A different perspective on Robert Foster (TBN article)

Article on Robert Foster's family background and home situation growing up.

Buffalo News, may be paywall. 

Wow, some of the stuff he went through.  Gives me a different perspective on the guy.

On June 23, 2011, Foster was part of a group traveling to Florida with a 7-on-7 football team. During a stop in Durham, N.C., Foster and one of his best friends, Darrell Turner, were part of a group that got into an argument with a man at a restaurant. Gabriel Gamez then pulled a gun and shot Turner in the back, piercing his heart. Another teammate was shot in the leg. The bullets narrowly missed Foster.

Gamez was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, suggesting during the trial that the shooting may have been racially motivated. A restaurant employee testified during the trial that Gamez told her he would shoot any black person who said anything to him or his family. Turner was black.

Deeply spiritual, Foster dealt with the grief of watching a friend die by dedicating himself to football. He worked out with Caltury multiple times per day. The workouts transformed him into a 6-foot-2, 195-pound freak of nature.

The kid has got grit.  I hope he pulls it together as a receiver. 

It's stuff like this that helps me understand McDermott's approach of wanting the guys on the team to know more about each other.  Everyone has a story, everyone has some degree of adversity or family problems to overcome, and it helps to pull for them when you know it.  I'll be pulling for him even harder now.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Where were the adults when this “argument” started?

Not really the point now is it.... you come across as a bit self righteous, Ask yourself this, were were the adults every time there is a school shooting in this country?? Dwell on that RRTDL. 

He and DW have been through some harsh times, I root for them all the more because of how they have come through it. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Article on Robert Foster's family background and home situation growing up.

Buffalo News, may be paywall. 

Wow, some of the stuff he went through.  Gives me a different perspective on the guy.

On June 23, 2011, Foster was part of a group traveling to Florida with a 7-on-7 football team. During a stop in Durham, N.C., Foster and one of his best friends, Darrell Turner, were part of a group that got into an argument with a man at a restaurant. Gabriel Gamez then pulled a gun and shot Turner in the back, piercing his heart. Another teammate was shot in the leg. The bullets narrowly missed Foster.

Gamez was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, suggesting during the trial that the shooting may have been racially motivated. A restaurant employee testified during the trial that Gamez told her he would shoot any black person who said anything to him or his family. Turner was black.

Deeply spiritual, Foster dealt with the grief of watching a friend die by dedicating himself to football. He worked out with Caltury multiple times per day. The workouts transformed him into a 6-foot-2, 195-pound freak of nature.

The kid has got grit.  I hope he pulls it together as a receiver. 

It's stuff like this that helps me understand McDermott's approach of wanting the guys on the team to know more about each other.  Everyone has a story, everyone has some degree of adversity or family problems to overcome, and it helps to pull for them when you know it.  I'll be pulling for him even harder now.

Hapless, thanks for sharing as it’s not the $, but on principle won’t pay just to read Bills stories.  Rochester, Toronto, and Syracuse papers, don’t require it.  Funny as my dad work as an exec in advertising for them for 44 years.  His only job except for his bout in the Korean War.  It was my college job too.

Appreciate you sharing.  

• Like (+1) 1

He's the most "electric" player on offense. Until Allen figures out his deep ball issues, they should really try to get the ball in his hands in space. I understand that he's not a "complete" receiver, but the fact that the offense can't execute screens is maddening. Bubble screen to Foster properly executed could theoretically be a big play without the need for an accurate deep ball.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not really the point now is it.... you come across as a bit self righteous, Ask yourself this, were were the adults every time there is a school shooting in this country?? Dwell on that RRTDL. 

He and DW have been through some harsh times, I root for them all the more because of how they have come through it. 

Go Bills!!!

Really?

As a coach, i can tell you that my boys are never far enough away from me, that i can’t be the adult in the room. If ANY of my boys do anything outside of the rules of the team, they understand that there are consequences. Arguing with ANYONE in public, is well within the scope of adult involvement. 

If a grown man starts an argument with children, especially ones in my care, I immediately find a way to diffuse the situation. It’s happened on the field, and it’s happened at practice. There is no way in hell that I would ever allow a situation to get so out of hand, that it would come to violence, let alone gun violence. If I have my boys at a resteraunt, and a man says “get those (insert racial epithet of your choice) out of here”, IMMEDIATELY the boys get up and we leave. Safety first, ALWAYS.  If you can’t see that, that’s an even bigger issue to talk about some other time. 

Im sorry for Robert Foster. I’m sorry for any child that has to deal with sudden and tragic death. As a man, and as a coach, I’m proud for him that he has found his way. 

Typical of our time, you’re creating false equivalency to build up your argument, but also rally others behind you with some good old fashioned virtue signals. It’s a valid question to ask where the responsible adults were in this situation. To say that I’m being self righteous because i asked that question, is just plain sickening. It’s a clear indicator of where we headed as people, when the idea of ADULT SUPERVISION is called into question, and worse, self righteous. 

The fact that someone liked your comment is also sad. 

Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Really?

As a coach, i can tell you that my boys are never far enough away from me, that i can’t be the adult in the room. If ANY of my boys do anything outside of the rules of the team, they understand that there are consequences. Arguing with ANYONE in public, is well within the scope of adult involvement. 

If a grown man starts an argument with children, especially ones in my care, I immediately find a way to diffuse the situation. It’s happened on the field, and it’s happened at practice. There is no way in hell that I would ever allow a situation to get so out of hand, that it would come to violence, let alone gun violence. If I have my boys at a resteraunt, and a man says “get those (insert racial epithet of your choice) out of here”, IMMEDIATELY the boys get up and we leave. Safety first, ALWAYS.  If you can’t see that, that’s an even bigger issue to talk about some other time. 

Im sorry for Robert Foster. I’m sorry for any child that has to deal with sudden and tragic death. As a man, and as a coach, I’m proud for him that he has found his way. 

Typical of our time, you’re creating false equivalency to build up your argument, but also rally others behind you with some good old fashioned virtue signals. It’s a valid question to ask where the responsible adults were in this situation. To say that I’m being self righteous because i asked that question, is just plain sickening. It’s a clear indicator of where we headed as people, when the idea of ADULT SUPERVISION is called into question, and worse, self righteous. 

The fact that someone liked your comment is also sad. 

Go Bills. 

RACK EM SON.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I was reading some college review of him and he was athletically elite on separating, speed, hips and compared to some of the best. 

Would be nice if the light bulb went on and he started playing like that. 

The strange part is, late last year he looked like that guy! Like a completely different player running a variety of routes well, getting open and catching the ball. I pray he becomes “that guy” again, as I want him to succeed more than ever after reading the above. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

The strange part is, late last year he looked like that guy! Like a completely different player running a variety of routes well, getting open and catching the ball. I pray he becomes “that guy” again, as I want him to succeed more than ever after reading the above. 

Not sure what his issue is. Either his pro AND COLLEGE btw OC can’t figure out how to use him, or he just another case of arrested development