Possible game altering bad call on Milano.

gjv001

43 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I would have thought another referee would have been watching the tackle made by Milano, and seen that there wasn't a facemask penalty. 

If Milano played for NE that would have happened.

Edit: I mixed this up with the Edmunds play.  Milano's was a face mask and even if he played for NE there is a chance it would have still been called.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

There is no reason facemask can't be reviewed.  It's not a judgment call whatsoever.

I was actually waiting for a challenge flag (Edmunds not Milano). I suppose you can't. 

It would have been "fun" to see it from the ref's angle as it was not even close but humans make mistake. That's what the other refs (?) and reviews are for...

57 minutes ago, TPS said:

As I mentioned in another thread, there was an obvious hands to the face by a Bills D man on Duck's last duck int that wasn't called. Usually, these things even out...

Yeah i saw that too. I think it was Edmunds blitzing up the middle. Whomever it was bent the Steelers linemen's head back quite a bit

I said it in post-game thread already - I think the refs were very good yesterday. Edmunds FM was brutal, but you don't make calls like this if you are trying to help some team - it was just a brutal mistake. Other than that, they called pretty good game. There were times they could have call offside against us and correctly called false start against Steelers. Somewhere near the end they definitely could have called some DPI against us, and there was also some out of bounce finish by our player which I thought would be flagged but it never happened. , I think they called pretty straight game, a generally they didn't help them at all - not even usual 5% to home team or bigger market team.

Watt punch is interesting though. I've never seen punch like this being penalized, and I have no clue - could it be against league's current rules?

• Like (+1) 1

The only call that really pissed me off was the holding penalty on the 3rd down of the very last BILLS' drive.  I didn't see a hold but after you allowed the two offensive lines to yoke guys all game, you call one in THAT situation?  That cost the BILLS' 40 seconds of clock and gave the Steelers a chance to win the game.  Total BS.

We are extremely lucky that on Pitts first fourth down play edmunds two hands were all up in the face mask of the OL should have been a penalty and could of cost us the game. Lucky for us the refs let them play. In years past we get that called on us but I believe the narrative and perception about this team has changed. Good teams get those no calls all the time. See patriots games the last twenty years for evidence. 

1 hour ago, Talley56 said:

Not to get completely off topic but our last run play before the Steelers’ last drive the Bills were called for a holding penalty but it got declined.  The clock stopped due to the holding, giving the Steelers more time on their last drive, but since the penalty was declined I would have thought the clock would have kept rolling as if the penalty didn’t happen because, since it was declined, it kind of really did never happen.  I may be wrong and I can try to look the rule up but anyone know off the top of their head?

That was actually the most upsetting ref call of the game.  The flag was thrown after the back was already down and was probably the fishiest call of all of them.  It felt as if it were thrown exactly for the purpose of giving the steelers an extra TO and a better chance to tie the game up.

32 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I said it in post-game thread already - I think the refs were very good yesterday. Edmunds FM was brutal, but you don't make calls like this if you are trying to help some team - it was just a brutal mistake. Other than that, they called pretty good game. There were times they could have call offside against us and correctly called false start against Steelers. Somewhere near the end they definitely could have called some DPI against us, and there was also some out of bounce finish by our player which I thought would be flagged but it never happened. , I think they called pretty straight game, a generally they didn't help them at all - not even usual 5% to home team or bigger market team.

Watt punch is interesting though. I've never seen punch like this being penalized, and I have no clue - could it be against league's current rules?

Idk and frankly i def don’t think it should be a penalty. He was clearly trying to punch the football out, and hes awesome at doing it, he just missed there. That kid is awesome, I’d love to have him on this team making those sort of plays.

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

I would have thought another referee would have been watching the tackle made by Milano, and seen that there wasn't a facemask penalty. 

The one called on Edmunds was a total wife i don't know what that ref was seeing but he wasn't looking at those involved in that play that was pretty apparent !! 

the edmunds face mask call was bogus. the one thing different about this team then that of bills teams of the past is this team doesn't get rattled by bad calls. the bad calls would of caused the past bills to fold but this team overcomes it.

just as those complaining how bad the offense was. it's easy to say that for those that like to pick a game apart but the bottom line is JA did enough in the 4th qtr to get the win and put this team in to the post season and they did it with no help, they earned it!

in the past if they were even close or in the hunt they always had to depend other teams to win or lose to get in. see andy dalton.

no, this team has grit and no bad call is going to keep them from reaching their goal. and that is to win football games.

6 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Idk and frankly i def don’t think it should be a penalty. He was clearly trying to punch the football out, and hes awesome at doing it, he just missed there. That kid is awesome, I’d love to have him on this team making those sort of plays.

I think it should be a penalty if you miss the ball and contact the player instead.   If you misjudge a tackle and hit a head, it's a penalty.  Doesn't matter that you meant to hit another body part.  Same thing on punching.  If you are going to allow those types of punches, then sure no penalty if you execute it correctly and just hit the ball.  But hit the offensive player at all and you should get flagged.  That was a severe punch.  Watt could have really and easily injured Allen with that. 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

One of the things I think needs to start getting some consideration is the gross attempts to punch the ball out and trigger a fumble.

The Watt attempt on Josh at the end of the game was not a football move.

It was a right hook aimed at his midsection.

Any other play it's a personal foul and disqualification.

I think it's time they reeled this stuff in.

Uh. I want our defenders to start doing that as often as possible. Watt was a centimeter away from making good contact with the football and that would have been a sure fumble.

Getting a punch from a defenders while wearing pads and a flak jacket is not a big deal. It was a smart play by him. I have no idea why everyone is taking exception to it.

BTW a hit from a defenders shoulder at full speed is 10 times the force of a punch...

6 minutes ago, ogham26 said:

Milano nearly ripped his head off ? definitely a penalty.

Yeah, it was borderline fine worthy.

4 minutes ago, jhh9327 said:

I think it should be a penalty if you miss the ball and contact the player instead.   If you misjudge a tackle and hit a head, it's a penalty.  Doesn't matter that you meant to hit another body part.  Same thing on punching.  If you are going to allow those types of punches, then sure no penalty if you execute it correctly and just hit the ball.  But hit the offensive player at all and you should get flagged.  That was a severe punch.  Watt could have really and easily injured Allen with that. 

I understand what you’re saying, I just disagree because the league is getting so watered down with contact penalties. I want these guys to be able to play aggressive and not worry about penalties every play, which they probably already do. The structure and rule book are geared toward the success of the offense, I don’t want more things being called, and I wouldn’t want that call going against us in a tight game.

Assuming we are talking about the call on Edmunds, the announcers said (after some time) it was actually another player who was flagged. I believe they said it was Wallace. Either way it was completely bogus. Officials should get some punishment for blowing calls that badly.

One other call (well non call) I questioned was the non- call when Watt (I think) wacked Josh on the helmet. 

But a decently officiated game in general, IMO. This season it's about the best you can hope for.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Getting a punch from a defenders while wearing pads and a flak jacket is not a big deal. It was a smart play by him. I have no idea why everyone is taking exception to it.

If that punch hits Allen's wrist, he's probably done for the year.  In a league moving towards more and more player safety, that is not a safe play with that type of windup.