Any other Long Suffering Bills fans just feel great about sticking with the team?

billsfan89

On 12/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, thenorthremembers said:

I am beyond happy about the season but not being a Bills fan was never an option. 

Well said. Same here since as a young boy I cried when KC beat the Bills for the 1966 AFL Championship. Bills fan for life.

I became a Bills fan in 1982, just in time to witness the worst stretch of football in team history, highlighted by a GRAND TOTAL of 8 wins from 1984 to 1986.

If I remained a fan after 1985 after 2 consecutive 2 win seasons, then I would NEVER change teams ever again, because it never looked bleaker to be a fan of this team right after 1985.

But I stuck around and 34 years later, here I am. ?

6 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Well said. Same here since as a young boy I cried when KC beat the Bills for the 1966 AFL Championship. Bills fan for life.

I knew early on the depth of my love for the team.  I dont know how old I was, 5 maybe 6, 1988 or 1989.   I watched every Sunday with my Dad.   One particular Sunday I asked my Dad how long he had been a Bills fan, and I vividly remember him saying "Oh buddy, I am not a Bills fan, I am a Raiders fan."   I felt so betrayed!   But I stayed with the Bills.   When 51-3 happened I remember our phone ringing after every score, it was my Dad's buddies calling to give him crap.  I loved my Dad dearly, my hero for sure.  But that day I was one of his Bill's fan buddies giving him hell for being on the wrong side.

29 years, and six kids later, I have a family full of Bills fans who sit and watch with me every Sunday, win or lose.  The Bills come up every Friday on my way to drop my children off at school.   My 14 year old daughter tells me her friends at school ask her how she knows so much about football.  She tells them, I come from a Bills family.   Sundays in my house are filled with high fives, great food, and lots of love- Our Buffalo Bills are a huge part of that.  I only wish my Dad were here to watch Bills and Raiders with us next year.

The thing is, the Bills arent just a football team, they are part of my family memories.   Giving up on the Bills would feel like turning your back on family.   You dont do it.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been a fan since the mid 70s.

When I was a kid, if the games weren't on TV, I would turn on the radio broadcast and manage my own "Game Tracker" using my electric football game. 

When I was about 14, I had a buddy who's grandfather ran one of the concessions. I went to help out on several occasions. I'll never forget the first game I worked. I'd never been to a game before and we got there about 9 am, picked up some supplies and got into the main concourse on our way to the stand. I just had to see the field, so I turned up one of the tunnels and when the field came into full view, I just stood and stared. Got chills, it was awesome. Our job was mostly just making the hot dogs, which were done ahead of time during each half, so we got to see most of the games.

Like many have said here, we're not just fans,....The Bills become part of you.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

When Josh threw the TD pass to Kroft, I jumped off the couch and yelled "MY FAITH HAS BEEN REWARDED!"

So yeah, I'm glad I stuck with it. There was a point in Tuhrod's second season where I briefly considered jumping ship. But I'm glad I held out.

While "jumping ship" was never an option - I've been a Bills fan since March 4th, 1990 (the day I was born) and will be until the day I die.

But the Rex years were difficult.... embarrassing. I at least wasn't as open to others about the fact that I was a Bills fan. 

So glad that circus left town!

I have had this nice warm and fuzzy Bills winter coat for at least 15 years. It's my main coat, still holds up very well, almost looks like new from the back, Bills logo still sparkling. Indonesia (!) makes great winter coats... (Yes it was made there, NFL needs all the money it can get right?)

Point is, as it's a winter coat, when I usually start wearing it the Bills are eliminated. So no doubt there is a different feel this year... and I like it!

On 12/16/2019 at 12:11 PM, billsfan89 said:

I don't know how you could look at the Tyrod years and think of jumping ship. Compared to the JP Losman, Fitz, Trent Edwards, and post 2002 first half Bledsoe Tyrod was the best QB of the bunch and had produced a winning record. I get not liking Tyrod but he was far from the bottom of the pack. 

I actually liked Taylor.  Im pretty sure in Baltimore, he would be doing all right.  (Not taking anything from Lamar).  Where he lacked in accuracy, he made up with his legs. And he took us to the playoffs.  That's huge.  Tyrod haters cant deny that.  Who was the qb at that time?  Even if they're biting their teeth, the answer is Tyrod Taylor.

13 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

This was me after the wide right kick.  It's okay for chump little kids to cry for this.  I wouldn't cry if they had a wide left or something.  

For lifelong Bills fans, Lou Saban (60s), Marv Levy (80s-90s) & Son of Bum (1998- 2000) are the Gold Standards of HCs.

As an ex Season Ticket holder, I joined up the first time, during the Kay Stephenson disaster (10-26- .277) ?? But the newness of being one & a Bills fan, was fun, so I didn’t care.

Then, the Glory Years! ??Oh my! Sealed my fan following forever! 

And then... Son of Bum left, because... well that twang and being unable to communicate properly, became an issue. And the Flutie- Johnson debacle in Tennessee!

And then? The number of incompetent stiffs, buffoons and clowns that followed was both humorous and frightening! There was, in order:

1) Gregg Williams (17-31-354)

2) Mularkey (14-18-.438)

3) Dick Moron (24-33-.421)

4) Gailey (16-32-.333)

5) Marrone (15-17-.469)

6) Rex Ryan & his Clown Brother (15-16-.484)

I wish I could point to just ONE “4th. & stupid” decision, during this colossal, disastrous, endless Reign of Error! But there were dozens of course. Early on, Bills punting from the 38 with 6 minutes to go, down 2 scores!! These were ALL horrible choices, afraid if their own shadows and concerned with losing by more, rather than winning! 

I talked to someone, at a winery the other day, who gave up his Season Tix during the same Dick Moron era that I cashed in finally. By then, I spent my Sunday afternoons at the Stadium, screaming at the inept performance of the Home team, as ALL my fellow Season Tix holders in my section- were! When the high point of an NFL game, is the tailgate, it’s time to go!

NOT to no longer being a fan- ever! But simply, not financially rewarding a clueless franchise until it gets it right again. And that’s the beauty. If you were a Bills fan in the Glory Years, hell even in the heydays of the Saban era- you know greatness! And, if you watched miserable buffoonery from the list above and others, you are able to properly calibrate your response! 

So today, I am encouraged again. McD seems like a REAL HC again and his GM, has begun to amass a strong, maybe a very strong Playoff and SB contender.

Moral? NEVER get fooled again and call them, as we see them- criticizing stupidity, but applauding wisdom and top performance.

Go Bills Again!

(And kick the Cheatriots to the curb, manana!)