The Bills beat a good team. Good and Bad From The Game

BuffBills51

The Bills did exactly what they needed to do last night. Win ugly. The Steelers had won 8 out of their last 10 games and had the crowd behind them. In the last 20 years the Bills teams would crumble under the national stage but not this team they came through in the end even though throughout the game I’m sure many including myself saw the game as a repeat of years past and thought for sure the old Bills would show up and find a way to lose. The Bills are back in the playoffs for the second time in three years and I don’t think any team wants to face them as long as the defense keeps playing the way it has been. 

The Good:

John Brown - he came up with several big catches including the 40 yarder to set up the go ahead score. Steelers have one of the best secondaries in the league and he came through. 

Defense - the entire defense balled out last night. Forcing 5 turnovers and making Duck Hodges look like what he is which is an undrafted rookie. This unit will have to carry the team to make a postseason run. Exciting and fun group to watch. 

Offensive line - Overall against a top unit that likes to blitz the line had a nice bounce back game. They opened up some nice running lanes for Singletary. 

The Good/Bad

Singletary - He has all the tools to be a top back and had several nice runs but hold on to the ball. His second fumble almost gave me a stroke.

Josh Allen - He made some good throws and finally connected on a deep pass which I know we all have been waiting for. However he missed several easy throws and was inaccurate throughout the night. It was a mixed night for him but will need him to be better in the playoffs.  

The Bad

Beasley - Had a big drop on the first drive. It would of been a tough diving catch but one that the player we picked up for key 3rd down chain moving plays needs to make. The interception off his finger tips was a tough play and not all on him but once again hit his hands and he needs to come down with it. After that he for the most part disappeared. Need better out of him going forward. 

Coaching - The saying you play to win the games could not be more true. I am torn on the last 2 minutes of the half as you don’t want to turn the ball over but with 3 timeouts do you give it a shot to get down the field? They went into a 7 minute try to kill the clock offense with 3 consecutive runs called and were to conservative the final quarter. McDermott lacked the killer instinct they need to put teams away. Daboll just needs to go. His play calling is a consistent concern. First and goal from the 10 and he runs off tackle without Gore, attempts a half back pass for a loss and then a draw for a loss. I said at that time that may have been the worst play calling I have ever seen on first and goal. 

Officiating - The phantom holding call at the end of the game on an inside dive gave the Steelers an extra 40 seconds. The face mask on Edmunds is a mind blowing call that the official was out of position to make. I am a firm believer that the NFL should have the ability from New York to overturn the officials calls when they are blatantly wrong. 

Playoffs here we come. Now let’s beat the Pats 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

The Bills did exactly what they needed to do last night. Win ugly. The Steelers had won 8 out of their last 10 games and had the crowd behind them. In the last 20 years the Bills teams would crumble under the national stage but not this team they came through in the end even though throughout the game I’m sure many including myself saw the game as a repeat of years past and thought for sure the old Bills would show up and find a way to lose. The Bills are back in the playoffs for the second time in three years and I don’t think any team wants to face them as long as the defense keeps playing the way it has been. 

The Good:

John Brown - he came up with several big catches including the 40 yarder to set up the go ahead score. Steelers have one of the best secondaries in the league and he came through. 

Defense - the entire defense balled out last night. Forcing 5 turnovers and making Duck Hodges look like what he is which is an undrafted rookie. This unit will have to carry the team to make a postseason run. Exciting and fun group to watch. 

Offensive line - Overall against a top unit that likes to blitz the line had a nice bounce back game. They opened up some nice running lanes for Singletary. 

The Good/Bad

Singletary - He has all the tools to be a top back and had several nice runs but hold on to the ball. His second fumble almost gave me a stroke.

Josh Allen - He made some good throws and finally connected on a deep pass which I know we all have been waiting for. However he missed several easy throws and was inaccurate throughout the night. It was a mixed night for him but will need him to be better in the playoffs.  

The Bad

Beasley - Had a big drop on the first drive. It would of been a tough diving catch but one that the player we picked up for key 3rd down chain moving plays needs to make. The interception off his finger tips was a tough play and not all on him but once again hit his hands and he needs to come down with it. After that he for the most part disappeared. Need better out of him going forward. 

Coaching - The saying you play to win the games could not be more true. I am torn on the last 2 minutes of the half as you don’t want to turn the ball over but with 3 timeouts do you give it a shot to get down the field? They went into a 7 minute try to kill the clock offense with 3 consecutive runs called and were to conservative the final quarter. McDermott lacked the killer instinct they need to put teams away. Daboll just needs to go. His play calling is a consistent concern. First and goal from the 10 and he runs off tackle without Gore, attempts a half back pass for a loss and then a draw for a loss. I said at that time that may have been the worst play calling I have ever seen on first and goal. 

Officiating - The phantom holding call at the end of the game on an inside dive gave the Steelers an extra 40 seconds. The face mask on Edmunds is a mind blowing call that the official was out of position to make. I am a firm believer that the NFL should have the ability from New York to overturn the officials calls when they are blatantly wrong. 

Hate this (bold) - then you get even more phantom calls at the worst time.  For example - the last Int - if you watch Edmunds gets his hands to the face of the Pittsburgh OL.  If the NFL could review - we all would be sitting there celebrating when - whoops he comes a call to overturn the play.

Mistakes happen - let it go and move on.  Give me much less replay and I am happier.  Especially give me less of NFL heads having any say at all - give it to a sanctioned official if you must - at the game, but keep NY and the NFL out of it.

