Props to McDermott and Beane for changing the culture

TheBrownBear

4 hours ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

Easy schedule or not, they are winning the games.  Previous regimes around here have had opportunities, yet time after time found ways to lose meaningful games.  The 2019 Bills just walked into Pittsburgh in a primetime game with a playoff berth on the line.  They came out with the W when it mattered most.  That means something. 

I think it also important to note... the Steelers pretty much had a playoff berth on the line as well.  They were in that all to familiar position of needing to win 2 of the last 3

and have a few teams help them.  They needed last night's game.   At home, riding a win streak, tough game against the Ravens to end the season. This was a game they needed! And we went into their house and won. 

How many past Bills teams would have done that?  In prime time no less. The culture has changed.  The Bills don't lay down for anyone. 

46 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

McDermott came in with a plan to build a football program and he has seen that through along with beane.  They have restored credibility and relevance to the franchise.  

In my mind, the drought really ended last night.  

I agree.   The drought is now officially done!!   The 2nd playoff appearance in 3 years, proves the first time was not a fluke.  And this time, the Bills took control of their destiny; won the games they had to; and made it with 2 weeks to spare.

The culture has changed.  Winning football is expected and accomplished.  From the owners to the front office and coaches... they've done what we've been waiting forever for.   It feels pretty damn good.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....our defense played the Patsies tough way back in week 4........I actually think our "D" has gotten better and more consistent, while the Pats offense/Brady have shown signs of wear and tear lately.....the Foxboro magic and automatic "W's" of yesteryear may not be a slam dunk this time....stay tuned.........

Their D is also showing some slowing down- we cant gage anything off the lousy Bengals thats for sure.

27 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think it also important to note... the Steelers pretty much had a playoff berth on the line as well.  They were in that all to familiar position of needing to win 2 of the last 3

and have a few teams help them.  They needed last night's game.   At home, riding a win streak, tough game against the Ravens to end the season. This was a game they needed! And we went into their house and won. 

How many past Bills teams would have done that?  In prime time no less. The culture has changed.  The Bills don't lay down for anyone. 

I agree.   The drought is now officially done!!   The 2nd playoff appearance in 3 years, proves the first time was not a fluke.  And this time, the Bills took control of their destiny; won the games they had to; and made it with 2 weeks to spare.

The culture has changed.  Winning football is expected and accomplished.  From the owners to the front office and coaches... they've done what we've been waiting forever for.   It feels pretty damn good.  

Aside from the obvious, it’s been great for a young team like ours to get a couple of these wins on the big stage. They’re learning how to get it done when it matters most. Another reason why even though it was “flukey”, it was great to get into the playoffs two years ago. That “just happy to be here” feeling is over. Now it’s time to win in the playoffs. We have another chance Saturday to make people take notice. If we can beat the Pats, heads will be turning and NOBODY would want to play is in the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Aside from the obvious, it’s been great for a young team like ours to get a couple of these wins on the big stage. They’re learning how to get it done when it matters most. Another reason why even though it was “flukey”, it was great to get into the playoffs two years ago. That “just happy to be here” feeling is over. Now it’s time to win in the playoffs. We have another chance Saturday to make people take notice. If we can beat the Pats, heads will be turning and NOBODY would want to play is in the playoffs. 

Completely agree.... The experience a couple seasons ago will pay dividends in a few weeks, as will winning primetime games like last night.  It's fun watching this team and these players learn to win games like this.  It's been far too long for us all.  But we've earned the joy we're experiencing today.

8 hours ago, Easterner said:

The number one reason the Bills are going to the playoffs is  a soft schedule.

They were supposed to run over the Steelers with the third 3rd string undrafted

QB. Yes McDermott is a outstanding Defensive Coach, bur not a lot of smarts

on the Offensive side. Same as most head coaches whose expertise lies on

one side of the ball.

The steelers were favored to win the game....

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Easterner said:

I am enjoying myself and congratulations to the Bills organization, but

facts are facts. There is a lot of parity in the NFL this year and on any

given day or night most all teams either can win or throw in a stinker.

Explain Atlanta beating San Francisco today. The Bills had a soft strength

of schedule this year and took advantage of it. That has nothing to do with 

a culture change.

what a bag of *****.  some people truly don't know how to find joy in anything.

edit: let's not also forget that there were a few on here that kept comparing mcd to gase earlier this season.  hell...someone recently stated that they felt flores was the better coach.  this staff has done a great job so far.  for the first time in a long time i'm proud of this team.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 1:20 AM, Easterner said:

The number one reason the Bills are going to the playoffs is  a soft schedule.

They were supposed to run over the Steelers with the third 3rd string undrafted

QB. Yes McDermott is a outstanding Defensive Coach, bur not a lot of smarts

on the Offensive side. Same as most head coaches whose expertise lies on

one side of the ball.

