Phillips embarasses Brandon Beane

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's got 9.5 sacks on the season...among DTs, only Aaron Donald has more (11.0). The next closest is DeForest Buckner with 6.5.

Phillips is 26 years old, and is a dangerous pass rusher that also happens to weigh 340 lbs. 

My estimated price tag on the open market: $15.5M per year.

I’d like to keep him but not for 15.5. That seems hefty.

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's got 9.5 sacks on the season...among DTs, only Aaron Donald has more (11.0). The next closest is DeForest Buckner with 6.5.

Phillips is 26 years old, and is a dangerous pass rusher that also happens to weigh 340 lbs. 

Can the Bills afford to do it? I mean I know they have the space but sell me a way in which it makes sense long term for their cap management and roster building plan Bandit..... you are always good at this stuff. Maybe a contract that doesn't pay big in 2020 but escalates afterwards as Star becomes releasable?

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can the Bills afford to do it? I mean I know they have the space but sell me a way in which it makes sense long term for their cap management and roster building plan Bandit..... you are always good at this stuff. Maybe a contract that doesn't pay big in 2020 but escalates afterwards as Star becomes releasable?

I'll have to take a look. I'll also have to give some thought to whether I'd rather have Phillips at $15.5M plus Star's dead money hit or the cap space to sign others and a 3rd round comp pick.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Slightly off topic but still Phillips related.  Did anyone catch his PFF position rank during the defensive intro?  It was something like 100th...how the heck is that possible?

Did you see Pouncey's rank for Centers?

It was something like 36 of 36  or 38 of 38 is that guy really the worst at his position?

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Players balling out in contract years always makes me nervous. I figured his next contract would look something like Star’s but now thats probably not the case. Don’t think I’d be thrilled with $15mil per year.

Remember when the Bills let Ted walk?

The run D never recovered.

Pay the man and keep up the rotation the big men stay fresh that way..

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep , but its impressive we are winning with a lot of no name guys, we are going to be scary when the talent on this team goes up.

I have been a long time fan and a bit jaded, but I am really impressed with the Bills discipline and team concept. There will be no doubt in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Remember when the Bills let Ted walk?

The run D never recovered.

Pay the man and keep up the rotation the big men stay fresh that way..

Even worse was Donahoe letting Pat WIlliams walk for what turned out to be less than $1M difference in the contract he signed with the Vikings.

• Like (+1) 3

If I were Beane, I’d be more comfortable giving him the franchise tag.  Phillips still hasn’t got his big payday.  $14m is a lot better than committing $25-30m guaranteed if you’re not sure he’s gonna stay motivated.  $14m still life changing, ‘never have to work another day in your life’ money.  Sign him long term if he stays motivated after getting $14m.  

You can probably get Lawson for $9-10m per year. He’s been a high profile guy for longer, was the #1 high school recruit... I’d trust giving him long term contract more.  

6 hours ago, Distorted One said:

I love Phillips.  What a reclamation project he's turned out to be.  What a find by Beane and Co.  I think he really like the whole process and culture thing gonig on in B'lo right now.  Seems to have really bought in from the get-go.  You could see it one the field immediately with all his energy and excitement.  That's the kind of energy you can feel through the television screen and it was clear he found a place he liked right away. 

How about them sacks?!?!  Someone please do the numbers.  How many sacks in his entire career vs. just this season?  He's having a monster of a year. 

Jordan Phillips MIA - 40 tackles, 5.5 sacks 1 INT in 48 Games

Jordan Phillips in Buf - 45 Tackles, 9.5 Sacks, 1 FR in 26 Games

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Oh he’s not angling for that next contract there is he??? Hahahaha Phillips has been an amazing steal for this team. And he’s making millions every single game for the next contract. Not a fan of his emotions getting the better of him at times but he is a helluva player 

What's the "emotions getting the better of him at times" part? 

The guy plays hard, plays for his teammates and encourages the fans to be involved. His emotions contribute to the success hes having. Give me guys who give a crap every time. 

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Oh he’s not angling for that next contract there is he??? Hahahaha Phillips has been an amazing steal for this team. And he’s making millions every single game for the next contract. Not a fan of his emotions getting the better of him at times but he is a helluva player 

The fact that he'd be angling for a new contract makes me happy. I want our good players to stay here and want to stay here, not just stay because we have to overpay them.

11 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

What's the "emotions getting the better of him at times" part? 

The guy plays hard, plays for his teammates and encourages the fans to be involved. His emotions contribute to the success hes having. Give me guys who give a crap every time. 

He’s picked up some silly penalties celebrating. No need to defend his effort we all know who he is and what he does. Wasn’t a knock on him just not something I was a fan of. 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Pay him! He's worth every penny! 

We will have plenty of cap space

Edited by TheFunPolice

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s picked up some silly penalties celebrating. No need to defend his effort we all know who he is and what he does. Wasn’t a knock on him just not something I was a fan of. 

Fair enough, I wasn't picking. I remember some penalties early last season but this year I can't really think of many. I think last week he took one for a late hit, borderline call but whatever. I think he's played smart this year. 

• Like (+1) 1