Possible game altering bad call on Milano.

gjv001

What I couldn't Billieve was there was no conference among the officials on the Edmunds phantom penalty.

They usually get together and discuss these things.

What I really liked was #49's composure and at 21 or 22 years old he just took the call and didn't embarrass himself or the team.

4 minutes ago, jhh9327 said:

If that punch hits Allen's wrist, he's probably done for the year.  In a league moving towards more and more player safety, that is not a safe play with that type of windup. 

It's not against the rules at all. He was clearly going for the ball. Football is a rough, violent sport.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

milano was a flagrant face mask. deserved

edmunds was a very slight touch/glance. should not have been called.

I don't believe Edmunds' fingers even touched the facemask at all. His hand was up on the chest for a moment, but didn't touch the facemask.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's not against the rules at all. He was clearly going for the ball. Football is a rough, violent sport.

Didn't say it was against the rules.  Was saying why the league could easily determine it should be.  It was a dangerous, though legal, play. 

1 minute ago, jhh9327 said:

Didn't say it was against the rules.  Was saying why the league could easily determine it should be.  It was a dangerous, though legal, play. 

And that, my friend, is the entire game of football.

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

And that, my friend, is the entire game of football.

Football and its rules are an evolving game if the last decade has shown anything.  I think is something the league should look at and consider adjusting the rules on.  You don't.  Both opinions are fine.  

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

You mean the one where he had a hold of Conner's facemask and about ripped his damn head off? In what world was that NOT a penalty? If you think that wasn't a penalty, then you're being a homer, not being realistic.

We got called for a face mask earlier that was clearly not a facemask. Not sure if it was on Milano but there was was a phantom face mask call against the Bills. There was one though that was real and committed by Milano.

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I would have thought another referee would have been watching the tackle made by Milano, and seen that there wasn't a facemask penalty. 

You must be thinking about the horse manure call against Edmunds that wasn't even close to anything to throw a flag over.  Milano was definitely a facemask.  Don't know what the hell Milano was thinking on that play.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

You must be thinking about the horse manure call against Edmunds that wasn't even close to anything to throw a flag over.  Milano was definitely a facemask.  Don't know what the hell Milano was thinking on that play.

He wasn't thinking,  he was balling.  It happens when you're playing hard. 

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

Agree. Milano was a totally legit call, and Edmonds was horrible.

One of the things I think needs to start getting some consideration is the gross attempts to punch the ball out and trigger a fumble.

The Watt attempt on Josh at the end of the game was not a football move.

It was a right hook aimed at his midsection.

Any other play it's a personal foul and disqualification.

I think it's time they reeled this stuff in.

100% agree...he literally punched him in the midsection.  

It was a non-whistle that upset me more than the phantom fask mask on Edmunds. In the second quarter, the Bills had a third and 8 from their 20. The Steeler's linebacker is Offside and unabated to the QB. He hits Allen, another defender hits Allen as well, and the referee watches as they drive him into the ground before he blows the whistle...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

This was penalty all the hand has to do is touch the facemask I had not problem with this penalty the one early vs Edmunds and then they revised to say Johnson was a joke.

Not true.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 5 of the NFL Rule Book (page 81) states that "no player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction."

The Rule Book describes the penalty as follows:

"Penalty: For twisting, turning or pulling the mask: loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be of a flagrant nature."

The Rule Book describes an approved ruling as it relates to facemask penalties (page 81).

"A.R. 12.12 - Third-and-10 on A30. Runner A1 runs to the A33, where he is tackled by B1, who incidentally grasps A1's facemask on the tackle, but it is not a twist, turn or pull. Ruling: A's ball, fourth-and-seven, on A33. No foul."

Prior to the 2008 season, a rule change was approved that eliminated the foul for the incidental grasp of the facemask.

*edit*

I should also highlight that it specifies a GRASP of the facemask, not merely contact with it.  It's like the roughing the passer penalty re: contact to the head where it has to be FORCEFUL contact.  That's the problem with these subjective but unreviewable penalties.

4 hours ago, TPS said:

As I mentioned in another thread, there was an obvious hands to the face by a Bills D man on Duck's last duck int that wasn't called. Usually, these things even out...

I thought it was his third (second last) INT, I saw a clear as day double hands to the face on that one.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

It was a non-whistle that upset me more than the phantom fask mask on Edmunds. In the second quarter, the Bills had a third and 8 from their 20. The Steeler's linebacker is Offside and unabated to the QB. He hits Allen, another defender hits Allen as well, and the referee watches as they drive him into the ground before he blows the whistle...

Yeah I was screaming "Unabated, UNABATED!  Unnecessary roughness!" at the TV.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sherpa said:

Agree. Milano was a totally legit call, and Edmonds was horrible.

One of the things I think needs to start getting some consideration is the gross attempts to punch the ball out and trigger a fumble.

The Watt attempt on Josh at the end of the game was not a football move.

It was a right hook aimed at his midsection.

Any other play it's a personal foul and disqualification.

I think it's time they reeled this stuff in.

The official can’t judge intent, if a player takes a haymaker like Watt did, and it missed the ball (as it did) and hits the player, it should be a personal foul at least, and even ejection because of the nature of the infraction.

Again, they can’t judge intent, but they can judge the result, which was a pretty violent punch to the chest.

Edited by CSBill

10 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

...the one where the nearly twisted Conner's face off? Definitely a flag 

Edit: seems like a misunderstanding where OP is mentioning the laughable call on Edmunds right before their red zone fumble; definitely lolworthy

It’s obvious based on context that the OP means the phantom call on edmunds/johnson