Antonio Brown: Apology Tour - Preparing for return?

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apologies kind of work better when you say "I blew it, me bad, I need to do better" vs. justifying yourself and making excuses

Gotta agree with that, It’s more like a, “it’s everyone else’s fault tour”, the guy is hopeless at this point, he has a very limited time to get his three-hundred pounds of BS into a ten pound bag.... he is over thirty, and the clock is ticking.

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

Here’s some of AB’s quotes from that interview, for those who didn’t listen.

https://theathletic.com/1588486/2020/02/06/antonio-brown-despises-juju-has-love-for-ben-roethlisberger-and-explains-why-he-left-the-steelers/ (sub, req.)

Brown didn’t appreciate the post.

“I never said anything about JuJu,” Brown said. “When you are Antonio Brown and you become this big guy in this big spot, when somebody comes at me negatively, I can’t even come back at them. JuJu Smith-Schuster was a young guy who DM’d me in college saying how much he looked up to me and how he wanted to work with me then you get a chance to work with me and you have your best season ever and I am about to leave and you post a picture of you scoring a touchdown on the team I am going to saying you are ready. That’s a form of disrespect.”

“You are talking about a young guy coming into the league looking up to Antonio Brown and wanting to be the next Antonio Brown and they start to see what Antonio Brown is like and they want to be Antonio Brown,” Brown said. “Being me comes with some kind of envy. People want to be the guy who makes the big plays and guys who get the stats, so when you see a guy like JuJu who you took under your wing and showed so much respect … I gave JuJu Smith-Schuster all the positive cheat codes and all the stuff to be successful and to watch a guy call me out when I am moving forward with positive and he is moving forward with positive … people have to show more respect and be more considerate with others.”

“There’s no beef. I have nothing against JuJu Smith-Schuster,” Brown said. “Why would I? I am who he wants to be. I’m in a position when he’s describing to be. If you want to call out AB, you better set your standards high like AB because if there not, somebody has to tell him because that’s the problem with the country nowadays. They have nobody to tell them the truth. JuJu Smith-Schuster is running around with 500 yards and everyone thinks he’s the world. The Steelers didn’t make the playoffs. That is a problem.”

The entire interview changed when the host brought up JuJu.

AB’s voice and whole demeanor immediately changed. He got very upset and it led to a long rant that pretty much lasted the rest of the interview. It seems pretty clear that he HATES JuJu.

Here are a couple comments on Big Ben -

“There’s no beef. I have nothing against JuJu Smith-Schuster,” Brown said. “Why would I? I am who he wants to be. I’m in a position when he’s describing to be. If you want to call out AB, you better set your standards high like AB because if there not, somebody has to tell him because that’s the problem with the country nowadays. They have nobody to tell them the truth. JuJu Smith-Schuster is running around with 500 yards and everyone thinks he’s the world. The Steelers didn’t make the playoffs. That is a problem.”

“Ben is nonchalant to what people think about him,” Brown said. “People talk behind his back but not really share to his face, so a lot of people who deal with Ben is not dealing with him with the reality of what it is. They are really nervous to tell him what he really is based on his position. A guy like me, we had a real heart-to-heart and hashed it out, but a lot of stuff built up and it was too late.

“Do I hate Ben? No. Do I love Ben? Yes. Ben is a great guy, a great person, a great quarterback and all the disappointments frustration we had could’ve been hashed out, but when egos and emotions get involved, a lot of things go different ways. He got JuJu Smith-Schuster. I guess, you know, that worked better for him.”

Edited by BillsFan4

15 hours ago, H2o said:

The apology tour is because he is realizing that his lifestyle + his current income + his current consequences = broke in a short period of time without that NFL $$$. 

He’s made about $71M in the NFL.  Plus whatever advertisement money he made.  That doesn’t include anything he gets from his lawsuits against the Pats/Raiders.  I’m not saying that he won’t blow through it all, but it’s going to take real effort.  Even after taxes that’s a lot of money. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/antonio-brown-6702/cash-earnings/

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He’s made about $71M in the NFL.  Plus whatever advertisement money he made.  That doesn’t include anything he gets from his lawsuits against the Pats/Raiders.  I’m not saying that he won’t blow through it all, but it’s going to take real effort.  Even after taxes that’s a lot of money. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/antonio-brown-6702/cash-earnings/

Mike Tyson blew through more, if you are a bad with money it can go rather easily.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Mike Tyson blew through more, if you are a bad with money it can go rather easily.

Sure he can.  He seems like the kind of guy who’ll do it too.  I’m just pointing out the gravity of the situation if/when it happens. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Sure he can.  He seems like the kind of guy who’ll do it too.  I’m just pointing out the gravity of the situation if/when it happens. 

Brown will have an NFL pension at some point in his 50's which might give him a 6 figure salary given he has 9 credited seasons that might be his only income by then.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You have to take into account his homes he has to pay at least taxes on yearly, his lifestyle, his vehicles and their yearly taxes/costs, if his ex goes for child support, his outstanding lawsuits, lawyer fees, the production of his "music", it will dissipate rather quickly regardless of how many people he tries to stiff. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/6/2020 at 3:59 PM, BringBackFergy said:

He’s on the apology tour which is a good thing. Baby steps. Hope he gets back to normalcy. 

Normal being.......acting like an arrogant dirt bag, quitting on his team, raping women, stiffing people on money he owes for services......?

Frankly, the only way this guy ever learns to act like a human is once he’s lost everything. 

17 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Normal being.......acting like an arrogant dirt bag, quitting on his team, raping women, stiffing people on money he owes for services......?

Frankly, the only way this guy ever learns to act like a human is once he’s lost everything. 

You might be right.  In theory, it's not impossible, but words on a media tour won't do it.  Guy needs to get his personal affairs in order: pay all the people he's stiffed, come to a workable agreement with his Babymamma that protects the kids and avoids future drama, settle his court case.

At this point it doesn’t really matter because even if a team signs him - you have to figure with multiple sexual assault cases pending and his taped actions toward his “baby mamma” - plus now another legit assault case that he was arrested for with damages to other people’s property - he is not playing for a team in 2020. 

He is looking at a full year suspension without pay before he can ever play again.  Why would anyone sign on for that.  That would be a whole year of a guy on your team giving you nothing, but being put in a position to make it worse and make your team look bad.  

We saw exactly what kind of damage he could do to teams while still in the NFL and then we saw the crazy come out while not on a team.  What are the chances he gets better after a sit down with the commissioner and being told he is getting suspended without pay for 8, 10, or even 16 weeks.  He will explode again and make it worse.

Just let him go and let the drama wash over you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

set up a contract where he only gets paid at the end of the year if he causes zero drama.  

Even if you tried to set-up a signing bonus to be paid at the end with good behavior - a la the Pats.  

If he eventually plays for you team and screws up - you have a law suit coming your way to get his money.  Why bother with the headaches for a guy that is looking for free money.  

He signed with Oakland with no real intention of playing there - just to get the money.  Then tried double dipping with the Pats and couldn’t make that organization work.

I do not want him for any money or any reason on my team.  The negative outweighs the positive even if he could play a full season coming up.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Apologies are a lot more acceptable for an incident or two.

Not this. Fake apologies are easy to see.

...isn't he busy with college and final exams?......think he's at FUBAR U................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not allowed under the CBA.  Players get paid on a per-game basis.

league minimum with a year two bonus that’s guaranteed if on the roster X date this season would accomplish it for all intents and purposes 

• Like (+1) 1