'Human Interest' stories in lieu of football

dorquemada

Human interest stories have been a part of prime time football since the beginning of prime time football.  Howard Cosell's job wasn't breaking down blitz packages.

Hard core football fans are a given.  Hell, we'll watch the Bengals play the Giants on a Monday night.  Networks try to create narratives to expand the audience to casual viewers. 

In the early 70s half the audience watched MNF to see if Dandy Don would finally be liquored up enough to punch Howard in the mouth.  And the audience ate it up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Perry Turtle said:

Hard core football fans are a given.  Hell, we'll watch the Bengals play the Giants on a Monday night. 

I agree that certainly used to be the case, but I have to wonder if it still is.

I probably won't watch 10 seconds of MNF tonight because it's become about everything but the game being played on the field. Between the constant commercial breaks, the never-ending officiating conferences, the issues mentioned previously in this thread, etc the NFL game has become boring melodrama. I know I'm a weirdo but I can't be the only football fan who has been mentally checking out over the last few years. I just wonder how many of us there really are.

And I love the Don and Howard example, but neither one of those guys would ever get anywhere near an NFL booth today, They just weren't dull enough.....

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

This is what sports broadcasting has turned into in America. Part commentary, a lot of useless non insightful color commentary and a whole lot of "aww shucks" feel good reality TV style irrelevance. I didn't mind the McD/Tomlin bit or the Edmunds family story bit (both were cool) but the fixation on the Rooneys and their legacy etc was too much. Dan Rooney has been dead 2 years so I'm not sure why they had to keep bringing him up last night. As a friend pointed out to me last night, the sanctimonious portrayal of the Rooneys as the perfect NFL family and the Steelers as a team  that highly values moral character doesn't jive with the whole turning a blind eye to Roethlisberger's off field sexual transgressions ten years ago. But I guess that's all forgotten now.

I agree, plus It went on too long during the game and bleed over a Bills possession, which I found incredibly annoying, seeing how it was/is such an old story