Did we really try a RB option pass?

Xwnyer

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I

Next play was a delayed handoff to Motor for a loss of 1. Next play was fg. That 3 play sequence sucked. 

Better off running some spread or 3x1 read-option with Allen and Singletary.

Singletary was in time out because he kept putting the ball on the turf. Gore would be an interesting read-option back for Allen in the red zone, but Daboll should have he and Allen practice that first.

On one Allen ran into and checked Gore into next week, and on other tries the subtle fake of moving in sync with the handoff where either Allen keeps it or gives it to Frank, was pretty fugly.

Need to clean that up with Singletary too as I think it is a play this offense could leverage if they can execute it better.

4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Sure looked like it and like a smart veteran who cares more about winning than stats he quickly pulled it down and covered it bracing for the hit.

Way to be Frank that was a good 2 yd loss.

Agree. I've seen this play run a lot this yer over the league and it seems like almost every guy throws it, and it's usually a horrible decision. Frank did the right thing eating it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Right after the big INT return and the first down after we went with a heavy package with first and goal on 8.  First down we try to run Gore wide lose two yards, second down almost the identical play and result but if you look at the replay it almost looked like Gore was thinking about pulling up to throw a pass.  Has Gore ever thrown a pass in his NFL career?  Dabol play calling puzzles Me since to throw out of a run like that the RB needs to go,deeper and not attack the LOS resulting in a loss of yards if he doesn’t throw the ball.  Would have been better to toss it out of bounds if play was blown up than losing critical yards.  We lost 10 yards on that series and had to settle for a FG.

Yep we did

5 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Right after the big INT return and the first down after we went with a heavy package with first and goal on 8.  First down we try to run Gore wide lose two yards, second down almost the identical play and result but if you look at the replay it almost looked like Gore was thinking about pulling up to throw a pass.  Has Gore ever thrown a pass in his NFL career?  Dabol play calling puzzles Me since to throw out of a run like that the RB needs to go,deeper and not attack the LOS resulting in a loss of yards if he doesn’t throw the ball.  Would have been better to toss it out of bounds if play was blown up than losing critical yards.  We lost 10 yards on that series and had to settle for a FG.

Had John Brown ever thrown one before he did to Singletary in Dallas?

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I

Next play was a delayed handoff to Motor for a loss of 1. Next play was fg. That 3 play sequence sucked. 

It was all about the HB option pass.  The draw on 3rd was an attempt to be safe (no sack) and maybe catch them napping.  

BTW, for as much as that goal line sequence didn’t work out so well, the play call on the Kraft TD was brilliant.  3WR left hold one safety, Singletary angle route holds LB, Allen’s eyes hold other safety, Kroft wins and and Allen makes an easy, safe throw in a tight spot with probable pressure.  Just brilliant. 

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It was definitely a pass and the Steelers played it well with the coverage in the end zone.

I have no issue with the calls because they used the first run to set up the halfback pass attempt.  It was a cute play and I prefer that they just man up and make some plays, but sometimes you get an easy score because of tendencies and I think they were taking a shot to mess with their tendencies and it did not work.

Its such a lousy call that close in because coverage are so condensed that close in. Has to happen so quick. Its a narrow window to execute , and even so defenders can adjust to dropped coverages. Terrible call.  I'd rather have my QB throwing in the spot. There's a reason you dont see that often.

Daboll called a very mediocre game.

Once I realized it was a HB option from the replay and Collinsworth's saying so, I felt much better about the play call.  I sat there in disbelief muttering "what the hell are they doing running the same damn play on second--Frank Gore on the outside!?!?" 

I wonder if it would've had a better chance of success if they did it on the first down run?   

The John Brown TD pass changed the entire game on Thankgiving.  It took the wind out of their sails and was the single most important play of our season.

I like Dabolls thought there:  we're well within FG range and can take a small loss on the play for the chance to have them bite on the run play and give us a wide open receiver in the end zone.  

Reasonable risk/reward choice imo