Antonio Brown: Apology Tour - Preparing for return?

16 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If I'm Beane I'm not adverse to making a very heavily incentive laden contract offer.  Really nothing to lose with Brown and the upside is something that everyone understands.  

Where is the damn “mad as hell” emoji????

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[shudder] I do hope you are not Beane.

I think that AB has “mad issues”.  Being photographed with his smiley Babymomma at a nightclub and handing out chocolate penises as gifts on a radio show doesn’t exactly yield confidence that he’s truly addressed them and is willing to 1) buckle down, study, and master a complex offense 2) practice consistently to build confidence with a young, sometimes erratic QB 3) be a good teammate, especially if he doesn’t get the targets he thinks he should when he thinks he should get ‘em

What is the risk to team/culture?

First hint, he's gone.  No one would bat an eye.  

Forget about the Antonio Brown of the past.  That dog don't hunt no more.  Structure a contract that makes him happy if he hits incentives, but makes cutting him a non-issue.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Forget about the Antonio Brown of the past.  That dog don't hunt no more.  Structure a contract that makes him happy if he hits incentives, but makes cutting him a non-issue.

I have to agree.  I don't see much of a downside in signing him.  He is likely to be on his best behavior and the team is such a tight nit group already, I doubt anything AB does is going to distrupt that.  Like you said, first hint of trouble and he is gone. 

He would be kind of like a mercenary that the team knows they can dispose of if he becomes more trouble than he's worth.  Also I think this team has a chip on their shoulder.  If the think AB can help them get them to the Super Bowl or win the Super Bowl, I think almost the entire locker room would be willing to take the risk, maybe not Robert Foster.

Edited by J-GunJoshAllen17

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The risk is the insane media hounding everyone all day everyday. I mean first he is probably suspended for quite some time when/if he signs somewhere.  Second is the constant pressure from the media. Every practice, every game. 
So we really need a guy who will throw temper tantrums when we’re winning 24-10 in the 4th quarter cause his stats don’t look good? In the end the TEAM doesn’t need every national reporter bothering every player fishing for a steamy quote to blow up Twitter. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Although he wasn't a fraction of the headcase AB is, Terrell Owens came to Buffalo and had himself a fine season.  No trouble, no drama and very decent production.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

The risk is the insane media hounding everyone all day everyday. I mean first he is probably suspended for quite some time when/if he signs somewhere.  Second is the constant pressure from the media. Every practice, every game. 
So we really need a guy who will throw temper tantrums when we’re winning 24-10 in the 4th quarter cause his stats don’t look good? In the end the TEAM doesn’t need every national reporter bothering every player fishing for a steamy quote to blow up Twitter. 

I forgot about the media.

Just now, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

I forgot about the media.

It would be a daily hot topic and a 24/7 media circus. 
Every bad throw, bad game, shoot even good game.. They would be hounding everyone all the time for quotes. Nothing the team accomplished would even be acknowledged any success would be instant Antonio brown. And bad games would immediately be why can’t they get him the ball more. It would just be a circus, even worse than the browns last offseason, or the dream team eagles of years ago.. Just a headache for all involved 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

First, I disagree. Second, the team makes players available, or not. Third, if they can't handle the media then maybe we have bigger issues that need fixing.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

It would be a daily hot topic and a 24/7 media circus. 
Every bad throw, bad game, shoot even good game.. They would be hounding everyone all the time for quotes. Nothing the team accomplished would even be acknowledged any success would be instant Antonio brown. And bad games would immediately be why can’t they get him the ball more. It would just be a circus, even worse than the browns last offseason, or the dream team eagles of years ago.. Just a headache for all involved 

Yes, New England unraveled because of the media pressure.

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

First, I disagree. Second, the team makes players available, or not. Third, if they can't handle the media then maybe we have bigger issues that need fixing.

Yes, New England unraveled because of the media pressure.

He was with New England one game buddy. And they targeted him quite well for the snaps he played. NOBODY wants that media circus. Not just Buffalo. 
Tim Tebow

Kaep

Add Antonio Brown to the list. 
Players who have potential to play but are not worth the media headache that follows them. 
Seriously it’s not like you have an original idea here or something, guy has been a free agent all this time and nobody is even sniffing around him for a contract. Hmmmm wonder why. 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

If I'm Beane I'm not adverse to making a very heavily incentive laden contract offer.  Really nothing to lose with Brown and the upside is something that everyone understands.  

Why - what are you expecting from him.  He will be suspended at minimum 8 games - so you get a guy that doesn’t care and you have to put up with him for 1/2 a season not around risking making you look stupid.

Plus how motivated do you think he will be to take a low guaranteed contract.  I do not see him being happy if a team like Buffalo that he already bad mouthed - offers him and incentive laden contract - my guess is you could lose a lot for very little reward.  

With little effort he could destroy your team just by leaking garbage or live streaming a meeting. 

If I am Beane - Brown can sit and rot - we would look elsewhere for talent that will actually play for you.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

He was with New England one game buddy. And they targeted him quite well for the snaps he played. NOBODY wants that media circus. Not just Buffalo. 
Tim Tebow

Kaep

Add Antonio Brown to the list. 
Players who have potential to play but are not worth the media headache that follows them. 
Seriously it’s not like you have an original idea here or something, guy has been a free agent all this time and nobody is even sniffing around him for a contract. Hmmmm wonder why. 