Josh Allen is not accurate and they have no big names anywhere on the roster. Soft schedule to boot, these guys just shouldnt even travel to damn playoff game. Nevermind the fact they are winning. Enjoy making the playoffs without help or dont. The choice is yours.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, papazoid said:

both beane and mcclappity deserve new 5 year deals.

stability and bills in same sentence.....been awhile.

Contract extensions for Bills' Sean McDermott, Brandon Beane a no-brainer: by vic carucci

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/17/contract-extensions-for-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-a-no-brainer/

On 12/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, GunnerBill said:

He is an excellent leader and an excellent coach. Anyone who doesn't see the brilliance of the job he has done here is not looking. 

Before McDermott Buffalo had spent 15 year finding ways to lose. Now they find ways to win. That is about more than Xs and Os or playcalling. It is about culture. It is about the environment they have created in the building. Great job. 

15? More like 20 :death:

McDermott is a great coach. When he described his vision of philosophy and culture when he got here i knew we were golden. I sent him a letter last year encouraging him and to ignore all the naysayers and continue on in the process and surprisingly i got postcard back thanking me for my support with his signature in it. Not that , that matters but thought it was cool he did.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/15/2019 at 11:46 PM, Rico said:

Amen. Cleaned up a huge mess and have completely turned this franchise around.

Not missing Whaley and co.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:39 AM, Easterner said:

I am enjoying myself and congratulations to the Bills organization, but

facts are facts. There is a lot of parity in the NFL this year and on any

given day or night most all teams either can win or throw in a stinker.

Explain Atlanta beating San Francisco today. The Bills had a soft strength

of schedule this year and took advantage of it. That has nothing to do with 

a culture change.

get-out-266x300.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, May Day 10 said:

McDermott came in with a plan to build a football program and he has seen that through along with beane.  They have restored credibility and relevance to the franchise.  

In my mind, the drought really ended last night.  

it ended when he got hired.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, papazoid said:

both beane and mcclappity deserve new 5 year deals.

stability and bills in same sentence.....been awhile.

can we stop calling him mcclappity now?? Its not endearing.

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

Contract extensions for Bills' Sean McDermott, Brandon Beane a no-brainer: by vic carucci

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/17/contract-extensions-for-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-a-no-brainer/

I agree but I'd give them five more.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that I said they'd get the full five years on their contact after year one. That take was mocked by a number of people. Sweet vindication.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

On 12/15/2019 at 11:33 PM, TheBrownBear said:

Zero chance any of the Bills teams of the last 19 years win those nationally televised road games in Dallas and Pittsburgh.  Say what you will about his conservative nature, but McDermott has done a hell of a job of bringing this team together on and off the field.  These are tough dudes top to bottom.  Nobody will want to draw the Bills in the postseason. 

I don't agree he is conservative. McDermott goes for it on 4th down more than any other Bills coach I can remember. I believe their one TD was a direct result of going for it on 4th down.

People need to stop writing narratives that they want to believe instead of looking at the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I don't agree he is conservative. McDermott goes for it on 4th down more than any other Bills coach I can remember. I believe their one TD was a direct result of going for it on 4th down.

People need to stop writing narratives that they want to believe instead of looking at the truth.

It was lazy narrative that was promoted by a few, “Jauronball”.   McD is a defensive coach - Jauron was a defensive coach.  McD cut his teeth with his specialty with DB’s, Jauron did the same.

McD had a perceived tendency to play it safe, Jauron as well.

Put that all together and you get “Jauronball”

How easy, yet a lazy analysis.

McD’s defense is far more complex than Jauron’s and truth be told considerably better.

in relation to their offensive game management style, McD plays to his players abilities, the offense didn’t have much in regard for to capabilities therefore many of the decisions reflected that.  As the offense has gotten better with more talent they have played with more aggression.   Jauron wouldn’t have gone for the 4th down on the first scoring drive against Pittsburgh, which turned out to be an important decision that helped the Bills with the victory.

McD has gone for lots of 4th down plays this year, much more than I can remember than with Jauron.

Not to mention that the offense has converted lots more third and Longs than I can remember.

or the aggression that the Bills play with when they are playing out of their own 5 yard line.

or the play call where Allen hits Kroft for the TD.  Under a Jauron inspired team that may have been a play it safe play and go for FG.

McD is the real deal, what he brings to this team is A culture discipline, toughness, focus, family, fundamentals, motivation and knowing how to play sound football.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, Rico said:

Amen. Cleaned up a huge mess and have completely turned this franchise around.

Amazing how quiet those who endlessly defended Whaley and decried Beane for "getting rid of all the talent" have become lately.

• Like (+1) 1