Dear Devin Singletary: PLEASE don't become fumble prone!

StHustle

Now that first fumble forced by Watt, I can't even blame the guy. Watt punched that ball so hard with such pin point accuracy, I'm not sure how many players in the league dont fumble it.

But overall the numbers arent good. In college there were no red flags. He had 5 fumbles over his 3 year career which included 778 touches (1 fumble per about 156 touches). THIS YEAR?

4 fumbles with just 164 touches for an alarming rate of 1 fumble per 41 touches. This guy has AMAZING potential to be a top 5 back in this league for years to come but MUST get that together and quickly. I'm sure the coaches are on top of this. Just something to keep an eye on moving forward. I want the guy to get 25-30 touches per game but at this rate he would fumble 2 times every 3 games.

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I have to say I have never seen a team attack the ball like Pittsburgh did last night, it was amazing to watch, but frightening at the same time. He needs to get better as we can see Gore has nothing left in the tank. I hope he figures it out....

I agree, they are awesome at taking the ball away, it’s like an art. Something we can take from that game on our offense and defense. Protect the ball more and go after the ball more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I have to say I have never seen a team attack the ball like Pittsburgh did last night, it was amazing to watch, but frightening at the same time. He needs to get better as we can see Gore has nothing left in the tank. I hope he figures it out....

I think the one Watt attempted on Josh that just barely missed was even more "vicious."  A direct hit on the ball with that punch move is going to dislodge it the majority of the time.

It was a good thing he lost the ball last night. Gets to see himself on film and the mistakes and make adjustments. They were after the ball all night everyone knew they were going to get to it at some point. Watt is playing at a mvp level I expected him to make some huge plays. And as much as we dog on Ford he help up quite nice I thought against Watt. 
Singletary will be alright. I’m sure in film study they will be preaching ball security and sometimes just go forward you can’t juke everyone every play. 

For sure needs to tighten that part of his game up. That will be the only thing standing between him and a top back for years to come. I think he can get better at it. I wonder if this was something that was happening in Training camp and practice early in the year. Might of been another contributing factor for why Gore was getting more touches to begin with.

6 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I think the one Watt attempted on Josh that just barely missed was even more "vicious."  A direct hit on the ball with that punch move is going to dislodge it the majority of the time.

That was so close to a solid punch to man land. 

21 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I don't know too many players that could avoid a couple of those that were punched out from behind. hell of a defensive play I'd say. as for concern going forward, I'm not, he'll be fine.

Agreed.

Be nice if people would not over react from one game.  Every week there is some over reaction to something that happened in one game as if it’s chronic, been happening all year, etc.  

Let’s not panic over some big defensive plays by a great defense as if it’s now a chronic issue for Singletary.  

• Thank you (+1) 1