Josh Allen - week FIFTEEN report card

rayray808

A lot QBs are "rythm passers", they need to get in the flow more than others. It's clearly the case for Josh. When he's on a roll, the tempo is fast, etc. he is suddenly very accurate. When the offense is sputtering and run heavy, he gets inaccurate. I mean, it's like that for every QB but even more so for him, which is not a good trait. But thankfully, he is mentally tough and not easily rattled so he could be awful for long stretches and suddenly get hot for a few drives. And pressure doesn't phase him, he can be clutch for sure.

Very weird combo but I'll take it! As a fan I'll gladly take his weaknesses to get his strengths! He wins, he leads, and he is entertaining as can be. Snif, he's my quarterback, snif.

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

The throw to Brown was a great throw which I would expect a great player like Brown to make a play on that. Set up perfectly for a pass interference call, he made a great grab. 

• Like (+1) 1

B

The interception was slightly overthrown but still should have been caught.  He led the team against one of the best Defenses in the NFL, in the 4th quarter when the game mattered to a victory.

He did what it took to win!  The kid is a winner

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

The throw to Brown was a great throw which I would expect a great player like Brown to make a play on that. Set up perfectly for a pass interference call, he made a great grab. 

Yeah I thought the deep pass to brown was a good throw. I watched it again and the timing was good on that, didnt give the defender much of a chance. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed

If his version of not pretty means getting it done with timely scores on the road against top-5 defensive units, then he's going to play in this league for a long time.

Yeah I get weird early Flacco-vibes out of Josh. He’ll follow up an inaccurate pass with a dart that only a handful of QB’s could make, and when he’s hot, he elevates his game to a different level. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SmokinES3 said:

What is the scale though? Do we take into account the Defense he's facing when grading? If so, B.

If not, C-.

This is the problem with these "grade Allen" threads.  We don't know the game plan, we don't know Daboll's calls, we don't know Josh's audibles, we don't know whether the receivers ran the right routes, we don't know if the line executed their protections, we don't know whether Josh picked up the right takeout for dinner on his way home from the game.

People are grading him based on their perceptions or biased lens of their expectations.  This is akin to scoring Josh on a math test when he was taking a chemistry test.  The coaching staff are the ones that wrote the test and the only ones qualified to grade.  Sure, we have the "eye test" and that is what makes a thread like this fun, at times.   But man, we all need to maintain a better perspective of responsibilities and accountabilities.

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Question for the “Brown saved Allen” brigade...

Do you think Patrick Mahomes is a good QB?

.....because he throws about 5 of those per game. 

Trust your receivers...and smurfs :) 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense also forfeited with like 8 minutes left in the game.... that strategy worked against Duck Hodges, it won’t work in the playoffs against a Watson or Mahomes.

Agree.  The obvious question is would McD and Daboll shut the offense down with 8 minutes left in a game vs. Watson or Mahomes?

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Question for the “Brown saved Allen” brigade...

Do you think Patrick Mahomes is a good QB?

.....because he throws about 5 of those per game. 

It's not just Mahomes.  It's everyone, everywhere, all the time.  Many a PI is a result of throws like this.  It's part of the gameplan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VW82 said:

C-

It’s tough grading games like this when our receivers prove completely incapable of making catches that are even a little bit difficult. What would Josh’s numbers have looked like if Beasley and Brown had hauled in a couple of those early ones? 

I was texting with a buddy (Bears fan) during the game and he’s convinced Allen and Trubisky are the same QB. Both are really good outside the pocket, improvising on the run, etc. Both struggle with accuracy and take too long to read a defense. He pointed out Mitch made the pro bowl last year despite his rep as a bad QB. It would appear non-Bills fans still aren’t sold. 

Most people aren’t sold imo...

12 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Agree.  The obvious question is would McD and Daboll shut the offense down with 8 minutes left in a game vs. Watson or Mahomes?

It's not just Mahomes.  It's everyone, everywhere, all the time.  Many a PI is a result of throws like this.  It's part of the gameplan.

Exactly. They did just what they needed to in order to defeat PIT, and took no chances with cheap turnovers. Not the same as they would need vs anyone else. In a win or go home situation, I don’t believe they’d have the same approach. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly. They did just what they needed to in order to defeat PIT, and took no chances with cheap turnovers. Not the same as they would need vs anyone else. In a win or go home situation, I don’t believe they’d have the same approach. 

Hey, so let's have a talk about your predictions for this game. Feeling sheepish or nah?

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's crazy.  The defense gets an A.  Allen gets a C+. 

The pick was all on him and wasn't his only bad throw of the night.  Brown saved him on back to back deep throws, once catching it and once preventing a pick.

No... Brown actually played like and NFL WR and competed for the ball. 

People looking for perfect balls 40 yards downfield need to watch other QBs whole games and not just the highlight reels.  

It the exception not the rule. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hey, so let's have a talk about your predictions for this game. Feeling sheepish or nah?

No, not at all. Pressure is totally off. They won’t get any calls in Foxboro, but they don’t have the crazy environment that PIT has. Fans were booing in NE the other week. Just didn’t like that PIT matchup all year. Probably ptsd from the ‘90’s teams . If Allen and Daboll are better, they’ll have a good shot at this. Brady has looked worse lately than he did in OP 

Allen wasn't very good but he made a few good throws when it mattered. 

The fumbles and his propensity to take sacks on the cusp of field goal range need to get corrected. There must have been like 6-7 times this season when we had a 1st down somewhere between the 35-40 yard line in opposition territory, and he takes a drive killing 10 yard sack. He needs to learn to throw the ball away. 

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah I get weird early Flacco-vibes out of Josh. He’ll follow up an inaccurate pass with a dart that only a handful of QB’s could make, and when he’s hot, he elevates his game to a different level. 

I will gladly take that if Allen plays like Flacco did in the 2013 postseason. 

• Like (+1) 1