Move over, Brady. Phillips Rivers may actually be the GOAT.

SoTier

On 12/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, Gordio said:

They should of never got rid of Brees.  They kept the wrong QB in hindsight.  

I think you are underestimating Sean Peyton contribution to Brees growth and improvement.. He was coming off a bad injury and well no one expected him be what he is today, I think his HC deserves a wee bit of credit.

Rivers had a good to HOF good HC he wins 1 or 2 SB.. he never even got above Average. 

In a perfect world, the NFL hall of fame would be stricter about who gets in so that guys like Rivers and Eli did not get in. But I think both will pretty easily make it at the end of the day.

Rivers was a good to great QB in this era. The few years he had a truly great team around him, it seemed like they had terrible injury luck at the worst times. I still remember Rivers playing on a torn ACL one year. Things just never aligned perfectly for the Chargers and they had the misfortune of being in the conference with the Brady-Patriots and Manning-Colts/Broncos. Kinda similar to all the great NBA players from the 90s that never won a title because Michael Jordan existed.

To me, guys like Rivers, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, etc. are all very good quarterbacks who could put up great numbers year after year but cannot elevate their team to win the big games.  Their teams always fade in the playoffs.