Rational Thoughts After Playoff Clinching Win

corta765

The page has been turned, the stone has been written on, and peace has been restored. Ladies and gentleman the Bills made the playoffs for the second time in three years and as one of the many who are part of the lost generation (aka drought years) I have peace with a new era and leaving that past behind. Growing up as a child (born 1988) I have very vague memories of the Bills doing well. My first playoff memory was Flutie in 98 losing in Miami. I tried ripping my Dolphin playing cards up I was so mad. Then 99 happened with the music city miracle. I watched religiously the 1990 highlight video its 58 minutes long on VHS at my grandparents and the comeback game which my grandfather recorded on VHS. But again this was a past I like many my age know small pieces of and seem truthfully more legend then reality because I wasn't old enough minus the end to truly live it. 2004 felt forever like the demarcation line as the team truly turned from being relevant and competent in many aspects to a shell of itself which was worse then a national joke of losing SBs because the team didn't matter. The team moving mattered and man did the national media like to bring that up. I was and am an optimist and I never completely believed they would move but I may have been lying knowing how much that would've hurt. I don't need to recap the blunder of the drought, but until 2014 what an awful uncertainty it was and hard way to be a fan. Terry and Kims arrival in 2014 did feel like a new day, going to games became just having fun and cheering your team, not going because you were not sure what the future would give. By the same token the only way to truly reset the dye was winning and playoffs. Simple as that. 2017 was magical for everyone because it was the death of an awful streak that ruined the ability to have fun and be in the dance. That week from clinching against MIA right through JAX was the most fun as a Bills fan I had, but you did wonder where we were headed as it was more luck to be in then skill. 2019 though was slaying the dragon that still existed. You can finally believe that the best days are ahead, that the Bills will get more right then wrong not the opposite, that the idea of Buffalo being a consistent winning team is the norm and acceptable not a dream. The future is not written but the past certainly plays a role in dictating your feelings on what it may be. In 2017 it was tears and jubilation, this is more gratification and a quiet excitement of where we go. To every Bills fan congrats and lets start circling those bigger wagons the next month here!

On to thoughts:

1. Tre White is a national brand. I am so happy for Tre that he finally is getting the credit and exposure that has ignored for far to long. He will be getting a massive contract coming up and he deserves every dollar. Tre just seems like a generally great dude which is really fun to have, but his skills are tremendous. How the Bills managed to let go of the other best CB in football and get his equal who is a happier cheaper version I still will not understand.

2. Shaq Lawson has been superb the last year and half, but Jordan Phillips is the guy I care more about resigning. I actually think the Bills will resign both of them as they have a lot of space and Lawson has matured into a dependable good player and leader. But Phillips really has solidified the middle since coming here and between him, Oliver, and Harrison I love our DT position moving forward. If Phillips does not make the Pro Bowl it will be incredibly unfortunate as he and Tre Day are the two guys from this defense who truly deserve their spots on that team. Adam Gase letting go of Phillips is still mind blowing but it is also the reason the Jets are 5-9.

3. Josh Allen is a true gamer and the confidence he gives in crunch time as pretty cool. For as much as I am a numbers guy the eye test is equally as important with how a player composes himself on the field and as the pressure cooks up. Say what you want about Brady but the guy in his career was terrifying anytime things got tight and I have always respected his ability to not sweat a moment when things got tight. Allen shows a lot of that to me and as the stage has expanded this year he has passed some good size tests whether it was Dallas on Thanksgiving or against PIT on SNF. He has not been perfect either as BAL he was off a bit and the first Pats game seemed too much for him in the 1st half. But the progress is certainly there and as things got more intense he has gotten steadier for the most part. One of the coolest things about making the playoffs is the Bills have a playoff birth with a QB leading them that they drafted and identified. That is a very very important thing that I do not want to undersell.

