A brief history of "Renegade" and the Steelers

McDermott is such a damn good coach. The way he prepares this team is miles ahead of what we've had in a long time. 

“We finally heard our song!” Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes said. “And when you get to hear it, with all the Terrible Towels waving and the fans going crazy, it had us fired up. We said, ‘If this is a playoff atmosphere, we’re ready for it.’ ”

The moment delivered a thunderbolt thrust in Buffalo’s 17-10, playoff-clinching victory.

Unlikely a coincidence, the first play after Pittsburgh’s anticipated hype video, Josh Allen fired a pass to John Brown up the left sideline. Brown outmaneuvered cornerback Steven Nelson despite interference and came down with a 40-yard gain to Pittsburgh’s 30.

Allen went to Brown in the end zone on the next play. That ball fell incomplete, but Buffalo clearly was the bloodthirsty team.

“Not a coincidence,” Phillips said. “We knew exactly what we were going to do when we heard that song.

“That’s their thing, and we said that once we heard it we were going to expose ’em.”

The drive took just six plays and barely two minutes. Allen spotted tight end Tyler Kroft 14 yards away in the end zone for what would be the winning touchdown.

Buffalo’s cocksure attitude has been present all season, but its audaciousness grows by the week.

https://theathletic.com/1463729/2019/12/16/what-the-cameras-didnt-show-bills-came-prepared-to-own-the-steelers-hype-anthem/

I just wish there was some video footage of the Bills sideline. I'd love to see that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Nothing like a bunch of appalachian inbreds getting hyped up to a 40 year old song.

Good times.

:lol:

Exactly. When I heard about that song, I was like, huh. So dirtbags like dirtbag music. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. 

29 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

McDermott is such a damn good coach. The way he prepares this team is miles ahead of what we've had in a long time. 

https://theathletic.com/1463729/2019/12/16/what-the-cameras-didnt-show-bills-came-prepared-to-own-the-steelers-hype-anthem/

I just wish there was some video footage of the Bills sideline. I'd love to see that.

You can kinda see the action on the Bills sideline. Sad that the video cuts off right before the big shot to Brown..

• Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

You can kinda see the action on the Bills sideline. Sad that the video cuts off right before the big shot to Brown..

man I love how mentally strong this team is.  Past bills teams would have folded.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I can SO get behind this kind of stuff. While some of you like to hand the ball to the ref and act like you’ve been there, I like to dance on their grave. This team has “it.” 

On a side note if we are adopting any tradition (which I’m against 99.9999% of the time) I want “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from Anfield. There isn’t a tradition, in all of sports, that fits the way that would fit us. It is absolutely perfect. Can you imagine this scene right before the opening kickoff in Orchard Park?!? 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

You are right.  I'm thinking of Damn Yankees.  Blades was in Night Ranger and Damn Yankess and Tommy Shaw sings a several Night Ranger songs when he tours with Blades.

Tommy Shaw sang zero Night Ranger songs with Damn Yankees.  They did used to do a bit where Shaw would start playing "Babe" and Ted Nugent would tell Tommy his guitar seemed out of tune.   Shaw would surrender his acooustic to Ted, who would smash it to bits and then launch into "Renegade".  They stopped doing it when Dennis DeYoung let them know it hurt his tender heart. 

Jack Blades sang lead on all three Night Ranger' songs Damn Yankees performed. 

4 hours ago, Simon said:

I've been in that stadium before when they get that rolling and it's pretty galdanged impressive

Yes, there's a reason why a lot of Talking Heads didn't give us a chance there. 

Tough place to play, maybe tougher than New Era; they are used to winning and used to solid play for their team so they're harder to shut up.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...On a side note if we are adopting any tradition (which I’m against 99.9999% of the time) I want “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from Anfield. There isn’t a tradition, in all of sports, that fits the way that would fit us. It is absolutely perfect. Can you imagine this scene right before the opening kickoff in Orchard Park?!? 

Rarely is there an opportunity presented to bring Pink Floyd into a Bills discussion.

‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ is played at the beginning & end of Fearless. The Floyd were fans of the Liverpool FC (Football Club).

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Nothing like a bunch of appalachian inbreds getting hyped up to a 40 year old song.

Good times.

:lol:

When Buffalo has the resurgent Tech industry and the quality colleges that Pitts has, Son, Then you can talk.

Until then - bad take.

9 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Rarely is there an opportunity presented to bring Pink Floyd into a Bills discussion.

‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ is played at the beginning & end of Fearless. The Floyd were fans of the Liverpool FC (Football Club).

It's way too mellow to be a fight song, but it's been here in various threads ever since I got an Earworm of it with McDermott's exhortation to "Play Fearless"

I started out the Postgame thread with lyrics from that song.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When Buffalo has the resurgent Tech industry and the quality colleges that Pitts has, Son, Then you can talk.

Until then - bad take.

Yeah no moan. I know A LOT of squeeler fans personally, and I stand by the take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Haha yeah, you can see someone whipping off his parka and whirling it overhead, someone running down the sideline, and a bunch of Bills players jumping up and down on the sideline.  Hell Yeah, we were ready for that.