mid-1980's during a tough time for the team.  Watched the glory years of the early 1990's and the attempt to recapture the glory under Wade Phillips late in the 1990's.  I watched Gregg Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, etc. during the 2000's and while despair set in I never thought about quitting the team.  It was tough at times especially around 2010-2012.  I never had any ill will towards Ralph but knew the long down period was in large part due to Ralph's declining ability to run the team from the sports side versus the business side.  Fortunately, Ralph had it together to the point to have had a good succession plan in place of which we are reaping the rewards from today.  Terry Pegula made me feel confident that if he could hit upon a good management team that the team would start trending upward.  He had newbie problems such as identifying good management and took his lumps accordingly.  Through all this I never thought about quitting the Bills and always had the attitude that it was Buffalo or nothing as my identity with the city grew from knowing I had family on my mother's side of the family who resided in the greater Buffalo metro area.

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't know how you could look at the Tyrod years and think of jumping ship. Compared to the JP Losman, Fitz, Trent Edwards, and post 2002 first half Bledsoe Tyrod was the best QB of the bunch and had produced a winning record. I get not liking Tyrod but he was far from the bottom of the pack. 

The game where he couldn't get the offense past the 50 against the giants INFURIATED me.

I have a friend who has been a loyal, life-long Giants fan.  After last season he told me he was done with the Giants forever.  He even went as far as to adopt another favorite team, the Chiefs.

I thought he was just being a tool, but he even has a bunch of KC gear now that he wears all the time.

I just can’t relate...

27 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

My low point was when they hired Wrex.

Mine got lower when they hired his brother.  On yesterday's Redskins game, they showed the hairy blob and remarked what a defensive genius he is.  That's what they said about Rex; I mean that's what Rex said about Rex.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have a friend who has been a loyal, life-long Giants fan.  After last season he told me he was done with the Giants forever.  He even went as far as to adopt another favorite team, the Chiefs.

I thought he was just being a tool, but he even has a bunch of KC gear now that he wears all the time.

I just can’t relate...

I don't understand this.  The Giants have had rough stretches including no playoffs form 1967-1983.  If a person has been a fan of that team any amount of time they would know that it is not all up all the time.  There will be poor periods.  I got people being fans of the Dolphins or Raiders years ago because they had many good years but not always back to back.  I got that they could not handle a team being down more than a year or two and also realized when the bad times stuck around for several years that they would be onto the next hot team.  But to quit on the Giants especially if you are much older than 40-45 years of age makes no sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Mine got lower when they hired his brother.  On yesterday's Redskins game, they showed the hairy blob and remarked what a defensive genius he is.  That's what they said about Rex; I mean that's what Rex said about Rex.

#4 your going to settle for #4? (wrex spouting off after firing Schwartz) 

I am going to get you bottom 5 guaranteed ;) 

Been a Bill's fan since they started at the Rock Pile.  I'm 74 and never even thought of not loving them.  When Kim and Terry bought the Bill's I had tears in my eyes.  Not a lie.  Moved out of Buffalo when I was 19 and have been to games many times since.  Know it's The Ticket.  Never miss a game.  My entire family room is Bill's.  Yes, I still expect Bill's present on birthdays and Christmas.  Go Bill's!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I grew up in Buffalo/Tonawanda in the '70s and have been a lifelong fan!  I live in Virginia and have been with my wife for 15 years.  They've never had a good season the whole time she's known me.  She finally asked me a few years ago.... why don't you just choose a new team?  Obviously that's not in the cards and yesterday was vindication!  I'm so happy that they won their way in on the first opportunity rather than backing in through other team's losses.  Onward!

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When Josh threw the TD pass to Kroft, I jumped off the couch and yelled "MY FAITH HAS BEEN REWARDED!"

So yeah, I'm glad I stuck with it. There was a point in Tuhrod's second season where I briefly considered jumping ship. But I'm glad I held out.

that has to be one of the most unique fan yells I have ever heard of!! 

that said, in the moment, I have yelled some of the most random things and discovered dancing skills I never knew existed. 

I moved away from WNY in 1976 but still consider it home, although I've lived overseas and in seven other states since then (military, government jobs).  In all my travels I have met exactly ONE person who had been a Bills fan who switched loyalties to another team.  He told me he became a Giants fan after the SB losses. I was shocked.

There is something about being from WNY and/or being a Bills fan (almost redundant, there) that sticks.  To suggest a Bills Mafia member would switch to the other side would be like a real Mafia member turning state's evidence.  If I did that I think I'd have to go into witness protection.

Fan since 1963, when my uncle, aunt, and cousins moved from Buffalo to Boston and the rivalry began. 

23 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If you pee on the bush long enough, it will eventually grow

Well if my dog pees on the bush long enough, it will die.  I know from experience.

Edited by Utah John
edit
  • Haha (+1) 1