4. Cole Beasley is either very good or very bad. The last two weeks he has been dreadful with ill time drops and an INT that is on him. People can say the throw could've been better etc... but I go back to where I was last year when Clay dropped Allens pass. It was a good enough pass for an NFL WR/TE to make the catch and they should make it. If you are not confident for the love of god don't go for it because the moment it gets fumbled its getting picked 95% of the time. Beasley started the year decent and then went cold from TEN - WSH getting just 91 yards for 11 catches although he did have 3 TD's. In the 4 game stretch of CLE - DAL  he had 20 catches, 298 yds, and 2 TDs. Now the last two weeks he has just 5 catches for 35 yards a TD and INT. He is vital to this offense being more productive and I do not think it is mistake that the best stretch the offense has had during the MIA-DEN-DAL stretch he was a big part of. Allen seems to avoid him if he makes a mistake early on which I understand a bit but it then hems the offense back. If there is one thing I want from the offense before the playoffs it is to get Beasley more consistently involved and for Cole to get his head together himself and be more dependable.

5. The Bills infuriated me and then made me happy on back to back series. I get last night was a game where conservativeness was fine given the opponent but I hated the goal line series after the Tre INT. After such a big play they played soo scared in my eyes and it felt like they should've just kicked the FG on 1st down instead. Yet literally right afternoon they attack and let Allen uncork it downfield and let him on 3rd down go after Kroft in the endzone. I've gotten to the point I think the coaching staff holds Allen down more then Allen does when it comes to his stats and poor play. I am not disappointed with Daboll I think he has done a nice job moving things along this year. BUT if it worked on the second series why did we not do that on the first round through?

6. My wife and I ended up not being there which was an uber bummer but such is being parents. I was impressed with again how well the Bills fans traveled and was jealous not to be part of the celebration at the end. I stayed up past 1 am watching and listening to anything I could.

7. Micah Hyde to me has taken a small step back this year. He has been responsible for being the safety who has missed a few big plays this year (Hurst BAL, Cooper play against DAL, etc). In no means am I saying he has been bad, but the last two years he was a Pro Bowler in my eyes and rewarded as such. This year I think he has just been decent and missed on a few plays that mattered. Perhaps it is just circumstance with things but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he has a small injury or something. He usually is good for a few turnovers and has been absent with those. Still love Micah though!

8. I want Houston come playoffs. I think that is the best matchup the Bills have coming up. I watched all of the Titans Texans game and our front 7 can beat their offensive line handily. Their secondary is not very good, but they can get pressure. I think Buffalo can win like 20-17 in that game. Given me f*cking Houston.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The page has been turned, the stone has been written on, and peace has been restored. Ladies and gentleman the Bills made the playoffs for the second time in three years and as one of the many who are part of the lost generation (aka drought years) I have peace with a new era and leaving that past behind. Growing up as a child (born 1988) I have very vague memories of the Bills doing well. My first playoff memory was Flutie in 98 losing in Miami. I tried ripping my Dolphin playing cards up I was so mad. Then 99 happened with the music city miracle. I watched religiously the 1990 highlight video its 58 minutes long on VHS at my grandparents and the comeback game which my grandfather recorded on VHS. But again this was a past I like many my age know small pieces of and seem truthfully more legend then reality because I wasn't old enough minus the end to truly live it. 2004 felt forever like the demarcation line as the team truly turned from being relevant and competent in many aspects to a shell of itself which was worse then a national joke of losing SBs because the team didn't matter. The team moving mattered and man did the national media like to bring that up. I was and am an optimist and I never completely believed they would move but I may have been lying knowing how much that would've hurt. I don't need to recap the blunder of the drought, but until 2014 what an awful uncertainty it was and hard way to be a fan. Terry and Kims arrival in 2014 did feel like a new day, going to games became just having fun and cheering your team, not going because you were not sure what the future would give. By the same token the only way to truly reset the dye was winning and playoffs. Simple as that. 2017 was magical for everyone because it was the death of an awful streak that ruined the ability to have fun and be in the dance. That week from clinching against MIA right through JAX was the most fun as a Bills fan I had, but you did wonder where we were headed as it was more luck to be in then skill. 2019 though was slaying the dragon that still existed. You can finally believe that the best days are ahead, that the Bills will get more right then wrong not the opposite, that the idea of Buffalo being a consistent winning team is the norm and acceptable not a dream. The future is not written but the past certainly plays a role in dictating your feelings on what I may be. In 2017 it was tears and jubilation, this is more gratification and a quiet excitement of where we go. To every Bills fan congrats and lets start circling those bigger wagons the next month here!

On to thoughts:

1. Tre White is a national brand. I am so happy for Tre that he finally is getting the credit and exposure that has ignored for far to long. He will be getting a massive contract coming up and he deserves every dollar. Tre just seems like a generally great dude which is really fun to have, but his skills are tremendous. How the Bills managed to let go of the other best CB in football and get his equal who is a happier cheaper version I still will not understand.

