'Human Interest' stories in lieu of football

dorquemada

Was it just me being nervous/crabby, or did it seem like through most of the first 3 quarters that between every play, or at least many of them, that the broadcast veered into a prepared piece about some human interest aspect of the game?  There were some compelling stories in last night's game off the field, but all the same, save that for the pre-game or maybe halftime. It really cut into the game, and took the focus off the action, and there was virtually no discussion of the plays preceding the bits.  Is this how SNF always is?  I don't watch it much, and at this point, wont watch it again unless the Bills are on

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Was it just me being nervous/crabby, or did it seem like through most of the first 3 quarters that between every play, or at least many of them, that the broadcast veered into a prepared piece about some human interest aspect of the game?  There were some compelling stories in last night's game off the field, but all the same, save that for the pre-game or maybe halftime. It really cut into the game, and took the focus off the action, and there was virtually no discussion of the plays preceding the bits.  Is this how SNF always is?  I don't watch it much, and at this point, wont watch it again unless the Bills are on

yeah, unfortunately SNF and MNF have turned into this.  They talk over plays, don't discuss plays or the game, etc.  The stories can be very interesting, and  I agree, save it for halftime, pregame, postgame, a different show, etc.  It does neither the game or the stories justice to be talking over the game with these stories.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

College broadcasts are full of this 

We watch a lot of college football (Mrs Dorquemada is from Alabama and we met in Tuscaloosa) and don't think it's as bad as last night, but maybe I'll pay a little closer attention through the bowl games.

It could be simply that I really can't stand Chris Collinsworth, there, i said it

25 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

In Chris Collinsworth's defense...what else is he qualified to talk about?  Football?  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I truly wish there was an option to just listen to the stadium sounds, just hearing the crowd and officials would be fine by me.

Yeah, they actually did a game like that back in the 80s where the announcers didn't say anything except down and distance.  It was a little weird!  But back then I could put Van Miller on the radio and turn the volume on the TV off.  Maybe as we move towards games being streamed we can get multiple choices for audio feed.  I'd like the Buffalo radio broadcast over anything on TV

9 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

We watch a lot of college football (Mrs Dorquemada is from Alabama and we met in Tuscaloosa) and don't think it's as bad as last night, but maybe I'll pay a little closer attention through the bowl games.

It could be simply that I really can't stand Chris Collinsworth, there, i said it

Bowl games will be worse. Welcome to prime time football. You get a few extra camera angles and a lot of stories for fans that aren’t diehards of either team. It’s how they introduce guys in a national stage instead of a regional broadcast

The baby photos of the Edmunds boys with their dad, William and Mary College clips of Tomlin and McDermott with shots of their college coach at the game is all good.  His McNasty nickname was new to me.  With everyone complaining about Collinsworth's commentary, you seem to be wishing there was more of it.  It was nice seeing my team get the star treatment for the first time in decades.  If things as well as I think they will we are all going to need to get used to it.  This will all become more routine.   

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

It's another of the reasons that the NFL has become soooo hard to watch (at least for me).

When I'm trying to see the field so I know what offensive personnel has come out for a key down, how the defense has deployed, etc. instead I am stuck with a close up of some guys facemask for 30 seconds while somebody else yammers on about what that guy likes on his hot dogs. I don't give a **** whether he likes mustard and onions; I agreed to forego doing something fun and sit on my kiester in this chair for three hours to watch football, not to stare at some guys' nose hairs while a couple goobers discuss the relative merits of condiments.

You can't do or say a single thing more interesting than what's happening on the field (you know, the reason I even turned on the TV in the first place?) so quit blocking the view of the field with celebrity close-ups, somebody's Tweet, a promo for your mindless vapid TV show or whatever other People magazine nonsense that I can find on 100 other channels.

<end curmudgeonly rant>

• Like (+1) 3

This is what sports broadcasting has turned into in America. Part commentary, a lot of useless non insightful color commentary and a whole lot of "aww shucks" feel good reality TV style irrelevance. I didn't mind the McD/Tomlin bit or the Edmunds family story bit (both were cool) but the fixation on the Rooneys and their legacy etc was too much. Dan Rooney has been dead 2 years so I'm not sure why they had to keep bringing him up last night. As a friend pointed out to me last night, the sanctimonious portrayal of the Rooneys as the perfect NFL family and the Steelers as a team  that highly values moral character doesn't jive with the whole turning a blind eye to Roethlisberger's off field sexual transgressions ten years ago. But I guess that's all forgotten now.

We’ve been yelling at the TV about this for years! The broadcasts are spent staring at the coach who’s typically doing nothing more than staring blankly at the field! Or trying to see a guy on the sideline who’s completely surrounded by other players! Or waiting for the sideline camera to autofocus while it’s struggling to see through the thermal waves coming off the space heater!  The coverage is horrible.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

It's another of the reasons that the NFL has become soooo hard to watch (at least for me).

When I'm trying to see the field so I know what offensive personnel has come out for a key down, how the defense has deployed, etc. instead I am stuck with a close up of some guys facemask for 30 seconds while somebody else yammers on about what that guy likes on his hot dogs. I don't give a **** whether he likes mustard and onions; I agreed to forego doing something fun and sit on my kiester in this chair for three hours to watch football, not to stare at some guys' nose hairs while a couple goobers discuss the relative merits of condiments.

You can't do or say a single thing more interesting than what's happening on the field (you know, the reason I even turned on the TV in the first place?) so quit blocking the view of the field with celebrity close-ups, somebody's Tweet, a promo for your mindless vapid TV show or whatever other People magazine nonsense that I can find on 100 other channels.

<end curmudgeonly rant>

I have said it before.,. i grew up listening to Van.. Curt Gowdy.. and of course  one of the best .. "Starr , Dowler  .. Touchdown"  Ray Scott.. Those were the days.. no :"hip hop" pregame show BS.. just a few features on the games.. then the Freakin Game.. 

• Like (+1) 1

That's why I'd much rather watch the game in stadium.  At least I know what is happening.  Last night, they talked about a flag being thrown.  Where was the flag?  In the offensive backfield or defensive backfield?  Just give us a clue instead of a close-up of some obscure player. 

The human interest stories, plus the paid advertising of the military makes broadcasts really hard to watch. The truly awful is when they combine the two. I guess anything else would be unamerican. Guts, god, glory, commercials, hyper-individuality, etc. 

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The baby photos of the Edmunds boys with their dad, William and Mary College clips of Tomlin and McDermott with shots of their college coach at the game is all good.  His McNasty nickname was new to me.  With everyone complaining about Collinsworth's commentary, you seem to be wishing there was more of it.  It was nice seeing my team get the star treatment for the first time in decades.  If things as well as I think they will we are all going to need to get used to it.  This will all become more routine.   

Same on McNasty.

Been thinking about finally dropping Coy from my Forum name and adding Nasty.     Real McNasty

Edit:

Screw it, it's a done deal

Edited by Real McCoy