A brief history of "Renegade" and the Steelers

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/84211-the-pittsburgh-steelers-renegade-a-brief-history

The magic began January 5, 2002 during a playoff game against Cleveland. The Browns held a 17-7 halftime lead. By the beginning of the second half they stretched it out to 24-7........(crew played Renegade) As the slow, melodic intro echoed out across the depressed fans, everyone felt the sense of failure. Even the music controller gave up. 45 seconds later, the atmosphere changed. The screams of the song gave fans a needed wake up call, and the stadium became alive with excitement.  The crowd was back in the game, and the team responded. (...)Tommy Maddox followed by leading a 66-yard drive to pay dirt to cut the lead to 24-14.  (....) The final quarter was capped off by Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala’s touchdown run and Randle El’s pass to Jerame Tuman for the two-point conversion.

(....)

The song works. Teams have yet to score this year on a drive after "Renegade" is played.

Until now.

Apparently the Bills players were so used to and psyched up by that song that Phillips and Barkley were trolling the Steelers fans during it:

What's happening, Joe B, is that per Allen's presser, McDermott had that song played so much during practice that the guys got used to it.

So we went on down and scored.  PS Joe B, you can belly up for your Crow Pie portion for picking the Bills to lose any time now.....

SHOUT!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I was in the stadium tonight and when Allen hit Brown after they played that there was this stunned silence.  My buddy who is a Steeler fan said he's never seen that before.  Worst Renegade fail ever.  Teams have sometimes gained a few yards got a first down once in a while after it plays.

Says he's never seen a huge play against off the song. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Go to a Night Ranger concert nowadays and the people are singing ‘MOTRIN!’

I went to a Night Ranger concert and I can say with confidence that it was the absolute worst concert I've ever been to.  I mean they were ***** horrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Testament to solid coaching during the week to get ready for this one—that’s attention to detail right there. 

Well, we did have a video crew there last week to ***cough, cough*** prepare for the next installment of Inside the Bills, they should have been prepared.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I went to a Night Ranger concert and I can say with confidence that it was the absolute worst concert I've ever been to.  I mean they were ***** horrible.

well, good morning sunshine!  It's so nice to see you in mid-day form at 6:40am.

• Haha (+1) 1

Tim Graham article (Athletic subscription) 

Bills coach Sean McDermott relentlessly played “Renegade” at practice all week.

Players sounded like hostages who were exposed to sound torture.

“They played it a hundred times at practice,” rookie defensive tackle Ed Oliver said. “I just grew to like it.”

Was the Steelers’ unofficial anthem really played 100 times at Bills practice?

“Maybe more,” Phillips said.

Or at least that’s what it felt like.

Coleman and Hughes each estimated 40 replays. Barkley guessed 30.

McDermott’s psyops apparently worked.

“We’ve been hearing it all week,” Coleman said, “and it got to the point during practice that we absolutely hated that song.

“But the vets knew when it was going to come on and how the whole stadium would erupt. For us, it actually energized us. You take what they do and make it your own.”

Hughes supported the idea of the Bills taking “Renegade” back to New Era Field as a prize, similar to a college rivalry trophy like Paul Bunyan’s Axe, the Iron Skillet, the Little Brown Jug and the Keg of Nails.

“I feel we can take it and make it our own,” Hughes said. “The freakin’ Bills Mafia would always find a way. Let’s have some fun with it.”

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

Not gonna lie, it was kinda fun when they did the whole thing - really just blacking out all of the scoreboards gives a "What the heck...?" moment for opposing fans.  And even better was how we responded ?

• Like (+1) 1