Is Josh Allen A Good Quarterback??? (Good Film Breakdown)

Scorp83

Continued TEAM improvement is what is needed most, along with more experience for Josh and other young players!! IMO Josh was definitely more poised and in control against the Ravens defense than he was earlier in the season against the Pats defense!! I would give the edge to the Ravens defense in comparison. The future looks awesome once this team offense has another year or so together. Maybe sooner?!

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Knox frustrates me so much.  He can be a Mauler at times blocking.  Then he can totally whiff, like he did on that strip sack block on Judon. 

He can bring in the high degree of difficulty catch.  Then he can drop the bunnies.

I need throat lozenges to make it through the game, and Knox is one reason why.

I understand the frustration, but he is a rookie that was drafted more on his physical potential than his pass blocking polish and huge receiving numbers. 

I see him a lot like Josh. He needs work on the fundamentals this offseason and needs to work out the dropsies, but I expect him to take a huge step next season. In the meantime, he will continue to make some amazing plays interspersed with some really frustrating fails. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

I understand the frustration, but he is a rookie that was drafted more on his physical potential than his pass blocking polish and huge receiving numbers. 

I see him a lot like Josh. He needs work on the fundamentals this offseason and needs to work out the dropsies, but I expect him to take a huge step next season. In the meantime, he will continue to make some amazing plays interspersed with some really frustrating fails. 

Oh, I get it, Bob.  In fact, I’m pretty sure that Knox was supposed to sit and learn this year with occasional cameo appearances while Kroft and Smith manned the trenches.

But Kroft couldn’t get/stay healthy, and Smith became a penalty machine, so Hard Knox it is.  Singletary too.   

It’s just frustrating to watch sometimes, especially when we watch teams around the league get more from their receiving corps

• Like (+1) 1

Can the professionals please watch this and attempt to deliver the same quality analysis? 

Outstanding work. 

Raises questions about Daboll who I guess also didn’t hear Booger plead with America not to allow tight ends block defensive Ends. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Exactly right it is all about the narrative & with Allen it is negative.  I see the same thing without having to see film.  To me Daboll does a lousy job, receivers drop too much, they are not physical, seldom a great catch and usually know the play call in advance.

He was running for his life, took a # of hits & receivers didn't do their job & this was one of his worst games.

Everyone knows we need a true #1 WR.  I believe we’ll buy one in free agency or draft one which is more of a chance as you just don’t know vs. a proven commodity.

We could have one that game.  Our defense was amazing.  Let’s hope we run the rock hard on Pitt tonight using no huddle.  Get those bastards tired.  Sorry mods.  Billieve.  We can win this game, and it will be epic next Saturday if that happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Kind of makes my point that brown doesn’t do well on press man to man coverage. He doesn’t play physical at all. Would have loved to see duke get that shot at that point of the game. No cb is going to be able to keep up with his physicality. He can create space when there is none by using his size. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

More examples of  Dumboll calling plays that take way too long to develop while the defense is bringing a 6 or 7 man blitz. The the right OC, Josh could be deadly. Besides he still doesn't have a #1 we or #1 te.

This is what I was saying when people were blaming Josh. Josh didnt play great... but the gameplan was awful. Our first two series of scripted plays were slow developing drop backs and oddly long handoffs (almost delays)... this seems like a terrible idea against the #1 blitzing defense in the league..

OK ............. second time I watched that video and I still don't see Daboll being the problem pointed out by it.  He clearly says that Brown didn't win vs Peters.  He spends a ton of time on Knox dropping a 3rd down on a mesh concept.  He explains we've done very well on "money" plays all season and not so well on them vs Baltimore.  I counted 1 play where he said it could have been the playcall and that was assuming Allen was supposed to take a 1step drop on a play that was slower developing than what a one step drop would seem to be.  Really most of the analysis would lead you to believe our OL needs to stop tripping over each other, Knox needs to get more consistant, and our WR's picked a bad week to have their worst games.  Peters is a pretty good cb and it was clear Brown was going to have a tough time early on.  That's what makes Knox, Beasley, and Singletary dropping passes even more critical.  All that said I don't think Daboll is in the upper echelon of OC's but he's done a pretty good job and I still don't think he called a horrible game vs Baltimore.  There's plays there we've made before that we didn't make in that game.

17 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He’s better than I thought he would be this early on. Needs more consistency and production for me to definitively say he’s a good QB.

After seeing Duck Hodges last night, I'd say his development is looking good & Josh is not even a finish product. I think he's almost good right now & might be good come next season ?

Even Chris Collingswoth made the comment yesterday that Josh is really a Good QB with great skill sets. He just needs to work on the *SMALL* things that make the biggest difference.   He sees a long career for Josh in Buffalo

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

After seeing Duck Hodges last night, I'd say his development is looking good & Josh is not even a finish product. I think he's almost good right now & might be good come next season ?

What does Hodges have to do with Allen’s development? Seems like such a silly point to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Kids home from college surfing YouTube TV and found this.

I’m not one to watch these as I simply don’t have the kind of time many on here seem to have. 
    This shows 4 or 5 critical plays with some nice All 22 views that show Josh isn’t quite as bad as some would have us believe.

Mods, if this has been shared I couldn’t find it, please merge.