A different perspective on Robert Foster (TBN article)

30 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

I don't want to sound disrespectful towards the USA, which is a great nation, but every time I heard news like this I always wonder how it is possible that this happens so frequently, I mean, bullets flying everywhere like a crime TV series.

Anyway, my best wishes to Foster.

Your puzzlement is shared by most of Europe, and is beyond the scope of this football forum to address.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hapless, thanks for sharing as it’s not the $, but on principle won’t pay just to read Bills stories.  Rochester, Toronto, and Syracuse papers, don’t require it.  Funny as my dad work as an exec in advertising for them for 44 years.  His only job except for his bout in the Korean War.  It was my college job too.

Appreciate you sharing.  

I understand your POV, but increasing numbers of newspapers are going to an online subscriber model as print subscriptions (and thus revenue) decline

1) You wouldn’t work for free, so why would you expect reporters, photographers, and editors to do so to provide you with content?

2) If you aren’t paying for a product, remember YOU ARE the product

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've been a Foster fan since he made the team.  I wish he'd get more opportunities.  After reading that, I'll also be pulling for him even harder.

It’s harder to get more opportunities when Allen strangles with a long ball !!

Hopefully Allen will get that minor issue fixed 

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Really?

As a coach, i can tell you that my boys are never far enough away from me, that i can’t be the adult in the room. If ANY of my boys do anything outside of the rules of the team, they understand that there are consequences. Arguing with ANYONE in public, is well within the scope of adult involvement. 

If a grown man starts an argument with children, especially ones in my care, I immediately find a way to diffuse the situation. It’s happened on the field, and it’s happened at practice. There is no way in hell that I would ever allow a situation to get so out of hand, that it would come to violence, let alone gun violence. If I have my boys at a resteraunt, and a man says “get those (insert racial epithet of your choice) out of here”, IMMEDIATELY the boys get up and we leave. Safety first, ALWAYS.  If you can’t see that, that’s an even bigger issue to talk about some other time. 

Im sorry for Robert Foster. I’m sorry for any child that has to deal with sudden and tragic death. As a man, and as a coach, I’m proud for him that he has found his way. 

Typical of our time, you’re creating false equivalency to build up your argument, but also rally others behind you with some good old fashioned virtue signals. It’s a valid question to ask where the responsible adults were in this situation. To say that I’m being self righteous because i asked that question, is just plain sickening. It’s a clear indicator of where we headed as people, when the idea of ADULT SUPERVISION is called into question, and worse, self righteous. 

The fact that someone liked your comment is also sad. 

Go Bills. 

Robert Foster said that after Mr. Gamez pulled a gun, he started running and was back at the hotel to tell his coach about it before he knew anyone had been shot. He heard the gunshots, he said.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/east/2013/04/25/Gateway-teammates-testify/stories/201304250218

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Really?

As a coach, i can tell you that my boys are never far enough away from me, that i can’t be the adult in the room. If ANY of my boys do anything outside of the rules of the team, they understand that there are consequences. Arguing with ANYONE in public, is well within the scope of adult involvement. 

If a grown man starts an argument with children, especially ones in my care, I immediately find a way to diffuse the situation. It’s happened on the field, and it’s happened at practice. There is no way in hell that I would ever allow a situation to get so out of hand, that it would come to violence, let alone gun violence. If I have my boys at a resteraunt, and a man says “get those (insert racial epithet of your choice) out of here”, IMMEDIATELY the boys get up and we leave. Safety first, ALWAYS.  If you can’t see that, that’s an even bigger issue to talk about some other time. 

Im sorry for Robert Foster. I’m sorry for any child that has to deal with sudden and tragic death. As a man, and as a coach, I’m proud for him that he has found his way. 

Typical of our time, you’re creating false equivalency to build up your argument, but also rally others behind you with some good old fashioned virtue signals. It’s a valid question to ask where the responsible adults were in this situation. To say that I’m being self righteous because i asked that question, is just plain sickening. It’s a clear indicator of where we headed as people, when the idea of ADULT SUPERVISION is called into question, and worse, self righteous. 

Go Bills. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Robert Foster said that after Mr. Gamez pulled a gun, he started running and was back at the hotel to tell his coach about it before he knew anyone had been shot. He heard the gunshots, he said.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/east/2013/04/25/Gateway-teammates-testify/stories/201304250218

Wow, I guess I should have, but I never expected this to go there and I’m sorry it did.

1) I don’t care where the coach was.  I don’t care what the kids said.  It’s unacceptable for an adult (the shooter was >21 at the time) to pull out a gun and shoot a kid in the back, no matter what the kids said

2) @RobbRiddicksTDLeap, kudos to you for taking such a proactive and positive attitude to diffuse all situations with the kids in your charge, but it really doesn’t change 1), and tossing in language about ‘virtue signals’ and ADULT SUPERVISION (all caps) does not strengthen the argument, it just kind of makes it look like an underlying agenda.

