Any other Long Suffering Bills fans just feel great about sticking with the team?

billsfan89

Bills fan since the 70's.  Still get nervous anxiety in the close games so much that I set myself up to expect a loss.  It's been great to watch them this season. ?

Edited by Fires
Misspelled words
  • Like (+1) 1

I have been a bills fan since I was born late 68'

I got my oj jersy when I was 4. Grew up in marilla ny we had more cattle than people. In the summer you diff know you were in the country. Saw fergy thru interception when playing the Bengals and it knocked us out of making the playoffs, dad said the bookies made there money on the game.

Watched first super bowl with teammates on the swim team at rit. I was the only bills fan of the 30 other people. Everyone laughed at me at the end of the game. Got tickets to the Washington sb all the people around us after the middle of the second quarter felt bad and started buying us drinks they felt so bad for us. Rochester is diff not a totally bills town for sure. People always said your crazy for being a bills fan. Most of my friends that were fans would not adit it. The bills are in my blood.

Been a Bills fan since the 1960s. There were some hard moments, but I never abandoned them. It just feels like part of my identity at this point.

It's a pleasure to see them play well, and not just that, to feel that they have turned a corner and are on an upward path. I remember feelign this way in the late 1980s as the Marv Levy Bills became a juggernaut. 

I was not impressed with McDermott and Beane when it seemed they were determined to get rid of every good player on the team, but I was wrong and I'm happy to admit it. 

Having been a fan for just under half a century, I've experience tough times before the last 2 decades, and I also experienced the golden years of Kelly and company.  It feels great right now, and it also feels real.We're not being teased only to wake up one day to find this was all a sham and the Bills are ready to disappoint again.  They actually look like they are set up to have a multi year run of playoff caliber football.

54 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Was born a Bills fan and never considered jumping ship.

They could be 0-16 every year and I would still watch every game.

But yes it’s very nice to get rewarded and finally see a good Bills team

I can't fathom jumping off a team you have been a diehard fan of as an adult. However I can understand having apathy over a team that has horrid ownership. It is one thing if the team isn't cheap and tries to get the right people in there but they just can't put it together consistently. But if you have a cheap owner who isn't interested in building a consistent winner you could easily get discouraged at following your team because they are at such a self imposed disadvantage. 

In the Chan years I really just started to accept that the Bills were never going to win more than 8 games in a season and that when Ralph died the team would move. I would still watch the games and root for them hard but my expectations were always low even that one year when they got off to a 5-2 start I just felt the bottom falling out. Ralph was cheap in his later years not just with cash to cap (although that is a big hinderance) but with the outside investments into facilities, staff and such. 

But then Pegula came in and 2014 the team had that elite defense and it looked like with a new owner willing to spend they could add talent to a talented roster and build the infrastructure needed to compete. The Rex years were up and down but they did restore my faith in the team because I felt like it was only a matter of time before they could find the right coach and get the talent around the coach. Well they found McBeane right after the Rex years and so far it has been a good run. 

So while I never condone jumping ship (unless ownership is completely disrespectful to fans) I get apathy towards a team if the owner doesn't seem to care to win. 

I’ve never considered not being a Bills. At heart, I’ll always be an upstate New Yorker. The Bills are upstates team, I gotta pull for them.

That said, I remember some idiot that used to post on here, saying he stopped rooting for the Bills and became a Steelers fan. He’d say how much more enjoyable it was pulling for them, a winner. Man, I hope he cried seeing the Bills  beat the Steelers last night. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You started in 2001?  Not sure that qualifies as long suffering! 

My fandom goes back to the 1970s, but no, I don't feel great about sticking with the team! 

That suggests switching teams or abandoning the Bills was some type of option, and I have never thought of it that way, nor could I.

I'm a Bills fan until I'm dead, in good times and bad.

DITTO in all respects. Concur 100%   Having gone through the 70’s 80’s and 90’s with the team during all those extreme highs and lows made me a true bills diehard. I think I can even pinpoint a game for me personally that sealed the deal. It was on Monday night football in 1973 I believe when Ahmad rashad caught 2 TD passes to beat the raiders and the then Rich stadium went NUTS the scoreboard end zone was vibrating from everyone jumping up and down screaming it  was FANDEMONIUM I’ll never forget it. I imagine there are folks on this board that were there also it clinched it for me and I never looked back

9 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When Josh threw the TD pass to Kroft, I jumped off the couch and yelled "MY FAITH HAS BEEN REWARDED!"

So yeah, I'm glad I stuck with it. There was a point in Tuhrod's second season where I briefly considered jumping ship. But I'm glad I held out.

The second year of Rex is when I almost lost it. I have been watching games in Hawaii at seven a.m. and in Taiwan at one or two a.m. for almost twenty years. I was very close, late at night, deprived of sleep, watching rex's team bumbling about with no discernible bright future.

I admit to almost wanting them to leave at one point so I would be free of basically the last thing in my life over which I have no control that I allow to emotionally manipulate me. 

However, starting in the early 80s Bills games were the one day a week when my father, grandfather, uncles, friends, etc...were all together in the same room. Through the turbulent teenage years, no matter how rough our relationships might have gotten, we always watched the Bills game together. I am 45 now and I will cry like a small child when we finally win the big one.

Edited by billsintaiwan

I was born in 1993. My first game was in 1998. I remember when we were great, I remember when we weren’t great. I love this team so much and was so happy I cried when we broke the drought. I never once thought about switching teams. When we were going through the “we may lose our Buffalo Bills” years I said i’d rather stop watching football than root for another team. 

My family raised me a Bills fan and I will never root for another team so long as I live (unless it benefits us) “Sticking with the team” was the only option I ever had. 

The only thing id change would be that my old man were here to share these good times with us again, Go Bills!!!!!!!!!