Terrell Suggs released

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

cap barely matters where we are. 

So the question is would he be better than our last DE for a possible run. 

True on the cap, unless it’s significant going forward. Not sure if Trent would be at risk, as that might have some relevant impact. I think the bottom line is that it’s a moot point. If he wants to play, he will be gone before we get a crack at him. He just might “retire” unless he likes his options, I suppose. I’ll do what I always do....wait and see what happens. 

6 hours ago, Rico said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think he has to go thru waivers, too many years in the league. I think he’s an unrestricted free agent now, and can go wherever he wants.

Nope. Any player, regardless of service time, is placed on waivers when cut after a certain point during the season. 

Josh Gordon did, Janoris Jenkins the same.

15 hours ago, Process said:

Maybe he told them he's retiring after this year and he wants to make a playoff run?

What young guys? Hughes Lawson Murphy all vets..

What happened to Johnson? Did I miss something?

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why was he released?

Because the league office told them the Ravens needed a bit more help on D to secure their spot in the SB, which will raise the TV ratings for the league.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why was he released?

He met with the coach and was told his playing time was going to be reduced to look at some younger guys.

I guess they figured mutually that an out right release would be the best option.

26 minutes ago, CSBill said:

What happened to Johnson? Did I miss something?

Because the league office told them the Ravens needed a bit more help on D to secure their spot in the SB, which will raise the TV ratings for the league.

He would have to slide by every team to wind up there.

7 hours ago, H2o said:

He was opposite of Chandler Jones who has 14 sacks. Being opposite of Hughes is not really an uptick for him. 

And he'll likely end up in Baltimore

Not really his choice.  If anyone puts in a waiver claim - the lowest ranking team gets him.  The only way he makes it to Baltimore is if they are the only team to put a claim in or he goes unclaimed.

The Bills will put a claim in just to block him getting to NE or Baltimore.

My guess is depending on his contract for next year (which seems reasonable) - many teams should put a claim in on him - even non playoff teams.  If I am the Dolphins or the Lions - put in the claim - you get a player that should have some trade value In the off-season for nothing.  If he doesn’t report - no big deal - you put him on a Non football list and let him sit until the offseason and try to trade him then.  

You could pick up an asset for no outlay.  It might tick him off, but you are not doing it to have him as a player - you are looking for the asset in return.  Same thing for a guy that will become a FA - you get another FA loss toward a future comp pick potentially.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

He met with the coach and was told his playing time was going to be reduced to look at some younger guys.

I guess they figured mutually that an out right release would be the best option.

He would have to slide by every team to wind up there.

You are probably right, but man Arizona screwed the pooch on this.  

He is still a valuable asset - with the way their season was going they should have looked to make a trade pre deadline or told him to hold on and we will work to get you to your desired team this off-season.

They just waived an asset for nothing  and for Suggs he could get screwed and end up on a bad team and mess up his reputation if he acts like a jerk.  The league is funny this way and they really should have worked out something better to benefit both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't myself. Not at age 37.

"Suggs struggled in recent games for Arizona.

"He didn't record any stats in Week 13 against the Los Angeles Rams and he followed it up with a rough performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 14.

"In 46 defensive snaps against Pittsburgh, Suggs recovered a fumble, but he did not record a tackle or a QB hit or anything else."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2019/12/13/terrell-suggs-arizona-cardinals-release-veteran-pass-rusher/2640457001/

Not just that, though. The Bills defense is absolutely humming along right now. Assuming Suggs is better today to play right with whatever guys he'd be replacing, Murphy or whoever, he'd be coming in without much sense of what the defense is.

He doesn't make this team a Super Bowl team this year and I don't think he helps us the next few years when we should be competing.

The good argument to take him is financial. Man, he'd be cheap.

I don't do it, if I'm Beane, but I could see it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TheBeane said:

Has to go through waivers first.  We should 100% put in a claim.  One key missing piece of our D is another pass rush threat.

He’s past his prime so my vote is pass.  If anything, we need to keep adding offensive weapons, but doubt any will be available until the off season.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

True on the cap, unless it’s significant going forward. Not sure if Trent would be at risk, as that might have some relevant impact. I think the bottom line is that it’s a moot point. If he wants to play, he will be gone before we get a crack at him. He just might “retire” unless he likes his options, I suppose. I’ll do what I always do....wait and see what happens. 