3) People get shot these days who are doing absolutely nothing wrong and nothing to escalate a situation.  So without knowing all the details of the situation you seem to be making a bunch of assumptions.

The story is that Foster, for whatever reason, underwent a very traumatic situation of having a good friend who was headed for a positive sports-related activity shot and turned the negative experience into positive motivation for himself.  That is commendable, period.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Really?

Go Bills. 

Did you question the adults integrity at the schools that get shot up too, you are not getting the point, but that’s okay, enjoy the game, and merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and yours. 

Sorry Hapless, I’ll try harder to bypass this sort of thing in the future. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

55 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

And if the coach had been with them at the restaurant, there’s a very good chance Gamez doesn’t say anything to the boys, and or, the coach would have been able to diffuse the situation. 

There is a time and place for children, especially teenage boys, to learn independence and freedom. On a team trip across country is not one of them. 

Again, as a coach, the only time my boys would be out of my sight is lights out. 

Ultimately, Gamez is responsible for the death of the young man, but an adult on the scene would have been able to do more to prevent it from escalating. 

Go Bills. 

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Did you question the adults integrity at the schools that get shot up too, you are not getting the point, but that’s okay, enjoy the game, and merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and yours. 

Sorry Hapless, I’ll try harder to bypass this sort of thing in the future. 

Go Bills!!!

School shootings and a racist shooting a kid in the back are two entirely different situations. If you can’t see that, then we can’t have a rational conversation. 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow, I guess I should have, but I never expected this to go there and I’m sorry it did.

1) I don’t care where the coach was.  I don’t care what the kids said.  It’s unacceptable for an adult (the shooter was >21 at the time) to pull out a gun and shoot a kid in the back, no matter what the kids said

2) @RobbRiddicksTDLeap, kudos to you for taking such a proactive and positive attitude to diffuse all situations with the kids in your charge, but it really doesn’t change 1), and tossing in language about ‘virtue signals’ and ADULT SUPERVISION (all caps) does not strengthen the argument, it just kind of makes it look like an underlying agenda.

3) People get shot these days who are doing absolutely nothing wrong and nothing to escalate a situation.  So without knowing all the details of the situation you seem to be making a bunch of assumptions.

The story is that Foster, for whatever reason, underwent a very traumatic situation of having a good friend who was headed for a positive sports-related activity shot and turned the negative experience into positive motivation for himself.  That is commendable, period.

What he did was exactly virtue signaling. I don’t need to strengthen my argument, but i also won’t allow my words to be twisted into something they are not. 

Trying to draw an inference between school shootings and what happened in this story, is a false equivalency. Yes, in both instances people were shot and killed. That’s where the similarities end. 

I think between the 3 articles posted, we get a clear idea of what happened. A group of boys on a team trip went for something to eat. They got into an exchange with someone looking for trouble. Because there was no one there to guide them out of that trouble, a tragedy occurred. Does that about sum it up? If this would have just been a parking lot dust up and the worst thing that happened was a black eye and some hurt pride, it wouldn’t change the fact that there was no adult, no coach, present to be the voice of reason. 

Again, the fact that any of this needs to be explained or defended, is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

And if the coach had been with them at the restaurant, there’s a very good chance Gamez doesn’t say anything to the boys, and or, the coach would have been able to diffuse the situation. 

There is a time and place for children, especially teenage boys, to learn independence and freedom. On a team trip across country is not one of them. 

Again, as a coach, the only time my boys would be out of my sight is lights out. 

Ultimately, Gamez is responsible for the death of the young man, but an adult on the scene would have been able to do more to prevent it from escalating. 

Go Bills. 

School shootings and a racist shooting a kid in the back are two entirely different situations. If you can’t see that, then we can’t have a rational conversation. 

the flaw in your argument is in your words “and if in adult were there.....”  is nothing more than an assumption. A guy who is carrying a gun and clearly willing to shoot, isn’t necessarily going to care about an adult being there versus a group of teenagers. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

What he did was exactly virtue signaling. I don’t need to strengthen my argument, but i also won’t allow my words to be twisted into something they are not. 

Trying to draw an inference between school shootings and what happened in this story, is a false equivalency. Yes, in both instances people were shot and killed. That’s where the similarities end. 

I think between the 3 articles posted, we get a clear idea of what happened. A group of boys on a team trip went for something to eat. They got into an exchange with someone looking for trouble. Because there was no one there to guide them out of that trouble, a tragedy occurred. Does that about sum it up? If this would have just been a parking lot dust up and the worst thing that happened was a black eye and some hurt pride, it wouldn’t change the fact that there was no adult, no coach, present to be the voice of reason. 

Again, the fact that any of this needs to be explained or defended, is beyond me. 

Yes, it is beyond you,

10-4 Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Call the fight!!!! They have families!!!!