Phillips embarasses Brandon Beane

1 hour ago, section122 said:

I'm on record as saying he is my favorite player on the team so this is not an unbiased post but....

The Bills have so much cap space going into next year.  I think they can keep Star, Murphy, etc for another year and still do what they want.  There is no reason to create holes and swallow dead money when they have so much flexibility.  Star and Murphy can play next year then the dead space for star drops considerably while Murphy's contract is off the books.  I think they should only look at cutting players when they have cap troubles.  I don't see a reason to create a hole just to need to pay someone else to fill it.

For example Star's contract pays him 10.1 million next year which I agree is a lot.  Dead money is 7.8 million.  Can you find a better player for 2.3 million?  I don't think so.  Also cutting someone means signing someone which cuts into the comp formula.  I think this year they won't be quite as active but still doing some fa signing.  Comp picks are a year away still imo.

Sign Philips to 15.5 if that is what it takes, keep Star and Murphy, sign shaq to 9 million and you still have 65 million dollars to work with.  Draft a pass rusher to replace Murphy and Hughes after next year.  Just spit balling but I hate the idea of cutting guys for minimal savings when they don't need the money   

I just can't see Beane spending 65+ million (one-third of the cap) on the DL without having a better pass rushing DE.

If he really wants to sign Phillips and Shaq then something has to give.  Murphy seems like the obvious choice to move on from.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Remember when the Bills let Ted walk?

The run D never recovered.

Pay the man and keep up the rotation the big men stay fresh that way..

I do. The similarities scare me. I hope we can retain Jordan.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I just can't see Beane spending 65+ million (one-third of the cap) on the DL without having a better pass rushing DE.

If he really wants to sign Phillips and Shaq then something has to give.  Murphy seems like the obvious choice to move on from.

Agree.  There is no reason to keep Murphy who is just not an impact player.  After the 2020 season, Star could be gone as well.

Phillips is a really like able guy. Gotta hope that’s a good sign for negotiations as well. I think after almost flaming out in Miami that Jordan Phillips understands how important “fit” is for a player. I have a feeling he’ll be back, on a fair contract. 4yrs $8M aav? Idk what would be guaranteed but that’s more than I get involved in with the NFL contracts 

12 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He's got 9.5 sacks on the season...among DTs, only Aaron Donald has more (11.0). The next closest is DeForest Buckner with 6.5.

Phillips is 26 years old, and is a dangerous pass rusher that also happens to weigh 340 lbs. 

My estimated price tag on the open market: $15.5M per year.

Hope he goes in at 10, 12 million tops,  better to play where your successful imo, but who listens to me? Bloody no-one... ?

Edited by Don Otreply

Article with more stuff on how Beane relates to the team

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/nfl/beane-is-a-players-gm/

Open lines of communication but respect

“He does as good of a job as any I’ve ever seen of bridging that gap and making sure it’s well understood he’s our boss, but there’s no need to walk on eggshells when you walk down the hallway,” Lee Smith said. “He’s very approachable and just top notch.”

On 12/17/2019 at 6:21 AM, Wayne Arnold said:

Jordan apparently forgot to consult this dude

I think when a guy's description calls himself a "Justice Journalist", we can predict the take.

If your tool is a hammer, golly gee everything looks like a nail!

• Like (+1) 1