Buffalo Bills & Drops

Billsfan1972

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I feel most of it falls on Allen, his passes have been behind or just rockets. He definitely needs to work on his touch with a RB in the flat or a TE that is 6 yards away. I think Knox and Singletary have good hands but are still feeling out Allen.

You usually  tend towards this

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I understand the thought process and will not flame you at all for the sentiment, but these are people getting paid a bazillion dollars to catch a football. Brett Favre threw REALLY hard, so did Elway, so do plenty of QB's. Catch the damn ball. Turn up the Jugs machine all week to Plaid, and get it right.

Completely agree. They need to be better. That's what has me wondering if it's coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I feel most of it falls on Allen, his passes have been behind or just rockets. He definitely needs to work on his touch with a RB in the flat or a TE that is 6 yards away. I think Knox and Singletary have good hands but are still feeling out Allen.

I disagree it is on Allen.  Proffessional football players are paid to catch the ball.  Allen's passes are not any harder than other NFL QB's.  If they get their hands on it they should catch it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Wind means nothing when the ball hits receivers either on the hands or in the chest.  The ball is there.

And if a pass catcher can't handle a fastball, then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

It's pathetic and it's cost us games.  A lot of these drops have been either imminent first downs or imminent touchdowns.

Ridiculous.

I still say experience is the largest factor. Dont have a number but would you agree that many of the drops the receiver is already turning his head downfield before he secures the ball. 1 by Knox and 1 by Singletary this past week alone. Edit: I'm not going to panic yet like some have .

Edited by fansince88

29 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Yes it definitely falls on Allen that Knox drops a ball not because placement or how hard he threw it... but because Knox turned his head to start running before he caught the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Do you watch other football games?  Not just the NFL but also in college you will see all sorts of receivers catching balls that are low, high, or to one side or the other. 

But from my vantage point, in the drops I've seen the ball was mostly on the money and didn't have excessive velocity. 

It's actually stunning that the Bills have FOUR receivers with the most drops in the top 45 players with drops in the NFL.  Considering the total # of receivers available to include in this list this is an amazing stat.

I agree with others that have noted that both Singleterry & Knox have little college experience in pass receiving.  And Beasley & Brown may not be used to the tight windows Allen puts the ball. 

But the reality is that this stat more then any other IMO has contributed significantly to our offensive struggles.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Couldn't disagree more

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Wonder how the 90’s teams drop rates fared in the Rich Stadium winds during the playoffs etc. for comparison?

Yeah, OP comparing the Bills to Florida and Dome teams with GOAT QBs is what's pathetic.   Go get me some useful comparison data and come back.    Everyone bitching after a loss and then buying SB tickets after a win. 

Dawson Knox and Motor are huge breaths of fresh air at those positions.   They're rookies who will get even better at their positions.

Go Beane.   Great drafting, seven solid starters in 2 drafts.  Coach 'em up McD.  These are early days.  

Trust the Process. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

It's God's fault...

sj.jpg.7ca094df2947a3b6289ebe437af08ba2.jpg

Every thing god makes dies... 

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I understand the thought process and will not flame you at all for the sentiment, but these are people getting paid a bazillion dollars to catch a football. Brett Favre threw REALLY hard, so did Elway, so do plenty of QB's. Catch the damn ball. Turn up the Jugs machine all week to Plaid, and get it right.

They traded the JUGS machine to the Raiders and he is on IR.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

For Singletary and Knox, I attribute it to their college careers: nether were pass catchers. In addition, it does take time for most receivers to get used to the NFL level. 

As a reminder, Robert Woods was perpetually flamed here: look at home now. Patience is required at this level for almost everyone. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Wind means nothing when the ball hits receivers either on the hands or in the chest.  The ball is there.

And if a pass catcher can't handle a fastball, then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

It's pathetic and it's cost us games.  A lot of these drops have been either imminent first downs or imminent touchdowns.

Ridiculous.

Both of these are spot on. Knox and Singletary didn't get many passes to them in college and using conditions as an excuse(maybe rain) is stretching it, if it hits their hands they should be catching them or at least not dropping as many.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Found this & alarming.....

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2019&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Knox 26 catches, 9 drops, Singletary 4 of 26, Beasley & Brown too with 4.  Knew it was bad, but downright pathetic.

28 drops and 252 completions so drop rate of 11.1%

Saints have 26, however 342 completions so 7.6%

Bucs 19 of 316 so 6.0%

Can you say Duke Williams?( I like the way you say that) it just might be a sign that he needs to be active on game day, and used.  Go ahead and flame away, but he is no worse than our other WRs and likely better at the most important thing, CATCHING the damn ball. A particularly important part of the passing game...

Go Bills!!!

40 minutes ago, JK Fan said:

I disagree it is on Allen.  Proffessional football players are paid to catch the ball.  Allen's passes are not any harder than other NFL QB's.  If they get their hands on it they should catch it.

A strong arm QB throws the ball at about 60 and Allen throws at 70mph. He actually throws faster than the freaking Jugs. He needs to work on ball placement and velocity in different situations. 

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

A strong arm QB throws the ball at about 60 and Allen throws at 70mph. He actually throws faster than the freaking Jugs. He needs to work on ball placement and velocity in different situations. 

Any maths that shows 70 mph throws all game long? As has been stated above, when the ball hits your hands or chest there are no excuses, and it has indeed cost us games. It appears our coaches need to sharpen their tutorials on catching the ball. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I don't care if Allen throws hard. Catch the ball. Knox has got to do better. Singletary is a running back so I don't care that much on his. But the primary job of receivers and tight ends is to catch the ball. It isn't to get YAC. It isn't even to score TD's. Catching the ball trumps every other good thing they could do on the field. Inexcusable to be looking up field before the ball is secured. That's drilled into children at the lowest levels of football.

I'm never going to blame the QB for dropped passes. It's the receiver's job.

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Bull. Allen isn't throwing every ball as hard as he can. And these recievers have been catching balls from him all year. They just need to do better.

• Like (+1) 3