I have no issue with McDermott this game.  The Bills near halftime had 3 time outs, but were at their 10 and had just gotten the ball back on a Turn-over after their turn over.  Take the lead and go into the half - don’t make another mistake like the Philly game that costs you.

I do not understand how the fans that do not get this.  The Philly game, the NYG game, the Bills drive just before this that in Pittsburgh- etc.  The Bills have had a high percentage of turn overs in that situation and it has cost them at least 1 game and without amazing defense the same could have happened in Pittsburgh or against the Giants. 

The end of the game was the right call - the phantom hold ruined everything.  The Steelers should have gotten the ball with about 30 seconds needing 75-80 yards.  Running was the right call - they just cannot hold.

Edited by Rochesterfan

The refs were horrible...like in most games around the league. The phantom holding call was ridiculous. Holding? On a dive play when the team is just trying to run the clock and the opponent has no timeouts? You have to be kidding me! No situational awareness ref! Catch a clue!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Hate this - then you get even more phantom calls at the worst time.  For example - the last Int - if you watch Edmunds gets his hands to the face of the Pittsburgh OL.  If the NFL could review - we all would be sitting there celebrating when - whoops he comes a call to overturn the play.

Mistakes happen - let it go and move on.  Give me much less replay and I am happier.  Especially give me less of NFL heads having any say at all - give it to a sanctioned official if you must - at the game, but keep NY and the NFL out of it.

I have no issue with McDermott this game.  The Bills had 3 time outs, but were at their 10 and had just gotten the ball back on a Turn-over after their turn over.  Take the lead and go into the half - don’t make another mistake like the Philly game that costs you.

I do not understand how the fans that do not get this.  The Philly game, the NYG game, the Bills drive just before this that in Pittsburgh- etc.  The Bills have had a high percentage of turn overs in that situation and it has cost them at least 1 game and without amazing defense the same could have happened in Pittsburgh or against the Giants. 

The end of the game was the right call - the phantom hold ruined everything.  The Steelers should have gotten the ball with about 30 seconds needing 75-80 yards.  Running was the right call - they just cannot hold.

As I said I was torn on the end of the half. Completely understand the reasoning for running out the clock especially inside in your own 20. And agree the last series was the right scripted plays. However the coaching staff can’t go into a conservative game plan with half a quarter to play up by only a score. Fortunately our defense held tough. 

This was the difference between the Browns game and yesterday's game.   With the Steelers driving, we did not let off the pressure and put Duck under duress and came away with those INTs  even when they gave a couple of big plays.  Against the Browns,  the defense played soft and took the pressure of Mayfield and that resulted in a dink-and-dunk offense and a game winning TD. 

The coaches learned from that game and have played confident. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffBills51 said:

The Good:

The Good/Bad

The Bad

I agree with a lot of this but disagree on the coaching point.  Yes the sequence you mentioned was not good and I hated the HB pass.  But when it worked 2 weeks ago in Dallas it was hailed a great play call.   

I think that McDermott was well aware of the fact that Pittsburgh was opportunistic and that Duck Hodges was somewhat overwhelmed.  So while it was conservative, he gambled correctly knowing that the offense would have a good chance at scoring again, and that the D had a good shot of closing the game out.

9 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

McDermott has no killer instinct? Going for it on 4th and 6? 

In my opinion that is not a killer instinct moment. It was 4th and 6 from the 36. Our kicker has struggled this year beyond 50 yards and if you punt you might pin them deep but also risk a touchback which would be a net difference of 16 yards. It was an analytics decision that they didn’t have much to lose if they didn’t get it versus punting. It was the right call at that time. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

People see what they want to see, not what actually is.

I can tell you that a majority of coaches that have a kicker struggling from 50+ yards would of made the same call as McDermott there. The analytics show that it often makes sense to go for it at that field position as you don’t lose much in terms of field position if you don’t get it versus punting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The refs were horrible...like in most games around the league. The phantom holding call was ridiculous. Holding? On a dive play when the team is just trying to run the clock and the opponent has no timeouts? You have to be kidding me! No situational awareness ref! Catch a clue!

What about the facemask call? that wasnt even close to a facemask

4 minutes ago, MassHog said:

What about the facemask call? that wasnt even close to a facemask

I disagree about the 2 drops by Beasley. The first one was a perfect throw, and didn't require any sort of diving effort by him. It hit him square in his hands and he straight dropped it. The 2nd one that resulted in an INT was high, but again, he got his hands on it and should have been able to bring it in. Not a perfect pass, just high. He gets paid to make those catches and needs to do a better job of it to help out our young QB. 

Edited by Calidiehard
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Personally, I believe it was quite intentional to give them the extra 40 seconds on the clock. I'm surprised McDermott didn't blow a gasket last night like he did the week before to be honest. This stuff is really getting old. I understand that we aren't media darlings or a part of the propaganda machine, but at least be square with us. The last 3 we have REALLY played the opponents and the officiating, still with 2 wins to show for it against teams that most people didn't expect us to beat on the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Hate this (bold) - then you get even more phantom calls at the worst time.  For example - the last Int - if you watch Edmunds gets his hands to the face of the Pittsburgh OL.  If the NFL could review - we all would be sitting there celebrating when - whoops he comes a call to overturn the play.

I have no issue with McDermott this game.  The Bills near halftime had 3 time outs, but were at their 10 and had just gotten the ball back on a Turn-over after their turn over.  Take the lead and go into the half - don’t make another mistake like the Philly game that costs you.

I saw that too and was like whew! Thank God they missed that blatant hands in the face!