Buffalo Bills & Drops

Billsfan1972

Found this & alarming.....

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2019&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Knox 26 catches, 9 drops, Singletary 4 of 26, Beasley & Brown too with 4.  Knew it was bad, but downright pathetic.

28 drops and 252 completions so drop rate of 11.1%

Saints have 26, however 342 completions so 7.6%

Bucs 19 of 316 so 6.0%

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Based on the fact that we had this problem last year, and that all four of those guys are new to the team this year- makes you wonder how much of that is on coaching?

also, wonder if Allen puts too much heat on the ball. Though I remember a lot of drops that weren’t thrown hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

On Singeltary’s drop on the swing pass last week, did anyone else notice how he tried to move his entire body to catch a ball that was coming in at his waistline? Just use your damn hands!! If he had caught it he would have had more acceleration without dropping his hips.

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

also, wonder if Allen puts too much heat on the ball. 

I understand the thought process and will not flame you at all for the sentiment, but these are people getting paid a bazillion dollars to catch a football. Brett Favre threw REALLY hard, so did Elway, so do plenty of QB's. Catch the damn ball. Turn up the Jugs machine all week to Plaid, and get it right.

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Wonder how the 90’s teams drop rates fared in the Rich Stadium winds during the playoffs etc. for comparison?

I don't remember them dropping a whole lot when the ball was right there to catch. 

• Like (+1) 5

I think some of it could be conditions, some Allen’s velocity, but the main thing is Allen is throwing to a slot WR, a #2 WR, a rookie RB and rookie TE as his main receiving options.  

I don’t know that it gets much better next year given the WR we land probably being a rookie as well, but hopefully the influx of talent will outweigh what may just be something we have to deal with for a while.  

This is also everyone’s first year A) with Allen and B) in the windy conditions of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wind means nothing when the ball hits receivers either on the hands or in the chest.  The ball is there.

And if a pass catcher can't handle a fastball, then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

It's pathetic and it's cost us games.  A lot of these drops have been either imminent first downs or imminent touchdowns.

Ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For Singletary and Knox, I attribute it to their college careers: nether were pass catchers. In addition, it does take time for most receivers to get used to the NFL level. 

As a reminder, Robert Woods was perpetually flamed here: look at him now. Patience is required at this level for almost everyone. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Found this & alarming.....

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2019&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Knox 26 catches, 9 drops, Singletary 4 of 26, Beasley & Brown too with 4.  Knew it was bad, but downright pathetic.

28 drops and 252 completions so drop rate of 11.1%

Saints have 26, however 342 completions so 7.6%

Bucs 19 of 316 so 6.0%

Not that it's good, but pro.football.reference gives our team drop rate as 6.4% - which is leading the league, by a good chalk. 

Last year we were mid-league with 4.8%

I am not sure, but I think Knox with his 20% drop rate may be a good part of that increase.  Singletary 10.8% also not good.  Some people attribute this to being rookies, as many times the drop is on easier passes where they have a ton of room - they transition to thinking about the run before they've finished "looking in" the ball.

But something is off with the calculation of 11% drops.  It's simply not that high.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not that it's good, but pro.football.reference gives our team drop rate as 6.4% - which is leading the league, by a good chalk. 

Last year we were mid-league with 4.8%

I am not sure, but I think Knox with his 20% drop rate may be a good part of that increase.  Singletary 10.8% also not good.  Some people attribute this to being rookies, as many times the drop is on easier passes where they have a ton of room - they transition to thinking about the run before they've finished "looking in" the ball.

But something is off with the calculation of 11% drops.  It's simply not that high.

The difference is one calculation is based off attempts and the other calculation is based off completions.  However, based off attempts the number is actually 6.9% not 6.4. 

edit: the 6.4 could be accurate.  I based off Josh's attempts.  I did not add in Barkley's attempts and Browns one attempt.  Adding them might drop it to 6.4 but I'm not going to bother with it.

Edited by Scott7975

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Drop rate is usually calculated as drops/targets.  That’s the main part of the difference.  Also it looks like the OP tried to figure drops as a percentage of catchable balls, but calculated it as drops/catches instead of drops/(catches+drops).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Drop rate is usually calculated as drops/targets.  That’s the main part of the difference.  Also it looks like the OP tried to figure drops as a percentage of catchable balls, but calculated it as drops/catches instead of drops/(catches+drops).

I posted above about a difference.  Good catch on this one. I didn't even really look at the math haha.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

On Singeltary’s drop on the swing pass last week, did anyone else notice how he tried to move his entire body to catch a ball that was coming in at his waistline? Just use your damn hands!! If he had caught it he would have had more acceleration without dropping his hips.

I thought he turned his head up field too soon, taking his eyes off the ball