Is Josh Allen A Good Quarterback??? (Good Film Breakdown)

Scorp83

That was a very fair take.  I’ve been extremely frustrated by the utter lack of any success against C1 & C0 and I’ve largely pinned that on Allen.  The analysis looks solid - there’s things Allen needs to do better, but he’s doing a lot right and there’s a lot of blame to go around.

The rollout against Earl Thomas was really interesting.  I remember blaming Allen for that play because he left a clean pocket early and rolled into pressure.  I’ll take being wrong there if it means Allen was doing right.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wow! Great break down. Thanks, Scorp. There was a lot that went wrong in that game, and I suspect others. The difference, Allen was able to cover for some of those mistakes with his athleticism and legs against lesser teams. I'm confident he'll bounce back this week.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Nice video. And yes the part of why he rolled out of a seemingly good pocket is a must see for a lot of fans!

Unfortunately, the "fans" who most need to see it won't watch. Anything that explains away their narrative will be dismissed as propaganda.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m not sure it’s a “Great breakdown” as only our trolls don’t see the other aspects that cause ‘poor showings’ by Allen.

But it is appreciated for those who rarely see him play and accept the early narrative that he’s not going to ever be great.

He had some genuinely good assessments in there that other guys who review film seem to have missed - including the seemingly inexplicable reason Allen rolled right out of a perfectly good pocket on that play to Knox, and the reason the call on the play where Allen injured his ankle was a poor choice.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Great Breakdown I wanted to share with the fanbase.

Check it out!

Omg thank you for this share.  This is the best damn break down I have seen this year.  This is why I keep banging the table for people to stop putting 100% of the blame on Allen.  Yes, he makes mistakes but the offense as a whole is a bigger issue than the few mistakes he makes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Unfortunately, the "fans" who most need to see it won't watch. Anything that explains away their narrative will be dismissed as propaganda.

Eventually this thread will contain people that call it nonsense.  Josh missed the first two deep balls and that is the entire reason we lost.  Had he hit one of them then the Ravens would have surely never blitzed again.  That will be the narrative in some form.

• Like (+1) 1

Great video - thanks for sharing!

It's nice to have a neutral observer who seems to know his stuff provide the extra perspective needed to assess a position like QB.  I really believed and this video seemed to confirm that Allen played very well in the 2nd half.  Hopefully we won't have another game this season were so many pieces of the offense misfired at critical moments.

• Like (+1) 2

The breakdown of the Knox drop is great. I've seen so many people say Allen bailed the pocket early or needed to hit Beasley. If he had done either of those things it would have no chance of being a completion. He did exactly the right thing and it still failed because Knox turned his head before securing the catch.

I also didn't realize how catchable his prayer throw to Foster was. In slow motion it looks to me like it hits him in the hands. Yeah he's kind of getting pulled down by the defender but that's a catch other teams make all the time.

Please get this man a #1 receiver next year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The breakdown of the Knox drop is great. I've seen so many people say Allen bailed the pocket early or needed to hit Beasley. If he had done either of those things it would have no chance of being a completion. He did exactly the right thing and it still failed because Knox turned his head before securing the catch.

I also didn't realize how catchable his prayer throw to Foster was. In slow motion it looks to me like it hits him in the hands. Yeah he's kind of getting pulled down by the defender but that's a catch other teams make all the time.

Please get this man a #1 receiver next year.

There are a lot of big, physical WR's in the NFL who would have made that catch.  Mahomes has been the beneficiary of a umber of those kinds of catches over the last 2 seasons. 

It's frustrating because had Foster held onto that ball people are showing that replay as a testament to Allen's play making ability.

• Like (+1) 1

Brown does well for his size but he's not Hopkins or Julio Jones and even if he was Peters is one of the best physical corners.  They were pressing Brown with Peters because Peters had the size advantage and is best in press coverage.  I'm not trying to say Brown ran a good route.   I'm saying I still don't think he's lazy he just didn't get it done on that play. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We aim to please....(sometimes we miss)

Knox frustrates me so much.  He can be a Mauler at times blocking.  Then he can totally whiff, like he did on that strip sack block on Judon. 

He can bring in the high degree of difficulty catch.  Then he can drop the bunnies.

I need throat lozenges to make it through the game, and Knox is one reason why.

??? I totally agree with you on that

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There are a lot of big, physical WR's in the NFL who would have made that catch.  Mahomes has been the beneficiary of a umber of those kinds of catches over the last 2 seasons. 

It's frustrating because had Foster held onto that ball people are showing that replay as a testament to Allen's play making ability.

Yes.  That throw, the Knox throw, the throw to Beasley.  Heck, even the Singletary drop.  And I'm sorry, Brown, but #1 guys do make the defended catch.

I'm sure our guys know it, and will do all their possible to show up Locked In.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

That was a very fair take.  I’ve been extremely frustrated by the utter lack of any success against C1 & C0 and I’ve largely pinned that on Allen.  The analysis looks solid - there’s things Allen needs to do better, but he’s doing a lot right and there’s a lot of blame to go around.

The rollout against Earl Thomas was really interesting.  I remember blaming Allen for that play because he left a clean pocket early and rolled into pressure.  I’ll take being wrong there if it means Allen was doing right.  

I totally agree! I was another one blaming Allen for alot of things but when you see things slowed down & all the nuances that's happening... I'm more comfortable then ever with Josh as our QB. He's really doing more than I've ever expected after getting drafted.  

Just him knowing he had to move Earl Thomas off his spot... is enough to make every Bills fan feel good about our QB. 

He needs help, I know we got him help, but he needs more help/reliability 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

I totally agree! I was another one blaming Allen for alot of things but when you see things slowed down & all the nuances that's happening... I'm more comfortable then ever with Josh as our QB. He's really doing more than I've ever expected after getting drafted.  

Just him knowing he had to move Earl Thomas off his spot... is enough to make every Bills fan feel good about our QB. 

He needs help, I know we got him help, but he needs more help/reliability 

I still worry about his accuracy, but if this is where he’s at right now then he’s going to get some real time (through his option year) to settle in.  And he’s definitely going to get some more help toward that end.  A true #1 WR with size and speed, help at OT and probably an upgrade at TE are coming next season.  This team can really become scary good. 

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Some people are quick to forget he was the rawest prospect in the draft.  He’s still a work in progress.  So glad we got him and didn’t try for Darnold who looks like he is what he is now. 

Exactly, I actually view this as Allen’s REAL rookie season based on how raw he was