Is Josh Allen A Good Quarterback??? (Good Film Breakdown)

Scorp83

It was posted back in Mid-December but no worries when you can't find a thread that's a couple weeks old.

I thought there were some good comments then, so yeah, I'm gonna merge.

TL;DW there was plenty of blame to go around in the Ravens game

Fails in pass protection and poor play on the O-line

Difficulty on the part of our WR separating against Man with physical play (and perhaps uncalled PI)

Some strange play calling of slow developing plays where fast developing routes were needed to counter the DL pressure

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Has there been a narrative that Josh Allen is bad?

You're funny

On 12/15/2019 at 9:19 AM, Teddy KGB said:

He will be.   All the tools are there.   

another upgrade in the wr room and it will be on 

I hope you are right...I’m getting tired of the excuses for him...he needs to show me something on Saturday...I need another performance like he did against Dallas....

Edited by JaCrispy

Well, for being the worst QB to ever throw a football in back yard, flag, pee wee, high school, college, and professional football, he did manage to produce the 6th most TDs this year. 

Of the top 15 QBs, in terms of total TDs, 12 made the playoffs, and Allen is 4th among them.

So, pretty good company to be in...

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, for being the worst QB to ever throw a football in back yard, flag, pee wee, high school, college, and professional football, he did manage to produce the 6th most TDs this year. 

Of the top 15 QBs, in terms of total TDs, 12 made the playoffs, and Allen is 4th among them.

So, pretty good company to be in...

So wait, does scoring matter more than completion percentage? Only 9 of the top 20 made the postseason.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I hope you are right...I’m getting tired of the excuses for him...he needs to show me something on Saturday...I need another performance like he did against Dallas....

What excuses? The guy's progressing as well as you'd hope a 2 year QB will. I'm sick of the unrealistic demands and expectations.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'll put this here, I heard Brett Favre talking on NFL radio a couple days ago about when he was a young QB (freshman) at So. Miss.

He said" my coach was explaining to me something about a play we were gonna run (this is 30 years ago), and I asked him what do we do if they blitz? he said that's when you as QB need to make something happen!"LMAO

I have imagined Daboll and Josh having this conversation in 2019!

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So wait, does scoring matter more than completion percentage? Only 9 of the top 20 made the postseason.

What are the results for the DVOAPDQIDGAF scores?

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'll put this here, I heard Brett Favre talking on NFL radio a couple days ago about when he was a young QB (freshman) at So. Miss.

He said" my coach was explaining to me something about a play we were gonna run (this is 30 years ago), and I asked him what do we do if they blitz? he said that's when you as QB need to make something happen!"LMAO

I have imagined Daboll and Josh having this conversation in 2019!

That is, IMHO, a crap OC response.  In a well-designed play, there needs to be a hot read for a blitz or the QB needs to read the blitz and check to a play that has one.

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

What excuses? The guy's progressing as well as you'd hope a 2 year QB will. I'm sick of the unrealistic demands and expectations.

what you call unrealistic I see young QBs doing all over the league...keep making excuses...

Edited by JaCrispy

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

what you call unrealistic I see young QBs doing all over the league...

Like winning 10 games and taking his team to the playoffs? How many QBs did that in their second year? 

I get it, in retrospect you wish the Bills had selected Mahomes. At the time I wanted Bills to take Watson. 

Resentment is a subtle poison. Unless you can build a time machine and change the course of history, why don't you accept there's only a few championship caliber qb's right out of college. The rest have to develop.

Or are you one of the guys pining over Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, what Duck Hodges?

Aside from Watson and Mahomes, now in their 3rd season, what young QB all over the league do you think is way out performing Josh Allen?

Edited by Motorin'

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

what you call unrealistic I see young QBs doing all over the league...keep making excuses... 

Young QBs that played at Wyoming for 2 years and were wholly unpolished coming into the league?

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is, IMHO, a crap OC response.  In a well-designed play, there needs to be a hot read for a blitz or the QB needs to read the blitz and check to a play that has one.

Gotta head over to the “which QB” thread for more details...

• Haha (+1) 1

I appreciate the contribution.  I don't know if it is my computer or the video itself, but the sound quality makes it very hard for me to listen and get anything out of it.  I do have a fairly significant hearing impairment, but a lot of videos I can hear just fine.

28 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Like winning 10 games and taking his team to the playoffs? How many QBs did that in their second year? 

I get it, in retrospect you wish the Bills had selected Mahomes. At the time I wanted Bills to take Watson. 

Resentment is a subtle poison. Unless you can build a time machine and change the course of history, why don't you accept there's only a few championship caliber qb's right out of college. The rest have to develop.

Or are you one of the guys pining over Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, what Duck Hodges?

Aside from Watson and Mahomes, now in their 3rd season, what young QB all over the league do you think is way out performing Josh Allen?

Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones are both having better rookie years than Allen’s sophomore year...

And everybody knows the main reason the Bills are in the playoffs is not because of Allen...

And it’s not resentment, it’s envy...I envy teams with good QB play...because at this point, we have had it very sparingly in Allen’s first two seasons...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was an attempt at humor at how archaic the systems were 30 years ago compared to today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones are both having better rookie years than Allen’s sophomore year...

And everybody knows the main reason the Bills are in the playoffs is not because of Allen...

Define better. They both threw more INT's than Josh. 7 of Murray's picks came in his last 5 games. Josh threw 3 INT's in his last 11 games. 

And is Daniel Jones really having a better year than Josh Allen? 

His 3,000 passing yards and 26 TD's are better than Josh Allen's 3,000 passing yards and 30 TD's?  These are really the margins that you're staking your "Josh Allen isn't good enough" claims on to prove that young qb's are way out performing him all over the league? 

I think a lot of fans negativity towards Josh is fueled by resentment and it's clouding their ability to accept where he's at as well as his ability to continue to get better.  EDIT - envy is another deadly sin my brethren Bills fan!  

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

And it’s not resentment, it’s envy...I envy teams with good QB play...because at this point, we have had it very sparingly in Allen’s first two seasons...

By what metrics are they doing so?

Have a look at this and let me know:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

• Like (+1) 1