He has a 3m base salary this year and being 37 there aren’t long term commitments left. So claiming him would cost shy of $1m

really it’s just a matter of 3rd down in a division playoff game is he better than the last DE.

given his age and where we are in the season - I doubt many claims get made from non playoff teams. So it’s not impossible but not holding my breathe 

Edited by NoSaint

At 37 there is probably little economic reason for him to keep playing if he does not want to.  His reasons for continuing to play would seem to be from among: He loves the game and would play for anybody who wants him.  He wants a shot at the playoffs with a serious Super Bowl contender.  He feels an attachment to Baltimore and wants to finish his career there.  If either of the first two reasons apply he might come to Buffalo if the Bills were to be awarded a waiver claim, though from the outside looking in, one might conclude Buffalo's chances of a deep playoff run look slim.  The thing is, if reason #1 does not apply to Suggs, it's just about certain that he'll just retire rather than go to a team he does not want to play for.

Edited by TigerJ

You’ve got to wonder if his agent hasn’t already approached Baltimore and that they have agreed to get him on board. In that case, that agent would’ve also had to contact everybody in front of them on the waiver  list and told them that he won’t play for them and will retire if they claim him. I wouldn’t say that the Ravens have a specific on-field need for him, but veteran leadership on a team that sees itself as the Super Bowl favorite, rightfully so, definitely doesn’t hurt and just as we have been talking about, he would be a good situational pass rusher

19 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Well, if nothing else, he and Lorax could compare musical playlists from the 90’s. Sure, take a waiver wire flyer on the dude :thumbsup:

Nobody Should Claim Terrell Suggs Just so the Cardinals Get Stuck With Rest of His Salary

https://www.12up.com/posts/nobody-should-claim-terrell-suggs-just-so-the-cardinals-get-stuck-with-rest-of-his-salary-01dw0cweq66z

The Arizona Cardinals made the surprising decision to part ways with starting outside linebacker Terrell Suggs. Suggs was given a $4 million signing bonus at the beginning of the season, and any team willing to claim him would need to pay a portion of his $3 million salary, decreasing the chances he catches on.

9 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

You’ve got to wonder if his agent hasn’t already approached Baltimore and that they have agreed to get him on board. In that case, that agent would’ve also had to contact everybody in front of them on the waiver  list and told them that he won’t play for them and will retire if they claim him. I wouldn’t say that the Ravens have a specific on-field need for him, but veteran leadership on a team that sees itself as the Super Bowl favorite, rightfully so, definitely doesn’t hurt and just as we have been talking about, he would be a good situational pass rusher

If you are going to compete with Ravens you sign him and let him retire to prevent with Ravens,

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, H2o said:

He was opposite of Chandler Jones who has 14 sacks. Being opposite of Hughes is not really an uptick for him. 

And he'll likely end up in Baltimore. 

won't end up in Baltimore.  Not if we put a claim in first.  If we don't, you can bet KC and the Pats*** will.  Or Seattle, or Saints, or 49ers.  

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Nobody Should Claim Terrell Suggs Just so the Cardinals Get Stuck With Rest of His Salary

https://www.12up.com/posts/nobody-should-claim-terrell-suggs-just-so-the-cardinals-get-stuck-with-rest-of-his-salary-01dw0cweq66z

The Arizona Cardinals made the surprising decision to part ways with starting outside linebacker Terrell Suggs. Suggs was given a $4 million signing bonus at the beginning of the season, and any team willing to claim him would need to pay a portion of his $3 million salary, decreasing the chances he catches on.

If you are going to compete with Ravens you sign him and let him retire to prevent with Ravens,

exactly.  if Suggs is going to play this game, then, his loss.  He chose to sign with the Cardinals.  He could have signed with Balt.  Now if he wants to jump back in, too bad.  These are the rules.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Yeah, there was no reason he was released.

Sure there was. Cardinals are a poor team. They need to evaluate entire roster and having an old vet who may have a year or possibly two left taking reps does nothing for the future of the team. With that said, pursue him yes. Could be a great addition for remainder of the year without a doubt.