I don't know you, so I'm not your buddy.

You are putting far too much weight on the media's ability to affect a group of individuals.  You might be an old codger, like I said, I don't know you, but, kids these days are well equipped to handle what's going on around them.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Why - what are you expecting from him.  He will be suspended at minimum 8 games - so you get a guy that doesn’t care and you have to put up with him for 1/2 a season not around risking making you look stupid.  How so?  He is a known problem.  The only risk of looking stupid would be getting torched by him.

Plus how motivated do you think he will be to take a low guaranteed contract.  I do not see him being happy if a team like Buffalo that he already bad mouthed - offers him and incentive laden contract - my guess is you could lose a lot for very little reward.  He takes it or he doesn't.  He meets incentives he gets paid, that's the incentive part of an incentive laden contract.

With little effort he could destroy your team just by leaking garbage or live streaming a meeting. Put the Jeter rule into effect.  As far as leaking...at this point, does anyone pay attention to him?

If I am Beane - Brown can sit and rot - we would look elsewhere for talent that will actually play for you.

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I don't know you, so I'm not your buddy.

You are putting far too much weight on the media's ability to affect a group of individuals.  You might be an old codger, like I said, I don't know you, but, kids these days are well equipped to handle what's going on around them.

The media can absolutely destroy teams. But if you can’t see that already there’s no point in me going on about it. 

I call everyone buddy. Sorry if you don’t like that. There’s a block button and you’ll never have to see it again. I will drop it and agree to disagree.  Enjoy your evening. 

15 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The media can absolutely destroy teams. But if you can’t see that already there’s no point in me going on about it. 

I call everyone buddy. Sorry if you don’t like that. There’s a block button and you’ll never have to see it again. I will drop it and agree to disagree.  Enjoy your evening. 

What teams has the media destroyed?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What teams has the media destroyed?

I’m sure there’s a lot, off the top of my head I guess.. 

The old dream team philly Eagles.. 

The 2018 Steelers. 
2019 browns. 
3 extremely talented teams. Media jumped on them and they crumbled with the non stop pressure. 
‘18 Steelers specifically with bell sitting out. Every practice, every game, every reporter wanted to know how the team feels about bell. Anyone who responded was on ESPN all day the next day. Every game, would they be winning more with Bell etc etc.. 
Teams don’t want all that extra attention. 
Players and coaches don’t want the hassle of discussing one player non stop and every little aspect of him. Is he in shape? Is he practicing hard? Does he have a rapport with the quarterback? 
Look what the media did to the Raiders on top of them being on hard knocks as well. 
Gruden and Mayock has to discuss browns frost bitten feet everyday for weeks. Then the barrage of releasing him. 
I get it, brown has game changing elite talent. 
He’s in an upper category from Tebow and Kaep, but to me it’s the same thing. Teams wouldn’t touch those guys because of the media that follows them. If you’re New England. Or New Orleans or another established program the risk isn’t as bad. 
But for a team building and trying to establish themselves it’s a very unneeded distraction. 
For the most part this entire topic is probably completely pointless, he’s still being investigated for the sexual whatever he is accused of, which was considered a probable suspension already. Now he’s facing new criminal charges over the battery or whatever his actual charges are over the moving company.  It’s extremely possible the league suspends him longer than a year. And they won’t rule on it until a team signs him i believe. 
So he’d be looking at being signed, then put on the exempt list or whatever while they finish investigating, then a crazy punishment after. The NFL doesn’t want him back after what he has done the last year. They have plenty of stars they don’t need him or the negative press either. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Common, voice your objections to an incentive laden deal?  What is the possible downside? 

Exactly what I said - he comes in suspended and acts up never even getting on the field - airing dirty laundry - turning players and coaches.  You get rid of him and he acts even worse bad talking everything about your team - especially your young QB.

Now you have media storm surrounding the team.

It would be one thing if he cared and really wanted to play, but it seems obvious that he doesn’t care - see his treatment of the team and management in Oakland.  He wants the money and doesn’t want to do anything to get it.  He is working lawsuits against 2 NFL teams already - let’s add ours to the list.

Additionally - let’s say Beane loses his mind and does this - now you have your #1 WR - suspended for most likely at least half the season - although my guess is with 2 sexual assault cases pending, multiple failure to pay lawsuits, and a full on assault case he was arrested for - it could be longer.  

Now you have signed him - does that prevent you from making a move to improve the WR position more.  Then like Oakland and NE found out - he screws your team and now you have no #1 WR and you wasted time and resources on nothing.  Plus you now have a potential rookie coming in and getting to learn and see the Diva act - it could create issues with development.

The team places a huge emphasis on veteran leaders teaching the young players how to do things right - why would you want the WR room - the easiest room to go insane (Diva’s) - to have the king Diva present showing all the wrong ways of doing things.

What I see is a player/contract with little upside (he couldn’t even make it work in NE and blasted the owners and team when he left) and lots of potential to destroy what you are building - especially at QB. 

• Like (+1) 1