2. Shaq Lawson has been superb the last year and half, but Jordan Phillips is the guy I care more about resigning. I actually think the Bills will resign both of them as they have a lot of space and Lawson has matured into a dependable good player and leader. But Phillips really has solidified the middle since coming here and between him, Oliver, and Harrison I love our DT position moving forward. If Phillips does not make the Pro Bowl it will be incredibly unfortunate as he and Tre Day are the two guys from this defense who truly deserve their spots on that team. Adam Gase letting go of Phillips is still mind blowing but it is also the reason the Jets are 5-9.

3. Josh Allen is a true gamer and the confidence he gives in crunch time as pretty cool. For as much as I am a numbers guy the eye test is equally as important with how a player composes himself on the field and as the pressure cooks up. Say what you want about Brady but the guy in his career was terrifying anytime things got tight and I have always respected his ability to not sweat a moment when things got tight. Allen shows a lot of that to me and as the stage has expanded this year he has passed some good size tests whether it was Dallas on Thanksgiving or against PIT on SNF. He has not been perfect either as BAL he was off a bit and the first Pats game seemed too much for him in the 1st half. But the progress is certainly there and as things got more intense he has gotten steadier for the most part. One of the coolest things about making the playoffs is the Bills have a playoff birth with a QB leading them that they drafted and identified. That is a very very important thing that I do not want to undersell.

4. Cole Beasley is either very good or very bad. The last two weeks he has been dreadful with ill time drops and an INT that is on him. People can say the throw could've been better etc... but I go back to where I was last year when Clay dropped Allens pass. It was a good enough pass for an NFL WR/TE to make the catch and they should make it. If you are not confident for the love of god don't go for it because the moment it gets fumbled its getting picked 95% of the time. Beasley started the year decent and then went cold from TEN - WSH getting just 91 yards for 11 catches although he did have 3 TD's. In the 4 game stretch of CLE - DAL  he had 20 catches, 298 yds, and 2 TDs. Now the last two weeks he has just 5 catches for 35 yards a TD and INT. He is vital to this offense being more productive and I do not think it is mistake that the best stretch the offense has had during the MIA-DEN-DAL stretch he was a big part of. Allen seems to avoid him if he makes a mistake early on which I understand a bit but it then hems the offense back. If there is one thing I want from the offense before the playoffs it is to get Beasley more consistently involved and for Cole to get his head together himself and be more dependable.

6. The Bills infuriated me and then made me happy on back to back series. I get last night was a game where conservativeness was fine given the opponent but I hated the goal line series after the Tre INT. After such a big play they played soo scared in my eyes and it felt like they should've just kicked the FG on 1st down instead. Yet literally right afternoon they attack and let Allen uncork it downfield and let him on 3rd down go after Kroft in the endzone. I've gotten to the point I think the coaching staff holds Allen down more then Allen does when it comes to his stats and poor play. I am not disappointed with Daboll I think he has done a nice job moving things along this year. BUT if it worked on the second series why did we not do that on the first round through?

7. My wife and I ended up not being there which was an uber bummer but such is being parents. I was impressed with again how well the Bills fans traveled and was jealous not to be part of the celebration at the end. I stayed up past 1 am watching and listening to anything I could.

8. Micah Hyde to me has taken a small step back this year. He has been responsible for being the safety who has missed a few big plays this year (Hurst BAL, Cooper play against DAL, etc). In no means am I saying he has been bad, but the last two years he was a Pro Bowler in my eyes and rewarded as such. This year I think he has just been decent and missed on a few plays that mattered. Perhaps it is just circumstance with things but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he has a small injury or something. He usually is good for a few turnovers and has been absent with those. Still love Micah though!

9. I want Houston come playoffs. I think that is the best matchup the Bills have coming up. I watched all of the Titans Texans game and our front 7 can beat their offensive line handily. Their secondary is not very good, but they can get pressure. I think Buffalo can win like 20-17 in that game. Given me f*cking Houston.

I think the hurst one was on Poyer.  The one in this game i think wallace may have screwed up as he wasn't covering anyone underneath in quarters and the pass was completed in his quarter.  

