Did we really try a RB option pass?

Xwnyer

Right after the big INT return and the first down after we went with a heavy package with first and goal on 8.  First down we try to run Gore wide lose two yards, second down almost the identical play and result but if you look at the replay it almost looked like Gore was thinking about pulling up to throw a pass.  Has Gore ever thrown a pass in his NFL career?  Dabol play calling puzzles Me since to throw out of a run like that the RB needs to go,deeper and not attack the LOS resulting in a loss of yards if he doesn’t throw the ball.  Would have been better to toss it out of bounds if play was blown up than losing critical yards.  We lost 10 yards on that series and had to settle for a FG.

• Like (+1) 1

the linemen definitely didn't release. Gore appeared to be holding it ready to throw though that wasn't clear. the strange thing was that the only replay i saw had just Beaseley to his side running his route. If that's the play, why run the shortest and hardest guy to be the wr?

Oh and eff that play call. Josh Allen gets no passes and also can't run the ball from first and goal. WTF?

1 minute ago, Fixxxer said:

the spanish commentator thought Gore was definitely passing to Knox on that one. (He was well covered, btw)

Interesting. I thought it was Beas. There was only one replay and it was a bad shot focusing on Gore's hands. 

Edited by Sundancer

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Interesting. I thought it was Beas. There was only one replay and it was a bad shot focusing on Gore's hands. 

There was a replay from behind the LOS that was pretty clear, maybe being a latinamerican broadcast the replay system has different angles.

Collinsworth thought it was a pass too. I am on vacation and the TV doesn’t have rewind here. 
If it was a pass, that was getting to cute to close to the end zone. They did redeem themselves on the next play.

edit, my bad. Got that mixed up with the Kroft TD Drive.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Collinsworth thought it was a pass too. I am on vacation and the TV doesn’t have rewind here. 
If it was a pass, that was getting to cute to close to the end zone. They did redeem themselves on the next play.

I

Next play was a delayed handoff to Motor for a loss of 1. Next play was fg. That 3 play sequence sucked. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

There was a replay from behind the LOS that was pretty clear, maybe being a latinamerican broadcast the replay system has different angles.

same replay on NBC but the focus was on his hands and it didn't clearly show the pattern of WRs or I only looked too late. 

• Like (+1) 1

It was definitely a pass and the Steelers played it well with the coverage in the end zone.

I have no issue with the calls because they used the first run to set up the halfback pass attempt.  It was a cute play and I prefer that they just man up and make some plays, but sometimes you get an easy score because of tendencies and I think they were taking a shot to mess with their tendencies and it did not work.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It was definitely a pass and the Steelers played it well with the coverage in the end zone.

I have no issue with the calls because they used the first run to set up the halfback pass attempt.  It was a cute play and I prefer that they just man up and make some plays, but sometimes you get an easy score because of tendencies and I think they were taking a shot to mess with their tendencies and it did not work.

That entire series really sucked from my view. Gotta go for Juglar after your D makes that play

18 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

That entire series really sucked from my view. Gotta go for Juglar after your D makes that play

That is what they were doing - they showed a run to set-up what could have been a TD.  The Steelers played great defense and did not bite on our tendencies.  

Why was that not going for the jugular?  They played to a known tendency and tried a play off from that - that against a lesser coached defense is a TD.  

Why is it brilliant when teams like Houston and NE try these plays, but for Buffalo - they are not going for the Jugular?

I get wanting to drive it down their throat, but based upon what the Bills were running - go ahead and try it.  Gore being the veteran- saw the coverage and ate it.  At that point the FG was the key - so they ran a draw and made sure to tie the game.

It is not like they just downed the ball in victory formation.  It was a series that did not work, but at least they did not go all “duck” and have Allen try to force it for an Int.  They had a plan and it didn’t work, but also did not cost them.  

• Like (+1) 1

Cute and stupid when we should have been normal and aggressive.  

And the 3rd down RUN.   I don't know that I can ever recall a team playing for a FG, when they already had a FG locked up.  Might as well have kicked it on 3rd down and avoided the risk of injury.  Stoopid series. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Right after the big INT return and the first down after we went with a heavy package with first and goal on 8.  First down we try to run Gore wide lose two yards, second down almost the identical play and result but if you look at the replay it almost looked like Gore was thinking about pulling up to throw a pass.  Has Gore ever thrown a pass in his NFL career?  Dabol play calling puzzles Me since to throw out of a run like that the RB needs to go,deeper and not attack the LOS resulting in a loss of yards if he doesn’t throw the ball.  Would have been better to toss it out of bounds if play was blown up than losing critical yards.  We lost 10 yards on that series and had to settle for a FG.

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Cute and stupid when we should have been normal and aggressive.  

And the 3rd down RUN.   I don't know that I can ever recall a team playing for a FG, when they already had a FG locked up.  Might as well have kicked it on 3rd down and avoided the risk of injury.  Stoopid series. 

Did you guys see the Cowboys game?