• Like (+1) 1

Nice write up as always.

like other mentioned, that was on Poyer, not Hyde.  I feel yesterday was the only time this year I remember thinking “dam, Hyde just got beat” 

our entire secondary is on another level. McDermott is a DB grooming god

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think the hurst one was on Poyer.  The one in this game i think wallace may have screwed up as he wasn't covering anyone underneath in quarters and the pass was completed in his quarter.  

My bad. I guess just in general I think Hyde has been slightly below what we have seen. Like I said still love the dude and trust him but also wouldn't be surprised if he has a ding on him.

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The 5th was the most compelling

Dang it you found the special prize! Virgil where's your write up, have you been too busy celebrating and breaking tables? :)

• Haha (+1) 2

I agree with them all, including Hyde. Lawson, I'm only wary as maybe he is finally giving his all to get that new contract but will sit on it after he gets it. Phillips loves to  be here and it shows.

One of the coolest things about making the playoffs is the Bills have a playoff birth with a QB leading them that they drafted and identified. That is a very very important thing that I do not want to undersell.

True! Nice point

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was clear there was some miscommunication between Hyde and Poyer.

I agree with you. Bills were in a single high safety look with Hyde playing center field.  In that alignment, his job was to keep everything in front of him.  That obviously didn't happen as Hurst got behind everyone.

28 minutes ago, corta765 said:

My bad. I guess just in general I think Hyde has been slightly below what we have seen. Like I said still love the dude and trust him but also wouldn't be surprised if he has a ding on him.

Dang it you found the special prize! Virgil where's your write up, have you been too busy celebrating and breaking tables? :)

Got home from the game at 4:30am them found out at 7am that it’s a snow day for the kids.  I’m exhausted and am going to put it out this evening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you. Bills were in a single high safety look with Hyde playing center field.  In that alignment, his job was to keep everything in front of him.  That obviously didn't happen as Hurst got behind everyone.

Right? That's what I thought because they typically send Poyer down a lot to help with the run or just hit people in general haha

1st 10 win season this century.  Is anybody else getting sick in tired every time I watch a bills game they come up with some BS stats this was the newest one last night they are always trying to make Buffalo look bad what is their problem

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALLEN1QB said:

1st 10 win season this century.  Is anybody else getting sick in tired every time I watch a bills game they come up with some BS stats this was the newest one last night they are always trying to make Buffalo look bad what is their problem

Meh, no big deal to me. I'm just proud of this team. Not worried about the past bad teams and what the media says about how long it's been etc etc. That's just me though.

28 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Quick question......who else was a little taken back at DiMarco being sent out wide on numerous occasions last night lol?

Me!  Me!  Pick Me!

I am happy.  I am beyond happy.  I couldn't get to sleep until the wee hours I was so happy.  I was playing the Shout! song and jumping up and down.

I also think we left a lot on the field, and some of the play calling was inexplicable to me.  Daboll having an attack of the "cutsies" again.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Me!  Me!  Pick Me!

I am happy.  I am beyond happy.  I couldn't get to sleep until the wee hours I was so happy.  I was playing the Shout! song and jumping up and down.

I also think we left a lot on the field, and some of the play calling was inexplicable to me.  Daboll having an attack of the "cutsies" again.

I kept saying to myself........."why do they keep sending DiMarco out wide for". A few play calls were definitely questionable but glad it all worked out at the end.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

17 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

The commentators last night were IMO sad.  Beyond bad, just sad.

The worst part was at the end when I guess (Collinsworth?) was trying to be complimentary to McDermott.  He said something like "and you just have to wonder, how sweet this is for Sean McDermott, who had to line up across from Mike Tomlin all those days, knowing he was the lesser athlete, knowing he didn't have great opportunities to win those battles, and yet here tonight, to go to the playoffs, (flat tone) he won it"

To do whoever that was justice (Collinsworth?), I don't think he could have found something more of a put-down disguised as a compliment to say about our coach if he thought it out with both hands all weekend.  No way McDermott walked on and won a starting slot and a scholarship (and Tomlin's respect - "I wanted no part of him") if he had any such weak-ass wimp thoughts in his mind at the time, much less carried them down the years. 

I do think those days formed McDermott's conviction that he can win with lesser guys if he has confidence in their abilities to succeed and is consistent in coaching their fundamentals to be better, because that was the path he followed himself.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1